4.3 Inch Motorcycle GPS Navigation Systems

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Myway, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Tickrr

Tickrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The screen is better because it's bigger? Or also because it's easier to read in the sun?

My situation is my bike was stolen with the wiring harness attached, as well as the RAM mount. So I can spend about $25 to replace those, or I can get a new, and possibly better unit for about $100 more.
  2. rpeter

rpeter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The larger screen is no easier to read in sunlight. My Rage has a thin plastic film over the touchscreen, and this film bows outwards on warm days. The result is it takes a good deal of pressure for touches to register. That's annoying. It's the only issue I have with the Rage so far.
  3. Tickrr

Tickrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that's good info. I'll probably stick with the Peaklife then. If I ever do upgrade it will probably be more substantial.
  4. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think when you used to ram mount, you probably will have this again if you wanted the "rage".

more substantial?

Then you thinking of a waterproof sunlicht readbele tablet, with handelbar remote.
  5. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. Tickrr

Tickrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. Nashcat

Nashcat Waitin' on the Boatman

Oddometer:
    Yep, it's on sale. Ordered mine last week and it should be in the mailbox today or tomorrow.

Nashcat
  9. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    anyone else have any reviews on this after using it for a while?
  10. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ordered one of these, thinking I'd be just able to go to some company website and buy their GPS software, and I've come to find that is not quite the case...

So far the only software I've found that you can buy is "DesNav", powered by "Navteq". Is that any good?

I really don't feel like jumping through loops to get some counterfeit software "kinda working" and find out, in the middle of nowhere, that I'm missing a map or that the map I have is outdated.
  11. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, came to find that this one http://www.beonroad.com is the same as DesNav, but cheaper. Both are very "vague" in what the license includes, but it seems that it includes a lifetime yearly update of the maps.

I think I'll be trying that one when my GPS arrives.
  12. silli

silli Dirt in all the wrong places

Oddometer:
    I bet there's some kind of software included when you get the device. I got iGo8 on mine.
    Pirated? I wouldn't know.
  13. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, no software on the device other than Windows CE.

14. silli

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's what is says on the website –*but that does not mean there's no sw included with the unit when it ships :wink:
  15. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap

I'll post on Thursday when my GPS arrives :D
  16. silli

Oddometer:
    Now if I could only make iGo Primo to show unpaved roads with a different colour...
    (and no, it's not the settings, as suggested earlier in this thread)
  17. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, no software, just as it said on Chinavision... :(

Well, I'll go with beonroad.

Initial impressions are...

- It is fast. I was expecting the UI to be sluggish, but it is is quite responsive.
    - Probably got updated firmware, as I was able to access the internal memory right away.
    - 4.3" display sounds big, but it is tiny.
    - Box is just a generic packaging, no information about the product or manufacturer.
    - Reeks of cheap Chinese ABS plastic.
    - The mounting hardware seems flimsy, I'll look into upgrading to a RAM mount.
    - The craddle seems sturdy but also cheap.
    - Unit fits the Versys 650 perfectly, attach it to the lowest part of the handlebar, next to the handlebar mount, and it fits!

Included the 12V power outlet adapter, another adapter to be wired directly to the battery, the suction cup mount and the handlebar mount.
  18. tonyd48

tonyd48 Back to 1wheel drive

Oddometer:
    I just purchased the 4.3" Motorcycle GPS waterproof "Rage" on eBay for $180.00 (U.S. all $ referenced here are U.S.); scheduled to arrive Tuesday the 1st. Was looking for maps and software suggestions and appears iGO8 is the way to go. Maps for iGO are available from www.naviextras.com: U.S. $39.95 or "rent" them for a month for $9.95 (??????????????). U.S. & Canada cost $79.95. Since I've noticed a lot of the voices on this thread are from "down under" full maps for Australia & New Zealand are $64.95 (u.s. but I bet if you login from another country the software is gonna be smart enough to recognize and post your currency. Pickle I'm having is when I created my account naviextra wanted to know what brand of unit I have and RAGE was not listed, nor was Peaklife so I just randomly picked a brand and sent an e-mail requesting recommendation for what brand to pick. Looking forward to this riding season, been years (30+) since I've been on a scoot and having a ball every sunny day we get. Rides planned this summer are CoBDR (Colorado Backroads Discovery Route); Touratech Rally in Washington state followed by doing the WA BDR and the Oregon BDR then off to the east coast for the TAT (TransAmericaTrail). And all of these "recommend" having a GPS unit. Hope the links took as these appear to be some great rides! Will post when the unit arrives and I get it up and running.
  19. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would love a full review and pics on the bike once you guys play with it more

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
  20. chowchi

chowchi n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all. GPS noob here. This unit certainly seems like what I'm looking for in terms of affordability. I'm currently riding in VN. Right now I use google earth to locate forest trails to explore. Pretty much hit and miss and using printouts of the screenshots to try and figure the route out as I go. As you can imagine, trails disappear and split etc. I'd really like to be able to "trace out a route" on google earth and then input that into a gps unit like the 4.3"rage. If I could do that I'd have the security of the gps to guide me where now I just turn back if I can't guess how to continue on a trail. Can I do that with the rage without spending a ton on special software? Much thanks.