Shoei Neotec Helmet: The Most Versatile Flip Up Helmet!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Viletouch, Nov 10, 2011.

1. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    Good report.
    Thanks.

My last helmet I actually purchased an extra set of cheek pads, one size smaller. This provided a perfect fit for me. I'm figuring it'll be the same for this lid.
    My research has led me to this over the Schuberth C3.
  2. univibe88

univibe88 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It really is a fog machine. The pin lock insert took care of the fog, but my fucking eye glasses fog up. So I still have to flip the visor up at stops.

I did not take the curtain out. Unlike my old Shoei it doesn't just pull out. I did see somewhere in the manual some shit about a pin or a post. I didn't feel like fucking with it.

I found the ventilation just fine. But I would flip up the visor or even the whole chin bar at stops. It gets toasty in there.

You won't need to wait long to test it's warm weather capabilities. It's pushing 80 in Boston this week.
  3. Dave_H

Dave_H n00b

Oddometer:
    The chin curtain is vey easy to remove. There's some plastic trim along the botom of the chinbar which has the pins attached to it, if you lift the ends of that up it releases the chin curtain which just slides out.

Very happy with my Neotec so far except for the tightness of the cheek pads. I'll see if they loosen up but may have to buy some thinner ones when they are available.
  4. univibe88

univibe88 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How long have you been wearing it? It took my cheekpads about 1000 miles to loosen up.
  5. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was getting ready to buy one....still going. I hear people say that the top vent lets air through even when closed. Anyone else experience this?
  6. Dave_H

Dave_H n00b

Oddometer:
    I only bought it last Friday and so far I've done about 300 miles in it.

I'm not going to rush into buying new pads, I'll only get them if it hasn't loosened up after a couple of months.
  7. costas68gr

costas68gr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a neotec today I noticed the sign on the weight of 1650grms .At webbike review presents with weight 1810grms the EUROPEAN helmets are lighter!!!!!
  8. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did about 150 miles with my new Neo today. Impressions in no particular order:
    * Vents pretty well with the crown vent all the way open. Too warm to notice any leak with it closed.
    * Can't get the visor to latch one handed. Have to stabilize the chin bar, then push down from the top (in the very middle) with the other hand to get it to latch.
    * Quiet enough. Don't notice an appreciable difference between it and the Multitec that it replaces.
    * SERIOUS jaw pain. Noticed it after about the first hour. Subsided after a stop but came back. Would not want to start out on a trip with this helmet brand new. Kind of a shame. No such problem when the Multi was new.
    * Would like the sun visor to be darker.
    * I'm used to riding with a tinted shield 100% (except when raining or at night). This helmet gets much warmer in the face area without the tinted shield.
    * Chin curtain is dead easy to remove.
    * Glasses fit fine, both Rx and sunglasses.
    * The optics of both shields are amazingly good. if it weren't that you can't feel the wind, you wouldn't know the shield was there. Well, until you collect bug butts. :lol3

's all I got right now. Troubled about the jaw pain--will contact Shoei for a fix/replacement.
  9. ride2little

Oddometer:
    There is a high-level comparison of flip-ups in this months Rider magazine.
  10. PanhandleChuck

PanhandleChuck 3rdRockAdvRider

Oddometer:
    Sold the C3 last week (just couldn't mold my melon after trying over and over) and the Neotec arrived today. I have a Multitec I wore a few years and keep for a backup. I had the good fortune of trying on various sizes of the Neotec at the NE Florida Winter Rally and felt more comfortable in a XL. However, my Multitec is a large and after numerous measurements identifying my melon as large, I purchased a large. I echo previous comments, the cheek pads are tight, jaw biting tight. A hot spot at the top, same spot as the Multitec, I'll depress later once I'm sure I'm not going a size larger.:deal
  11. mercury01

mercury01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Beem
    I have been wearing the Multitec for the last two years. Wanted the Neotec, bad. Have a noggin which is a perfect Shoei Medium. A couple of weeks ago I bought a C3 from an inmate (great price, SRC System, cosmetic damage - couple of scratches). Best helmet I have ever worn!
  12. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just bought a Neotec a couple of weeks ago. First, I was surprised a Shoei would fit my "Arai" head, but it does. Cheek pads were a bit tight, but now I don't even notice them

The ability to flip up and talk to people, take pictures, smile, and drink blows away any weight or noise issue, IMHO. Especially on long tours to places where you are experiencing different cultures. Like Texas.:rofl

Next, a Contour ball mount fitted to the top of the Neotec-waiting for Amazon to deliver this...Pic or two when I have it all together.

Cheers,
    Steve
  13. Noth

Noth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto.. I only have 100 miles on my new lemon yellow Neo.. and the cheek pads don't seem to be too much .. I thought I would have to get thinner ones.. but hopefully not.. next I want to try to mount my Cardo headset on it... ventilation seems good & I have the pinlock installed and & in this cool (cold?) weather it's nice to have that..
  14. Tripletrouble

Tripletrouble Farkle addict

Oddometer:
    I have a Multi Tech, the Neo Tech and a DS Sonara.
    The Multi was a great lid but the chinbar was a little too close for comfort.
    When the Neo came out I jumped at it. It had the usual fault of not shutting the top vent off completely which gave you a wet head in the rain - not ideal.
    Shoei quickly relesed a mod for this that your dealer will fit free if you complain.
    The lid is a good fit, 2k mile Euro tour comfortable but I have one major complaint.
    The finish of the lid externally.
    I have never had a lid with such a soft paint finish. It scratches and marks if you so much as look at it.
    My Multi is in better shape and that's 5 years old. It seems to me that Shoei's finish has taken a dive for the worst with this helmet.
  15. AdventurePoser

Oddometer:
    Good thing there are reflective decals, etc...this doesn't bode well for my clumsy hands! :huh

Cheers
  16. univibe88

univibe88 Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW I've had mine for a year now. I've ridden about 15,000 miles in it. Daily commutes and 3,000 trips. I still love it.
  17. Makalu

Makalu Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just bought a Neotech as my first modular. Was concerned about the tight cheek pads but that seems to be a common theme with the helmet so I will just assume itÂ’s going to be tight for awhile. FYI, I did call and talk to a person at Helmet City about it and she said Shoei has told dealers to tell their customers to pull the cheek pads out if they feel too tight and compress them between two heavy books for awhile. That is suppose to help with the break-in period. They do have a couple other sizes of cheek pads available also.
  18. AdventurePoser

Oddometer:
    Quick update on my Neotec...I've owned it for about ten days and have ridden about 1800 miles so far through serious wind, some rain, and lots of heat. I bought mine a bit larger (x large rather than the large) to make sure I had no hot spot issue.

The helmet is extremely comfortable but in the future, perhaps thicker cheek pads for me. I love the convenience, it is aerodynamic, and noise is not an issue as I always were custom molded ear plugs for my music. Ventilation is fine as well.

Great helmet in pretty much every respect!

Steve
  19. blueridgegs

blueridgegs Long timer

Oddometer:
    I purchased the Neotec Borealis recently.
    Only have a hundred miles on it so far, but it fits and looks great.
    Cheek pads are a little tight and I will do as suggested (as read below), take them out and compress them under a heavy book.
  20. ride2little

Oddometer:
    I've had my Neotech since last June. Still love it. I did purchase slimmer cheek pads, as I have done for my last two helmets. So no biggie there.

Mine has a durable finish, no problems there either.

It's a keeper. Still wish I could get a smoked shield for it. I just prefer them.