Sierra Nevada Foothill Rides - San Andreas to Oakhurst

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Odin69, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Odin69

Odin69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that would be good. I need to see if my bikes will start up? I haven't tried cranking them up in awhile. I'll keep in touch.
  2. Odin69

Odin69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I started the DRZ up yesterday. I was surprised that it cranked over and ran pretty good. I don't think I've started it since last May? I didn't even winterize it, I just hooked it up to the charger once a month.

Now, I guess I need to go out and ride the thing? :D
  3. Mr B

Mr B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking to ride soon too. thinking about the Sheetiron 300?
  4. Odin69

Odin69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, when's that going on? I've never rode in it, but, I heard it can get pretty dusty?

Are you working right now? The wife has next week off. I might be able to get some time for a small 2-3 day ride somewhere, if you're interested?
  5. coarsegoldkid

coarsegoldkid Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a reminder to both of you and anyone else I'm leading a dual sport ride on Friday the 25th of April out of Oakhurst. This is the weekend where my BMW riding friends descend upon the area. If memory serves me this is the 7th year. I think I mentioned it to you Bruce and Jason you went out one time with a couple of riders. We are staying in the Comfort Inn in Oakhurst and have booked up around 30+ rooms. The dual sport group will be not more than 6-7 bikes as far as I can tell. A couple of the bikes are large BMW GSs, a couple of 950 KTMs, a DRZ and me on my KTM690. Join the fun. if you decide to join us and wish to stay a night there mention that you are with the BMW group for a discounted rate. I plan to stay there Thursday, Friday and Saturday. As for all the other riders, they will be riding pavement.
  6. Mr B

Oddometer:
    Hey Joe

Have not forgotten just not sure I can make it on Friday, I started working and that will be my second week! so asking for a day off early is going to be tough. But I might be able to make it Saturday if you guys ride DS that day.
  7. coarsegoldkid

Oddometer:
    Hey guys the Stewards of the Sierra National Forest are having their Dual Sport ride in July. Here is the info http://eepurl.com/Tt_i1
  8. St.Stan

St.Stan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going back to the Rim Fire closure, with the exception of the road out to Hetch Hetchy, the closure has been extended through most of 2014:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3796679.pdf

I'm going to be road riding 120 westbound next Tuseday, I was hoping to go north and east linking Cherry Lake to Tuolomne, but even the arterial paved roads are closed. No wonder, they're salvage logging at a frantic pace from what I can tell.
  9. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Good, get the wood out before it rots.
  10. St.Stan

St.Stan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's funny, even in the high intensity burn areas it's only the needles that burn, and the thinner branches. The bark gets singed, but the core of the trunk is totally unscathed and doesn't burn at all. I guess because there's so much water in it.
  11. Mr B

Oddometer:
    Looks like Herwaldt, Formerly Fresno BMW, is putting on an over nighted jun19th and 20th (Sat and Sun) Spoke to Tanner last weekend and seems like they are heading up around Courtright Resv (above Shaver Lake). anyone interested in hooking up and heading down Sat morning, thinking about heading out camping for the weekend......went on one a few years back and Tanner puts on a good ride and if I remember correctly the food and beer was good too:1drink
  12. coarsegoldkid

Oddometer:
    Bruce, As much as I would like to ride the overnighter it's scheduled for the same weekend as the Stewards Of the Sierra National Forest Dual Sport fund raising event. http://www.sotsnf.org/ Herwald family and company are good folks but they don't keep the forest trails open, create new trails and cleared of trash like the Stewards.
  13. Mr B

Oddometer:
    Hey joe where are they camping for the fundraiser?
  14. Mr B

Oddometer:
    just rode Footman Ridge to Devil Lookout and then tried to connect 10 mile grade to Chowchilla Mt Road, going east. I thought they connected closer to the park, either everything is so overgrown that I missed the turns or they never connected! Anyway nice day in the hills, one flat front, but limped home with only two stops for air...man the woods have changed since last time up there!
  15. coarsegoldkid

Oddometer:
    Mr. B
    There is tent camping at the Elks Lodge in with the trailers and motorhomes according to my sources. You might want to call the Elks Lodge for best information. There is a KOA in Coarsegold that looks pretty nice on their web site.
  16. coarsegoldkid

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine was talking to FS personal out of the Sierra Nat Forest and was told, to everyone's surprise, that after the French Fire it was discovered that green trees were falling. They discovered that their root systems were so dry that they had no strength. The trees just fell.
  17. coarsegoldkid

Oddometer:
    I was interested in the Yosemite Adventure Ride which starts out of Buck Meadows. One friend has registered, and another asked me to join him. My inlaws have a cabin in a tract of land along the Evergreen Road. So I know many if not all dirt roads in the forest are closed to all public traffic. FS alert even points this out. I wanted to know the general area in which the route is planned out of Buck Meadows. Two emails to the organizers via their web site with zero response. Maybe one of you on this forum know what's going on regarding closure updates.
  18. Odin69

Odin69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this thread dead? No ones posted on it in awhile.

Here's some pictures I took yesterday over by Valley Springs. Most of it was pavement but, I hit a good stretch of dirt road and found some jeep/quad trails.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride around Valley Springs. Where dat? it looks steep.
  20. St.Stan

St.Stan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you back on the forum. I stalked your profile when the thread was idle and it looked like you were gone for a while.

I do a lot of solo riding down there, going to try to find Bourland Trestle in the first week of may and see if it burned, I'll post a RR here.