Tucson Area Bulletin Board:

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by russbryant, Jan 22, 2009.

1. goodtimes

goodtimes local bum

Oddometer:
    I'm back from Central America - but forgot that this was an RG week & planned a mountain bike ride (probably better for me anyway :1drink).
  2. HoosierTrailmaster

HoosierTrailmaster Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer:

John,

I need your assistance on trip planning so if you really are going RG I will be there...please confirm.

Allyn
  3. emerson.biguns

emerson.biguns All idiot, no savant

Oddometer:
    We'll be there!

6:30

4. PhiSig1071

PhiSig1071 Friendly Neighborhood Privateer

Oddometer:
    So, every time I use google maps to try and figure out a fun street ride, I end up finding a dirt road and having to turn around (I know, TKC's come in sizes that will fit my GSXR, sorry, not ready for that route yet!), what's a good 100-150 mile paved loop? I've done Arivaca Rd, and Mt Lemmon a couple times. Any other recommendations?
  5. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

Maybe 83->82 sonoita to patagonia to nogales. Unfortunately it seems to me like you need to ride 100 miles from tucson just to get to any good roads if curves are taking a priority over scenery.
  6. Kermit13

Kermit13 Is that suppose to smoke?

Oddometer:
    Yep, it is a bit out of the way, 191 (old Route 666) is arguably the best set of twisties in the State.

83 is pretty good, it is paved all the way to Parker Canyon Lake. Though the little section to Parker is an out and back if you're a street only guy. Some great loops down there other wise.

He could shoot over to Mount Graham and go the long way through Sonoita, Sierra Vista, etc...or up Kitt Peak, hit Gates Pass and McCain loop on the way over....some boring straights to get to Kitt though.

Not super twisty, there is the Catalina-Florence-Kearny-Mammoth loop....watch for cops between Mammoth-Oracle-Catalina-Oro Valley.
  7. HoosierTrailmaster

HoosierTrailmaster Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer:
    Hey Kermit, I just bought an older GG EC 300.
  8. Kermit13

Oddometer:
    Nice! I am diggin' mine.
  9. PhiSig1071

PhiSig1071 Friendly Neighborhood Privateer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'll check them out.
  10. Kermit13

Oddometer:

You're welcome.

Usually those routes get a little crowded on the weekends, if you can, hit them on the weekdays.

I would do single clockwise loop the 191 ride, from Showlow to Payson over to Prescott then head South back to Tucson. It made for a long day, but some damn nice scenery and twisties.
  11. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Springerville to Morenci (191 going south) is a tad more challenging than riding it uphill; although, I usually ride it both ways. You might take 78 east (a bit south of Clifton) to 180 and go north on 180 to Alpine if you don't want to ride both directions. Much of 78 is twisty, too. The fire kept us from doing that this spring.
  12. BritOnTwoWheels

BritOnTwoWheels n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm not new to biking but I am new to this forum. I'm in NW Tucson and would like to meet up for weekend rides if anyone is interested - either off-road with my KLR650 or longer road tours with my Connie.

I did the Tucson / Wilcox / Safford / Clifton / Eagar / Show Low / Payson / Globe / Oro Valley loop last year on the Connie ... Clifton to Eagar was the best part. I have also done the back road up Mount Lemon and Reddington Pass a few times on the KLR (amongst other things).

I have a question about AZ law, OHV stickers and riding on State Trust Land. Service Arizona suggests that I don't need (and can't get) a OHV sticker on my KLR because it is primarily a "street" bike ... but signs at the entrance to State Trust Lands (Tortolita Mountains) show that OHV stickers are required, as well as a State Land Recreational Use Permit. What is the law? Anyone?
  13. DesertDuster

DesertDuster Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer:
    I have an OHV decal for my KLR as well as regular tags. Many people say to register as an off road vehicle in order to not pay the regular tags. If you are riding on State Trust Land you should have the decal. I am not worried about the $25/yr extra price tag so I can go wherever I want.

Ron
  14. TwoRats

TwoRats Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an AZ OHV sticker on my 950 Adventure. You need only this sticker to ride on State Trust lands - as long as you stay on marked roads. You need the special permit only if you stray off of them. I was confused about all this also until I spoke to the AZ Game and Fish peep at last year's Overland Expo in Flagstaff.
  15. Godzillat2

Godzillat2 Clown on mini bike

Oddometer:
    I'm building up a DR650 for dirt riding around southern AZ. Hope to meet some people through this thread. I also ride a '10 Connie. A great alternate to the road ride you mentioned is Three Way to Glenwood, Reserve, then over to Alpine. In either direction it is an awesome ride on the C14. Not as demanding as Clifton to Eager, but great fun otherwise.
  16. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    I missed the fact that the tank and muffler needed touchup painting yesterday when I painted the subframe.
    So, I'm waiting for paint to dry before finishing reassemble. Finding that the subframe had completely broken off and that the rear fender was being supported by the rack was a bit of a surprise.

[​IMG]

The broken off part:

[​IMG]

After Neil welded it up and I painted it:

[​IMG]

I expect to go ridng tomorrow.
  17. Drizzt

Drizzt Ranger

Oddometer:
    Great to see you're back in gear! Pretty crazy about the subframe:eek1
  18. KIC

KIC Proud Army Dad

Oddometer:
    Tucson, we keep our ice in the freezer, Arizona
    You go to DMV and register your bike as Primarily off road. I had my KLR650 registered that way for years. It also dropped my registration fees to around $6.00/yr plus the $25.00 OHV fee. :deal

It is what ever you say your bike is...:deal now I couldn't get away with saying my Venture 1300 was primarily off road, but why would I...

19. DesertDuster

Oddometer:
    Here is a link to our New Mexico Adventure ride last weekend.

Route: Redington, Cascabel, 3 Links, Willcox, Hot Dunes, Hackberry, Duncan
    Silver City, Lake Roberts, Snow Lake, Mogollon, Safford, 3 Links, Redington
    Distance: 650 miles

Play slideshow

below is the return route

[​IMG]
  20. DesertDuster

Oddometer:
    Here is a link to our New Mexico Adventure ride last weekend.

Route: Redington, Cascabel, 3 Links, Willcox, Hot Dunes, Hackberry, Duncan
    Silver City, Lake Roberts, Snow Lake, Mogollon, Safford, 3 Links, Redington
    Distance: 650 miles

Play slideshow

below is the return route

[​IMG]