Hello, New Mexico

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Chuckanut, May 9, 2012.

1. selaznog

selaznog Roadless Warrior

Oddometer:
    I didn't say you were screaming, but you appear to have conceded that you are pissing on the campfire, and in my book that constitutes a lack of civility, respect, and good humor. Your accusations run "from north to south and east to west." Your words, not mine. I know a lot of folks in this state, many of whom have traveled it quite extensively, and I've never heard anyone offer such sweeping generalizations. I will say this, however: I have noticed that the folks who know everything about NM seem to be transplants who, while living here, would rather be somewhere else. I think I'll go ride my dirt bike out my back door now. Peace.
  2. Coastie3202

Coastie3202 King of MY Mountain

Oddometer:
    You are correct in your assessment, and I will own it. That is why I need to leave New Mexico, I am becoming a product of my environment, and do not like that this state has done that to me. I could get into specifics about what is wrong with this state (and many others, granted), but will not as I have no more piss for the fire. You can all go back to holding hands and singing the praises now as I need to go pack.
  3. AtomicGeo

AtomicGeo a lo macho

Oddometer:
    Pull up a chair.

:lurk

Wow them fires are really turning up the heat around here. :1drink
  4. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Born and raised in NM...and I'm 100 percent Caucasian :evil

:lol3

There are a lot of things that piss me off about NM -- the corruption in the politics for example and our terrible school system and gang problems. OTOH there are a lot of things to love -- it's a truly stunningly beautiful state with an amazing amount of stuff to do outside. I would tell you the weather is awesome, but for the last two years it's just mostly been scary (suuper dry, hot, and incessantly windy, damaging hail, etc). The constant wind is getting on my nerves more than anything else lately.

I like living on the edge of ABQ because in 30-40 minutes I can be in wilderness. I like the small town feel of ABQ and most of the people are pretty friendly. Great food, good arts.
  5. SirWrecksAlot

SirWrecksAlot Slowventurer

Oddometer:

This.

Anytime I hear sweeping generalizations like that, it usually has more to do with the person than the place. I wish you good luck somewhere else Coastie. The sooner the better.
  6. Gitana

Gitana A work in progress

Oddometer:
    Can't speak for ABQ, but I loved living in Santa Fe with a passion. I still miss it. I got myself closer, moving to Arvada from Seattle in January. There are flaws any place one lives. I'll take sun over dreary gray any time. Nice people, beautiful vistas, great riding. What's not to like?
  7. Coastie3202

Oddometer:
    Lets not forget about the drunk driving laws in this state, the lack of teeth to enforce the laws, and the number of DUI deaths that we experience annually because the state allows multiple DUI convictions before anything is done about the problem. Lets not forget that almost daily the Albuquerque news stations report murders, multiple murders, murder suicides, and police involved shootings. Or how about a population that is so cold and calus that they will steal the AC or evap coolers right off someone's roof in order to make a buck. How many deaths have you heard of when a vehicle strikes and kills a pedestrian or a cyclist? Lets not forget that Larry Barker, our infamous witch hunter is never short on stories of corruption within our state government. Lets not forget that while this state has been in a very long drought, and the state is one giant tender box, the city and state governments don't have the balls to shut down the sale of fireworks which ultimately results in the loss of property to our homeowners due to youth and adults not having any common sense. And to be quite blunt, I am tired of having to "press 1" to hear a message in english.

This is not a huge state, and it does not have a huge population, but our crime rate is astronomical and most of that occurs in the northern part of the state as it has the largest percentage of our population.

Beautiful country? You bet. Beautiful sunsets and sunrises? Oh yeah. Great riding? No doubt. But you have to balance those benefits with the quality of life you can, or cannot lead here due to the conduct of many of the citizens that live here.

I have loved living and riding here for the past 18 years, but times are changing at a much faster pace now and I cannot say that I love it any longer. Time to go, and go I will.

For any thinking about moving here, do yourselves a favor before you make a decision. Research everything first. Don't base your relocation decision on the time that you were traveling through and spent a couple days in Taos or Santa Fe. Taos and Santa Fe are just a small piece of what New Mexico is all about, but they are the favorite cities of the tourism bureau, which they should be.

Someone on here said that New Mexico is not for everyone. You are correct. Some love it, some will continue to love it, other used to love it as it used to be. And by used to be I am talking about only 5 or 10 years ago, not centuries ago.
  8. Coastie3202

Oddometer:
    I think it is important to point out that I spent 21 years in a job that had me moving all over the country about every three years. So my opinions are not based on limited experience in other states. I have lived in more areas than most will ever live in, and I have seen good and bad area.
  9. Gitana

Oddometer:
    While you are free to express your opinion, perhaps you could start your own topic about the horrors of New Mexico? In the meantime, it would be good manners if you could please stop shitting all over my friend, Tom's, thread. Thanks. Have a good day!
  10. Coastie3202

Oddometer:
    No problem. Sorry Tom.

Hey, wait a minute. Didn't Tom say:

"I'd like to meet with a few of you and get some pros and cons, ......"

"Thanks, and I hope to hear from someone."

So, I don't think I am "shitting all over" Tom's thread. He asked for Pros and Cons, and stated that he hopes to hear from someone.

When someone says that they want the pros and cons I take off the rose colored glasses and share my honest opinion. I am sure that Tom realizes that this is my opinion and not necessarily the opinion of everyone. And I would bet that Tom is not going to base any decision on my opinion alone.

Now if Tom wants me to leave his thread I will gladly do so, as it is his thread. That is the respectful thing to do.
  11. neo1piv014

neo1piv014 Garden Variety ADV

Oddometer:
    For something rural yet close to a town, you should consider the Los Alamos area. My folks live in Rio Rancho (borders the northwest side of Albuquerque), and the old man commutes to Los Alamos area a few times a week. The roads and scenery are absolutely gorgeous up there, and it really isn't terribly far from Albuquerque. I'm not sure that's the commute I'd want to do, but it's definitely an option. On the other hand, my in-laws are moving to Tijeras, and it meets a lot of your qualifications. They're about ten minutes outside the NE heights of Albuquerque, right off I-40, which takes you damn near everywhere in this town, but they're surrounded by trees and mountains. I think there's even a small stream across the street from their house. Best of all, the housing out there is very cheap compared to many parts of Abq. If you find yourself in Abq again sometime soon, feel free to come by for a beer.
  12. Chuckanut

Chuckanut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, I take a trip to NM and the thread goes all crazy!!

Honestly, I appreciate everyone's opinion and realize they are just that, opinions. There's fact in each one (somewhere) and they say a lot.

New Mexico is a state of extremes (extreme beauty, extreme poverty, etc.) and depending on who you are and where you live you'll see them all. It's really a question of how you deal with them and how they affect you.

All that said, after my travels a couple of weeks ago Taos came out as my favorite. I like the small town aspects along with the art and counter culture scene and love the mountains. I'm not a snow sports person but love being in the snow, so that's cool with me. Santa Fe is close enough to give me my fill of opera and shows, and ABQ is there if I absolutely need to go (too big a city for me, and I just don't like the 'vibe' I get there). I really want to like Las Vegas because it can be so beautiful (and I got to be the background for a TV show they were filming in the Plaza - "Longmire" on A&E) but I just didn't feel it.

Now the big question for me is do I move or do I stay? There's nothing pushing me out of the NW except the weather, so we'll see how I feel when I get back. It's been raining there the entire time I've been gone (3+ weeks) so it will be a shock.

Sorry for the interruption, you may now continue the NM rants. :rofl

Tom

PS - Thanks for sticking up for me, Anne. :clap
  13. Gitana

Oddometer:
    Sorry we didn't get to connect while you were here. Taos is a really magical place. Go for it, Tom. You only live once, and life's too short for so much rain. I have no regrets about leaving the PNW. Well, with the possible exception of a few of the restaurants. But it's a short flight away to get a Seattle fix if I absolutely have to have one. The sun and warmth here is wonderful.
  14. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
    The Taos area is my place to retire. I am from here, and lived here all my life. I love the mountains, was fortunate
    enough to spend alot of time in Taos as a kid. I bought 5 acres over twenty yrs ago, in a little town called Amalia. Property is paid for, now I need to start working on getting it set up for a retirement home. :evil

Good luck to you on what ever you decide. :thumb
  15. _Harry_

_Harry_ Redneck Emeritus

Oddometer:
    Fixed that for ya :D
  16. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:

Thanks. :D Probably offended someone. :lol3
  17. neo1piv014

neo1piv014 Garden Variety ADV

Oddometer:
    Taos is very beautiful, and as much as I dislike living here, I wouldn't mind retiring there. That said, there's a lot of touristy stuff up there, and I'm not really sure how much work you'll find in that town. If you can find work there, however, I'd jump on it.
  18. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    :poser

Dude, you need to leave. Seriously. Lots of rage and unhappiness there.
    Find someplace more tranquilo. Let us know what you find.
  19. AtomicGeo

AtomicGeo a lo macho

Oddometer:
    C'mon Dion...too many damn tourists there: artsy fartsy type that like to wear turquoise belt buckles and jewelry. :lol3

20. _Harry_

_Harry_ Redneck Emeritus

Oddometer:
    :ddog Hey!

Don't make fun of my ancestors!

:lol3