Tiger 955i - Your Opinions

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by BHRBiker, Jul 14, 2001.

1. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:

Thanks, I was looking at Tigers and Wee Stroms, seems the Wee gets a good blowing around as a general opinion.
  2. craigrevo

craigrevo Dumb Brit

Oddometer:
    My new design for a tiger.

[​IMG]
  3. Rob in VA

Rob in VA Go Navy!

Oddometer:
    Recently bought a beautiful used 2007 V-strom 650 and my wife fell in love with it. She will eventually own it and I will have the pleasure of buying another bike. Have been thinking about getting a nice used V-Strom 1000 but have been researching others and the Triumph Tiger looks like a good comparison. Any thoughts on which is the better bike if I had to chose from a 2006 Tiger or a 2006-2009 Vee?
  4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Banned

Oddometer:
    Ride them both and get the one that blows your skirt up. Both good bikes.
  5. chairhead

chairhead HAIRY

Oddometer:
    I like alot the tank graphic of the bike(would make a good sticker)question is..............is it a Tiger or an Africa twin??
  6. T

T --------------

Oddometer:
    I've had both. I liked the Wee (06) as a commuter tool- I put 80k trouble free miles on it. I like the Tiger (05) as more of a pleasure ride. The Tiger seems to be of higher quality but the Strom was great if you just like to get the wheels turn'n. Both have solvable wind issues...

BTW, I ride with others that have the Vee- same as Wee with a bit more get up and go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. amk

amk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whenever Tiger public starts proudly brag “I rode 10K trouble free miles on my with only replacing a (a switch, a bulb, a sensor – whatever) under warranty”, a third or a fourth Vee (or Wee) owner routinely turns its counter over 100k, often without even proper maintenance.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    I finally persuaded myself to check valves at 60K, 15K? by the book, in vain, all were in spec.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    In all other cases Tiger might win. I especially admire 2006 side luggage.
  8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Banned

Oddometer:
    I am more than willing to ride a bike (or drive a car) that requires a little more maintenance or repairs if it rewards me with passion. Jap stuff never did it for me. Wonderful appliances though. Reliable, decent performers, no soul though. My vehicles need to speak to me in ways that I have never seen a Jap or American car do. When that triple comes on full song through the titanium muffler, modified air box, and off road tune...... I need a tissue.

[​IMG]
  9. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    I love this thread. I love even more the people who like to believe the Tiger is not capable enough to go offroad. These are people who have very little seat time on this bike or no guts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But yeah, it doesn't go offroad! :rofl
  10. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, all with a Shinko 705 rear and TKC 80 front. Knobbies on the rear get burnt up too quickly.

I had 38K miles on that 955i before I sold it. Yeah, it was outfitted with some nice mods. The thing that I hated wasn't so much the weight as it was the lack of ground clearance and under-bike pipes. I bottomed that bike out all the time on rocks and such. The new 800 looks to have solved the ground clearance issue but still has pipes under the bike for some reason. :puke1 I'd love to have a go on one though.

Sold the 955i last year and bought a 950 Adventure, got tired of waiting for the then-still-a-rumor Tiger 800. The 950 has the Tiger beat especially when it comes to suspension. I can actually jump the 950 off little things and not have any troubles. I jumped the Tiger a few times and cringed each and every time!
  11. craigrevo

craigrevo Dumb Brit

Oddometer:
    The silhouette on the tank is actually a Super Ten but I changed the headlight shape to suit the tiger more. :thumb
  12. chairhead

chairhead HAIRY

Oddometer:
    Good job,
    shame you could'nt do it with a Tiger:evil
  13. lucky_strike

lucky_strike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have owned avstrom 1000 and hated it. To much plastic, to much chain maintence, clumsy at best offroad, stupid pig onroad, and horrible gas mileage. Lets not forget the head buffeting that will give you brain a hemerage.

moving on... I bought a tiger. Oh the love. Handles great, great on fuel, no head buffeting, great ergos, way beter off the beaten path. Love the bike. It truly is a night and day difference between the two.

P.s. I ride that vstrom for 50k miles. 75k on the bike when I sold it. I can't count hore many times that bike left me stranded in the middle of nowhere.
  14. lucky_strike

lucky_strike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also, flux is right, yhr people who say the tiger canty go offroad need to grow balls or go riding with d.o.g.s.
  15. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    The only thing you'll end up hating about that Tiger, Lucky, is every time ANYTHING needs to be worked on you need to remove the tank. Have fun with that.
  16. Keytime

Keytime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took my 2001 Tiger offroading this past weekend with two friends who had a 2004 KTM 950 and 2008 KTM 990. I have extensive offroad racing experience and could certainly work the Tiger through a lot of stuff, but I felt I could charge a bit harder with the KTM's. My Tiger has no mods concerning suspension, gearing, etc, so I'm sure it could be improved, but the low pipes, extra width, and and higher cg cannot. Some bar risers and lowered pegs might solve the short bar-to-peg distance. The Tiger has really been enjoyable and d*mn solid, but I'm currently trying to decide if I'm going to switch for a more offroad bike. Hmmm....
  17. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:

The KTM wins hands down in a comparison of offroadability. No doubt. The Tiger WILL do it though. The KTM just does it better.
  18. RandyB

RandyB .

Oddometer:
    Well if you're going to put it that way.... Nice rig.
  19. Tex Rider

Tex Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just sold my 05 klr 650 and looking to move up to something more road worthy.I have found a really nice looking 2001 triumph tiger 955i with 26k on the odo.Does anyone have any inputs on this bike pros/cons.What is a fair price(it is fully loaded with givi luggage,corbin seat ect.)I want something with low maint. like my klr.You input would be appreciated.Thanks:1drink
  20. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    Probably depends on where you are. Or where the bike is...

It may not depend on what others in the area are asking for similar bikes, because sometimes those bikes aren't selling. And sometimes they're bogus ads placed to affect the price of a different bike. Or scams.