Pensacola area riders

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by XT Thumper, Mar 11, 2008.

1. ElusivePedro

ElusivePedro Layin' Low

Oddometer:
    Ha. You in the market for a REALLY NICE Transalp? ;-)

R80 - Big gas tank - check.
    Weakish top speed - check.
    Sounds sorta like an old Burgman 650 at only about 112mph...

I mean, I dunno. I think that this lil diddy might be one of them there last uncomplicated BMWs.

Thing is that I believe that this would be a better road cruiser than the TA. And when I *do* get another enduro, It'll be a good one... Think I'd rather have a decent road runnner AND a good enduro rather than one which isn't either.
  2. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd love to have a particular red TA. Tell you what, I'll give you a thousand bucks for the TA and you buy the Beemer! :lol3

Unfortunately, Pretty Daughter is shopping for a college now, so the TA is outside my budget..:cry
  3. ElusivePedro

ElusivePedro Layin' Low

Oddometer:
    It will be a deal mang. Pennies on my dollar! :1drink

But before alla that, who wouldn't want to have two old classics within their clasp? ;-)

Just wish I knew how damn good that lil r80 could be or maybe supposedly is. It's biggest problem is the sitting in the garage with a dead battery thing... always so inviting - - not.
  4. AST236

Oddometer:
    Just tryin' to help a bro out, doncha' know? :lol3

Which R80 is it, do you know? They're not any more complicated than a DR or XR, but parts are a little more pricey.
  5. ElusivePedro

ElusivePedro Layin' Low

Oddometer:
    :-)
    I pressed him a lil bit today as to whether it's an ST or RT. He didn't know. He sent me a picture. Looks like a regular R80 road bike. I will check it out this holiday weekend... Here's the link to a close doppleganger...

[​IMG]
  6. AST236

Oddometer:
    If that's the bike, I don't think it's an ST. IIRC, the ST has a different tank and a high exhaust pipe. Looks pretty good for a grand....let me know if you check it out and what you do. If the engine turns over and starts, looks like a grand is pretty sweet....
  7. ElusivePedro

ElusivePedro Layin' Low

Oddometer:
    The one thing I do know is that it *is the* bike (sans the coon tail).
    The model designator is what which I become confused about.
    I've never been a BMW guy except for my little '78 320i cage that I had way back in the day.
    I liked it.
    A lot...
  8. ElusivePedro

ElusivePedro Layin' Low

Oddometer:
    Last I will say for now.... guy who owns it is a good guy. I've known him for years. His pop bought it and went through it. top to bottom. my buddy got it and was knee deep in children when his dad passed. its been sitting in his garage. last he had it running was about two plus years ago. Not Good. He said it doesn't have "a nick in it" and it should "easily be started again" - meaning - it ain't starting right now. which leaves me plenty leery. All "consummables" were supposedly replaced about 4 years ago by his pop. Tires not included, but they are ok for short rides. Brake lines, hoses, etc., according to him, should be good.

I dunno till I see it. But if all I have to do is soak the carbs and flush out the tank - something close to 3 figures seems enticing...

I gleaned from the interweb that the R80 was (maybe) a smoooth ride...
  9. AST236

Oddometer:
    I'm far from a BMW expert, but I have owned 5 over the years, 6 if you include the '79 320i. Three of the bikes were airheads, an oilhead and a brick.

From what I remember, the R80 engine is considered one of the smoother engines. Not fast, but there's an intangible 'something' that makes them great back road bikes. Maybe it's that twin cadence.....

If it's titled and you can snatch it for close to a thousand dollars, I don't think you could get hurt. If you decide not to get it though, give me a call. :evil You only NEED one kidney, right??
  10. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    Dr Philgood and I went for an impromptu weekend at Cheaha.

For those of you who have not been to the area its great riding and about 5 hours from the Gulf Coast.

We simply explored and kept gps tracks. Fantastic weather even with a heavy rain Sunday Night.

Here is a video show some of the trails.
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/62cYEFtmNe4?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My time for the next few weeks is to get ready for the Trot. Anyone wanting to help out let me know.

Kinda looking for someone to lead a Beast ride for any big bikes that show.
  11. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pete, That's NOT an ST. Be careful those airheads do bad shit at idle overnight :evil

Oh and DIBS!
  12. Woods Rider

Woods Rider X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer:
    Great that you and Phil got away together. I love that place too!
  13. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  14. Orange Crushed

Orange Crushed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    vic, Looks like you and Dr. Phil had a blast. Great video too. It really makes me want to get up there sometime.

O.C.
  15. OrangeGarrett

OrangeGarrett Ride'n With Rupert

Oddometer:
    Hey Ya'll, selling three bikes. Spoke to the maestro about protocol with regards to this subject. So, if anyone is interested, PM me for details. All 3 will be sold under nada, kbb retail and all are street legal currently tagged. All will be out of my hands by Mon Oct 14th. '09 KTM 400 xcw, '12 Suzuki 400 DRZ, '12 Triumph Tiger 800 xc. FWIW...can't say I didn't post it.

Skid=Mark: Post up or call me with a time for Brox tomorrow, Vic may want to smell some 2 stroke smoke too.
  16. skid=mark

skid=mark Likes it Slidewayz

Oddometer:
    PM sent!!
  17. AST236

Oddometer:
    Vic,

Did you and Phil ride Kentuck ORV area or other trails?

Growing up in Oxford, I put lots of miles on lots of things on and around Cheaha. :wink:

In fact, was in Oxford today and going back Friday. :clap
  18. Flirtin w/Disaster

Flirtin w/Disaster Skinny ass white boy

Oddometer:
    I'd be up for a Sunday am ride if anyone wants company. Not a fastburner, but not grandpa either. Dont have time to get an Eglin permit so BW it'll be.
  19. AST236

Oddometer:

Wish I could join you, but I'll be at Barber's Friday and Saturday and back at work Sunday.

Did you get your charging issue worked out?
  20. Flirtin w/Disaster

Flirtin w/Disaster Skinny ass white boy

Oddometer:
    I think it may be heat induced. I ordered the kick start kit so once its installed I will atleast have a back up starting plan. No more parking on hills and roll starting.