I Like Station Wagons, I cannot Lie!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by vegasphotog, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, they were imported. I find quite a few for sale on cracklist here (mostly the 544). I haven't seen a really clean example, most just a shell. One guy is even advertising his as a gasser project car (no running gear, though). It would be funny if it wasn't a waste of a decent car.
  2. Otis the Sasquatch

Otis the Sasquatch [This space for rent]

Oddometer:
    :thumb :tb Want!
  3. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Pete and I did a little work today. Cold compression on all cylinders (no oil or anything added) ran around 150 psi. We flushed the tank and fuel lines, checked the air filter and intake (all clear). Unfortunately, the fuel pump is dead, so no starting attempt right now.

Stay tuned.....
    Uke likes this.
  4. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    The P1800ES was fuel injected, right? I guess it must have an electric fuel pump, all my volvo experience is with a carbureted amazon.
  5. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Yup, fuel injected with an external electric fuel pump. Factory rebuilds are stupid money. I have one coming to the local auto parts store for 'only' $120. I'll have to do wiring and plumbing mods, but nothing worse than changing out the fuel pump on my 950.

That fuel injection system is archaic, for sure. All of the senors are electro-mechanical devices, known to get corrosion on the contacts, feeding misleading info to the 'computer'. I'm sure a Megasquirt system would work better and easier.

Ahhh, the joys of old cars.
  6. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    I'm actually a bit surprised to hear that, I thought most of the early bosch jettronic FI systems were fairly simple and robust. I don't have a lot of data about that though, just the impression I got, and 40 years of corrosion can take a toll. . . .
    I owned a P1800 for a little while, like you I saw it while I was out cruising around near home, it had a crumpled front end and was on a trailer, but I offered the guy $200, and he dropped it off at my dad's house (I was young, and had grand plans. . . .). Eventually, my dad got sick of having it in his backyard, and I was living 1000 miles away, so he donated it to a public radio station, along with the running 122s that I learned to drive on. . . . I miss those cars, but you can't keep 'em all.
  7. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures

Oddometer:
    At least the old BMW ones I'm familiar with are quite robust, but if they need parts or anything, it can get expensive in a hurry. There are also a lot of parts to wear out, things to leak, weird mechanical calibrations that no one knows how to really tune properly anymore...that kind of thing. When they are working, they work fine, though. Age can take a toll on anything.
  8. Otis the Sasquatch

Otis the Sasquatch [This space for rent]

Oddometer:
  9. Kyron

Kyron Thneed Purveyor

Oddometer:
    I completely agree
  10. Tripl Nikl

Tripl Nikl Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. HOT DAMN!

HOT DAMN! ♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer:
  12. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a wagon as a daily driver this spring. So what's available:

- 3 series BMW
    - E class Merc
    - V60 Volvo
    - VW Sportwagen
    - Subaru outback
    - Acura TSX
    - Audi A4 Avant

Am I overlooking anything?
  13. bassogap

bassogap Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lexus CT? Cadillac CTS?

That's the same list I had (well, with models available in early-'09) when I went shopping.

My criteria:
    1. room for me with one of my sons sitting behind me (we're a tall family)
    2. AWD, which knocked out the VW (otherwise, a very nice car)
    3. reliability ratings

And of course, it had to be something I actually enjoy driving, that wouldn't trigger buyer's remorse the next day/week/month/year.
  14. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    Has anyone here actually driven the Acura TSX???

It must be a decent rig as far a build quality and overall reliablity... It is pretty decent looking to and must come with some upscale features without too flashy a brand name on the hood...

:ear
  15. Mgbgt89

Mgbgt89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love that car. I regret selling my 87 so bad, My idea was the exact same swap as you. TBI and a 5 speed. What did it take to get the stick in it?
  16. Wingnut037

Wingnut037 Humbly Legit

Oddometer:
    She tows better than I thought.

[​IMG]
  17. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    Yes, I've had one several times for a loaner while my TSX Sedan was in for scheduled maintenance. I like it a lot. Enough power for me, plenty of room to carry stuff like my steel guitar, bass and amp and still not feel crowded.

Of course I've been very pleased with my '05 TSX that is now substantially over 100K miles and running just as well as when it was new.

I doubt you would go wrong with one.

jdg
  18. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures

Oddometer:
    Getting the transmission in was actually really easy. By some sheer stroke of luck, the NV3500 has the same mounting points as the 200r4 automatic that was standard in all the later box wagons (I think after '85). Just had to cut a hole in the floor, use the 200r4 mount bushing on the NV3500, and cut and weld the shift lever at a more extreme angle to clear the dash.

The pedals, on the other hand, were a pain in the ass. Had to relocate the fuse block, cut and weld the brake pedal to move it closer to the gas for heel-toe shifting as well as to make room for the clutch, and fabricate a custom clutch pedal mount. There's not any structure to the firewall there, so mounting was also pretty difficult, and finding a clutch master cylinder that fit around the massive offset brake booster these things used also took awhile. It's not a job you want to do without a welder and a bit of extra time haha.

On a whole, though, it was way easier than I expected it to be when I started the project.
  19. h2o_snow

h2o_snow Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer:

Just went through the same chat with Mrs. Snow. Add "reasonable mileage" and those were our exact thoughts. The Mrs. does not do SUV.

Sold the Sube w/ 140K - a really fun scooter but the kids are much larger now. WRX hatch was not well received by the hard core wagonheads amongst us, but.....I liked it - w/studs - an awesome snow car.

[​IMG]

Replaced with this 535xi auto. Looked for a while (manual w/sports package was an unobtainable holy grail) and finally did a fly and drive from LA. Car is under BMW warranty and got a thorough pre sale check out from the local Dinan shop.

[​IMG]

Note the Boise State garb on CA1. BSU got beat up by BYU good that eve - only blemish on an otherwise pleasant (and quick) 1,100m drive. :cry Averaged about 23mph including some higher velocity useage :wink: in the Nevada desert.

Hope the higher costs will be offset - we shall see. Thus far the sportswagon has exceeded Sue's expectations but.... gonna getto up and get a rack and box on top soon.
  20. TNWillie

TNWillie Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It took me 2 yrs of searchin CL to find a decent Corolla AllTrac wagon. It was worth the effort. I can't remember the last time I hoped we'd get alot of snow but I'm hoping for it this time around.
    I'd post a picture of it if I could figure out how.