2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Terence FFM

Terence FFM prof. cat-herder

Oddometer:

Considering where Norway finishes in the UN rankings of best places in the world to live (consistently in the top 5, and #1 in 2012), and where other countries (not mentioning any names) where motorcycles are (a lot) cheaper, there is more to life than cheap bikes: gas and booze are two other essentials for a happy life.

Luckily both of these are cheap in Norway, to compensate somewhat for the high price of motorcycles. :amazon
  2. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Funny, in the last 15 years, I've known about 10 swedes and 4 Brits who have moved to the states for work over the last 15 years or so....TWO (2) have moved back........but don't worry guys - you can definitely believe everything the media tells you about America.....:rofl

On another note: I stopped by the local dealer today and they are getting ready to put their orders in ASAP for the new models. (I put mine in for a 1190R and a 1290 Super duke:evil) and they're saying there's a chance we will see them by August....:clap

Hopefully I still have my health and my job by then! :1drink
  3. jconyer

jconyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Swung by our local shop to ask about the 1190 and if I could get on a order list. They told me that the 1190/1190R is not on the list of bikes that they can order for spring. :ddog I hope they're just not as well informed as some other dealers.
  4. whitewater18

whitewater18 funhog

Oddometer:
    My local dealer said the 1190 isn't in for 2013 because KTM is balking at offering it here. :cry Seems they think they will have to price it too high (north of $20k) and it will not sell. :eek1 He did say this could change between now and spring, or they might wait till 2014.
    Good news is the 990A Baja edition is new for 2013. :D
  5. nevermind

nevermind know when to fold 'em, know when to run

Oddometer:
    Another 990? Complete with BNGs??? :evil
  6. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Easy guys, easy.....:lol3

The local guy actually told me they think they will be "a lot less" than the BMW's - and that the delays are more to do with getting the bike through the DOT process than anything else. :huh

He did say there's "a chance" we will see them by August, so it's all to be taken with a grain of salt, I think. It could be another year and a half or more.

Also, when I say I "put my order in" it was a partially tongue in cheek comment - I did not put down a payment or sign anything, I just told him what I'm interested in, and he wrote it down, gave me a card and we'll touch base in 8 ( :eek1 :cry ) months or so......

I will say though, that if they come in around the BMW pricing, that would most likely kill the deal. Not because the value isn't there, but moreso because I anticipate this bike will see more offroad than my GS does, and is therefore more likely to be damaged, etc. If I'm going to be paying for a lux tourer, I may as well go with the GS and be able to do the valves / oil in 45 minutes.
  7. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are we going to have panic attacks every few days over US availability and pricing? If so, can we start another thread for the chicken littles to hang out with each other.:lol3
  8. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    Yes, dad..................
  9. Tiggersteve

Tiggersteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the first bikes in the UK are due beginning of Feb :D would have thought they would certainly be in the US before the end of the year as it appears to be a good market over there,
    Pricing wise (here) my mate specked a 1250GS and an 1190 to what he wanted and amazingly they were within £50,
    2K over the price of a 990 is a bit of a shock so i will likely have to look at a s/hand year old one,
  10. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:

If that is similar to pricing for the U.S. - we better get that other thread started ASAP..... I'll be the first one on it! :D
  11. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My local dealer has gone bust. Shame - as i reckon they might have done some trade with the new stuff.
  12. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Other dealers will step in to fill the gap - do you want an 1190 ?

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
  13. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wanted a go on one. Happy with the Multi for now..:D
  14. 990s

990s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From:http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841341&page=10

Today, 06:00 PM #142
    Joe Pichler
    Adventurer
    Oddometer: 27
    7230 Kilometers

Having now been a few miles done in Africa, I can give you a first report.
    Always compared to my 990 R.

My initial scepticism about the less suspension was unfounded. The missing centimeters are not really noticeable in normal riding operations. More important here is a properly tuned suspension.
    Only the lower ground clearance is noticeable.
    There are some scratches on the skip plate, but that’s build for.
    As on the 990 I have on the R 1190 R mounted a higher seat and therefore a similar seating position.
    I'm usually in the 80 octane mode here. Especially in the lower speed range it's a lot more fun to ride,, no comparison with the 990 R.
    On various riding conditions, except for mud I have everything behind me, the 1190 R is easier to ride. But you can go as fast as with the 990R.
    The limit is always the driver, never the bike.
    As usual, I have reinstalled the narrow rims of the Super Enduro and the Scorpion Rally.
    After 5,000 km I fitted new tires in Nairobi.

The petrol consume is 6l/100km. With the 990R I used last year in similar contitions 7,5 l/100km.
    Oil consumption at 5000 km 0.5 liter
    The 1190 has 2 fans and whether in the sand at Lake Turkana or in city traffic in Mombasa, there are any heat problems.
    Renate is thrilled with the seat, she’s never been riding so comfortable through Africa.
    And now to the problems and mishaps which some are waiting for:
    I fight my way through the sand at Lake Turkana, sweating like the pig and the display shows,
    ,,ice warning''
    The temperature sensor is faulty, but it was prior to departure.
    At the end of November in Salzburg it was not as noticeable as here in the African heat, and I was too lazy to exchange it before departure.
    2 screws on track luggage rack are broken.
    But until now, as expected it’s an nice rid without any problems.
    Now I’ll give the 1190 R a few days break. By boat we’ll go on Lake Tanganyika further south.
    Joe Pichler
    Kigoma Tansania

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    Wow. That's about as glowing a report as Joe could have given it.
    Even keeping in mind that he is essentially a KTM employee, that sounds great.
  16. RRVT

RRVT Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer:
    That's roughly 40 miles per US gallon. I would've expected much better number given that the KTM website claims "increased fuel economy" for this bike, but you may not be getting best quality gas down there.
  17. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you looked at his video? And he says he is running mainly in the "poor fuel" mode (accessible via an accessory plug-in on this bike), which I can only imagine retards ignition timing.

Forty mpg US under these conditions sounds promising to me. Do you think he'd have done a bit better cruising first-world blacktop at 75?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DWGIDmBtZ84?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  18. RRVT

RRVT Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer:
    I did but it was at work and I didn't have the sound on. But I do recall that accessory being available.

So that gives the bike around 240 mile range in those conditions, and hopefully much higher with better gas.
  19. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if I misled: the tip on the poor-fuel mode was in Joe's post, not the vid. :D

20. vanilla

vanilla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Road test in today's MCN... Look forward to getting home tonight to read it!!