F800gs...Touring screens? you got one ? Lets us see um!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HighTechCoonass, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Pete O Static

Pete O Static Adventure Seeker

Oddometer:

+1 on the TT:thumb

I am 5'11" with a 31 inseam and the TT works great for me. Much better than stock and the look fits the bike IMO.
  2. David_S

David_S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pete O Static your about the same height and inseam an I. How is the wind hitting your head, smooth ? I tried a calsonic tall screen and it beat my helmet all over the place. Also how do you think the TT would be for colder weather? I know it's no a fairing but I need more than the 650 screen I have for the cooler mornings. TIA

DS
  3. Pete O Static

Pete O Static Adventure Seeker

Oddometer:
    Lets put it this way. When I got the screen I was miffed because I thought it was waaay overpriced for a piece of plastic. Then I rode with it. Worth every penny in my view.

The airflow is off my chest and shoulders. Helmet is in clear airflow with little to no buffet. ( Shoei RF1000 ) When I rode 2 up with the stock shield, I experienced a lot of head bobble from disturbed air between the helmets. This has now disappeared also.

I have hand protectors and can turn lock to lock without interference.

As for cold weather? Not a fairing but you will have some protection for your chest and shoulders. With the stock screen, my jacket was littered with bug strikes on the shoulders. Not any more, so it is doing a good job there. It is quite a bit wider than the stock screen and I find that helps a lot. Perhaps better than a tall skinny screen. In general, much less fatigue on the highway while still keeping a shield that is low enough for use off road.

Here is a pic with the original stock screen overlayed. You can see that the TT that it is much wider

[​IMG]

Hope that helps

Cheers:beer
  4. David_S

David_S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Helps a lot, thanks for the info :thumb
  5. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I think that it's the added width that really helps. With the stock screen I found the wind was really hitting my shoulders which caused a bit of fatigue on longer rides. With the TT screen the wind is directed around me more but there's still enough airflow for hot days.
  6. David_S

David_S Long timer

Oddometer:
    THIS one looks interesting with the adjustable spoiler. Any tried one?
  7. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ran into a guy the other day with that one on his f800... he says it's so-so.

Looks a bit too low to offer enough benefit of the spoiler.
  8. mountain36

mountain36 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really like it. Looks great on the bike and a major improvement over the stock screen. Price is very good too (less than 120$).

Attached Files:

9. bpken11

bpken11 Back to the Dirt

Oddometer:
    My Metal Mule windscreen came today...... turbulance!! I am 6'2" with a 33" inseam. I had cut my stock screen down and it works great for around town and on the dirt, but not great if you need to go a couple hours to find the next off road ride.

I noticed that if I pushed the Mule down while i was riding that the air cleaned up around my head, and it was much better. So, I purchased my RoboBrackets from Madstad today and I am going to do the trick mod that Marky did. Being able to change the angle of the wind protection should really help. That is one big advantage the 1200 gs has over the beast. Seems silly but that adjustable windshield makes a world of difference.

I hope mine come out looking as nice as Marky's did!

I will post pics when I get it done
    xsf18cdf likes this.
  10. bpken11

bpken11 Back to the Dirt

Oddometer:
    Wow, MULE, serious dyslexia after midnite!
  11. F650Dakar_Norway

F650Dakar_Norway What off-season? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thou may edite yer postings, stout yeoman! :beer
  12. Mr noname

Mr noname Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    does anyone have photos from front and side angles of the touratech screen?

i can't find any good photo of it fitted in a f800 gs.

PS.the photos would be perfect if the whole bike is depicted.i want to check how it suits the whole bike.
  13. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check back with me in a little bit.... i have made a tweak to the front screen, plus I have found turbulence coming in from down low affects my visor. something that gets solved with the wider touring screens. I am creating a prototype add on that deals with the low turbulence. Anyone with a stock 800 screen would be able to use this add on to reduce lower turbulence. My plan, if it works, is to manufacture it and have it for sale as an inexpensive add on to the stock screen for low turbulence. That may take a bit though. OH. and my policy is nothing FUGLY!

My plan is to have a whole system that is modular to suit your needs. Have a few other product ideas that i'm working on too. Things that i'm sure everyone will dig.
  14. bpken11

bpken11 Back to the Dirt

Oddometer:
    Marky,

I will be waiting to see what you come up with. The turbulance on any tall screen I put on is a killer over 55. I always seem to go back to a short screen for clean air, but it starts to get hard to hold on after 2 hours at 75-80 and the wind blasting you in the chest!

Norway,

Edit button! Thanks for the help!
  15. MikeinSA

MikeinSA Don’t mess with the monkey

Oddometer:
    I got the new Aerflow today, and took it out for about a 50 mile ride. I'm really happy with it. I'm 6' even with a 33" inseam. I had originally gotten the large, but sent it back for the xlarge. I had the Calsci large, and was getting a bit of buffeting. The large Aerflow was pretty much the same as the large Calsci, so I traded it (the Aeroflow) for the xlarge. With the xlarge, the wind stream is just about at the top of my helmet, and my vision line (over the top of the screen) is about at 60'. The Aeroflow is very sturdy, with a good solid mounting system. I also think, aesthetically, it's a good looking screen (complements the bike's lines). There's still a bit of minor buffeting, but I don't think you're going to be able to do any better with this bike. I also got the AeroGuards. I'll switch back to the factory screen for off road, but for touring, this is going to work out well. I went through some kind of bug swarm just after dark, and the windshield was covered, but my helmet was pretty much clean, so it's doing it's job.:trp

Here's some pictures. Sorry about he background making it hard to see the screen. I didn't realize I had so much crap in the garage until I saw these pictures.:lol3

[​IMG][/url][/IMG][​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG][​IMG][/url][/IMG]
  16. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    What're you looking for? It seems like every angle has been covered in this thread. I've got one, love it and feel it's perfectly suited to the bike.

Do you want dead on and eaxctly side? Here's dead on:

[​IMG]
  17. Claudellvonhop

Claudellvonhop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'11", 31" inseam - just finished 2300 mile tour w/ a Large CalSci and I love it.
    [​IMG]
  18. Mr noname

Oddometer:
  19. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    AH. I'll take a couple for you when I get home tonight.
  20. Mr noname

Oddometer:
    thanks in advance!:clap