It's time to split Thumpers...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Baldy, Mar 22, 2013.

1. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Right and those active in the big threads feel that we're doing you a favor by keeping it all under one heading.

I prefer content relevant to one bike to be in one place. Remember how a library used to work? You don't chop up a book and scatter it around the room, you keep it between the cover.

I'd actually condense the place a little more instead of spreading it out, but then I like to read the old RD condensed books. :lol3

A split along a 600cc mark makes no sense at all, what is this...1987?

Racing is clearly divided between 250, 450 and open class.
  2. Ghost_Mutant

Ghost_Mutant looking for bionics

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to add categories to the display options at the bottom of the forum page?

For example:

-how about an option to filter out all threads over 50 pages to use an earlier suggestion
    -only show Honda related threads
    -only show tire threads
    ...................etc.

You would need the thread originator to select the key words when submitting the head post. Don't let anyone submit a head post that didn't have at least one keyword, and just add in a general option for those that don't fit the given categories.

If folks don't change the display option, then they get Thumpers as we've come to know it. But if someone wants to filter on the content of the threads, then they would be able to do so.

I know, too many changes under the hood..........................right?:rofl

I must say that I'm not in favor of splitting just because many new users don't know how to use Google's advanced search feature. Which is why I suggested the FAQ link in the search box. I'm also not fond of how TT is setup and would prefer we don't go that route.

Splitting based upon usage/purpose does make some sense to me. But I like comparing the WR250R to the DR650 to any KTMs etc. So I don't see the displacement hard limits as being useful. But the dirty vs far vs prehistoric has merit.

What is a single cylinder adventure bike? Well, in my opinion its something that looks a lot like the hodgepodge we've already got here :lol3
  3. zaskar

zaskar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Split it up
  4. Red Sand

Red Sand Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed but how . . . made me think of this . . .

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kgvtx_y1K-k" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>
  5. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Search can do that now. Don't enter anything in the search field and set replies to "At most" and whatever number of replies (1250 for 50 pages.)
    All threads under 50 pages show up

In an ideal world, that would be the title.
  6. Echo1

Echo1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think Baldy is right about setting up thumper subforums for at least for the four Japanese, BMW/KTM/Euro brands, and also keep the general discussion. It seems like virtually all the big/mega threads are Brand/Model specific anyway and these threads eventually contain so many different topics they get way too convoluted. The subforums would provide the opportunity for more brand/bike thread topics, which should reduce mega/convoluted threads.

The general discussion thread could still be the place for most of the good stuff like "What bike should I get", bike comparisons/discussions, and anything not specific to one brand/model.
  7. Echo1

Echo1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Good one. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is a classic!
  8. Krusty ...

Krusty ... What? Me hurry?

Oddometer:
    I like this concept. Culling the two-strokes into their own sub-forum is a no brainer. I think the line between "Small" and "Big" should be 500cc.

The idea of Euro Singles and Asian Singles has merit also, and might be the simplest to implement.

I don't see the value of separating out the "megathreads" :dunno.

Another concept I'd throw out there would be to have a sub-forum for street legal singles and another for dirt only, realizing there would be some overlap on some models.

That was my thinking when I laid the groundwork for the DR650SE Index [see the link in my sigline], and I continue to encourage the participation of everyone who wants to contribute and share their input.
    But to create that many subforums and to sort and move the existing treads in all of Thumpers into them sounds like a daunting task to me.

However it's done, I hope we'll still see a model specific index thread stickied to the top as we have now :thumb...
  9. djvx

djvx Ride Safe!

Oddometer:
    Mega Thumpers 500cc+
    Thumpers 500cc-
    2 Smokers

Im in Thumpers 95% of the time, hope the change isn't too sucky.:dood
  10. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I liked the idea of a split by displacement vs. mfr'r....but after thinking how I've used the Thumper forum over the years -- it's been split between dualsported dirtbikes and factory plated dualsports.

I think a split along those lines could have some value, as people shopping for a factory plated dualsport will be comparing like machines across different sizes and brands to see what might be the best fit.
    WR250R vs. TE 310 and so forth.

There are also a fair number of folks dualsporting XR's and the like, who have a different set of features they'll be looking for a in a subforum.

That is a much smaller group though, and a "plate your own" subforum could stand alone.
    The factory plated dualsports could be divided between the F650GS/640 Adventure/TR650 Terra type bikes that are more RTW and long sojourn oriented, and the 500EXC/TE449 'plated dirtbike' ones.

So now I'm just more confused :lol3
  11. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:

Change Thumper to Single Cylinder then sub forums of Big Thump, Small Thump and Ring -a -ding -ding twist the throttle and listen to that bitch sing:ricky

<IFRAME height=360 src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dNDeqkmvImc?feature=player_detailpage" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

:freaky:freaky:freaky
  12. kyns

kyns Long timer

Oddometer:
    I doubt many would check the "general discussion forum" anymore. Everyone would just go straight to their small subforums and never bother checking the general discussions. That is my fear, Thumpers now is very open, informative and FUN.
  13. Thatdog

Thatdog Hickster

Oddometer:
    Color coordinate it

Orange at the top and all the other colors to the bottom !!!! :rofl

J/K i vote Euro / Asian
  14. NOroad

NOroad XT 34 L

Oddometer:
    500+
    500-
    Zweitakt
  15. Young-Gun

Young-Gun KTM Tragic

Oddometer:
    Go ahead and change it to whatever you like Baldy :D

A year from now we won't be whinging about it, because we'll have grown to love it and newcomers won't know any different.....
  16. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Big Pigs

Little Pigs

Smoked Pig

? :1drink
  17. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    eggzackly!!! weight's the best idea....

1 - under 325lbs...

2 - over 325lbs....

3 - smokers.....
  18. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that I have finished my beer, I like the cross brand flavour of thumpers, we have 650GS owners fitting YZ or WP forks and similar with the 650X and there is much to learn from each other, similar is occurring with the other brands and models

There is enough notice from other BMW types to the goings on here, the big twin GS owners on advrider are the most active users of WP spreadsheets and notes I put on line to assist people swapping forks on the 650's (Hello there unholy Unioners)

Where there is a difference is between the longer distance big pig riders/info and the single track piglet screamers (no disrespect intended) so the capacity split would work and make info more accessible according to the type of riding, love the old smokers, they deserve their own place

Now that is enough, time for another beer
  19. Mat

Mat Tosser

Oddometer:
    As far as I am concerned, the problem with the Thumper forum are the megathreads. They are filling up the first page, displacing all new and "small" threads, and are a major pain in the ass to find anything in.

We have all that technology to subdivide stuff into sub forums, yet we pack all info concerning my beloved 640 ADV into one thread without any organization whatsoever. True, there is Meat Popsicle's super TOC for the LC4 ADV (Thanks for that!), but search is not that useful: You find the question, but maybe a relevant reply is 10 pages later?

-> Create a sub forum when you see a mega thread forming. That way information stays organized without spamming the general thumper forum too much, keeping it interesting and still diverse!

Why divide it up before it is needed? Divide when the need appears. A 690 adventure being announced? Create the 690 adv sub forum (or rather use the then existing LC4 690 sub forum I guess). Lots of new threads specific for any other bike? Create a sub forum for that. Of course the decision when to create a sub forum will be somewhat arbitrary, but that way the general Thumper forum will stay interesting.
  20. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Generally, I like the idea. I'd been thinking along these lines but not liking putting XCW into one forum, and the exact same bike as an EXC into the other.

Pro for displacement split is that there's no doubt, it's easy and clear. Con are the models that don't fit use with displacement- for example, in my mind an XT250 belongs more with KLR/ DR/ etc than with light KTM/ Husky, even though it shares displacement with the later.

Pro for "factory plate" is that XT250 stays with its real family. Con is that EXC gets divided from XCW.

Pro for weight is that generally, like stays with like. Con is that people may not know what their bike weighs, or what the bike they are interested in weighs, and there's more room for confusication.

On balance, after considering those options (and more), I came to the conclusion that the clarity of CC division outweighs the downside of orphans caught on the wrong side of the fence. :dunno