Mitas E09 Dakar Tires

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hasenwerk, Aug 25, 2010.

1. kbroderick

kbroderick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd expect better than the 5,000 miles I got on my 1150GS.
  2. OZZY-DUCK

OZZY-DUCK Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am running the E09 Dakar front and rear on my F800.
    By far the best tyre I have run on the bike.
    I have run approx 2000 klm on the Tyres so far.
    90 % off-road . Brilliant grip on a real mix of terrain rocky climbs, mud, sand. I am running 18 psi on front and 24psi rear.
    The bitumen handling is what really blew me away, I was expecting it to not be very good after the report but I found the total opposite. Twisty high country roads the handling was great. After about 1/2 hour I had total faith In the tyre and really laid the bike over . Never skipped out once . Wet bitumen I was careful but still didn't skip out. I don't expect to get high mileage from the Tyres ( maybe 5000 klm) at these pressures but they really do handle better than expected. Another interesting point is when I was going slow with the TKC's you could feel they were knobbys! With these you can't really tell. I found this really fricking weird! I will be buying another set that's for sure.
  3. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    I just completed the Amageza Safari Rally on a 130/18 using a 690 KTM. Did about 2000 km of off-road racing. I took a spare along to change it out midway, but did not have to. It still looks really good. Caused a bit of a front end wobble initially, but it was easy to ride around it. For the money, its a spectacular tyre.
  4. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    i prefer the E 07, by quite a margin, on my 750 super tenere.
    unless the going is really tough.
    TKC on the front.
  5. korkin25

korkin25 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also prefer TKC on front! It's fantastic!!! last frotn tyre I changed after 15k km!!!

On the rear i use e09 dakar woth pressure 1.3BAR.
    It's different fantastic! It goes 10k km! It's nice on dry/wet asphalt and, of course, best in any dirt!

Below my rear tyre at stage near 5k km.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :clap:clap:clap:clap
  6. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    My experience with the E09 in deep sand was not good. I broke my leg.
    The rear is adequate.

IMO better tyres front is Michelin Starcross HP4 ( good wear rate and floats in sand better) and rear is Motoz Tractionator HD desert ( better handling and good wear)
  7. sati8d

sati8d REALLY?? Eh! Oh! ca va pas non???

Oddometer:
    Guys,
    These are the first knobs I put on my GS Adv - a very heavy bike. Heidies were good but for a sand off-road event, I went to knobbies on recommendation. So after some homework - I bought the Dakar E09's front and back.
    The first 500 miles were pretty slick with my tractor throttle - I could spin it pretty easy in a turn if I pumped the wrist. Had to break them in and ease into and out of my turns.
    Then I did the event and haven't looked back once - the tires are surprisingly able in everything except of 85 mph they get a little floaty.
    Here's the pix of my tires as of today at 6200 miles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. JN3n

JN3n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Mitas line up of E-07, E-09 and E-10will be available soon in the USA . The first container order is being put together at the factory now . Should be a few weeks until the container is shipped . DOT Spec tires are available and there will be a post in the vendor section when they get closer to the delivery date. Usually around the time the customs notice arrives.
    From most of the discussions with Mitas riders is that the E-07 is the preferred front tire for best all around use. Then a suitable rear tire is picked for your riding preference , terrain , etc. ( E- 07,09 or 10)
    Personally for daily riding mostly on pavement and hard pack dirt on my 800GS I run a higher air pressure as these tires seem to like a little more air .

I know that www.durelleracing.com in Colorado will be a stocking the whole E-series line when they arrive.
    Davey Durelle is also one of the top suspension gurus in the USA . He was a former AMA Pro Flattrack national number and has won the pikes peak Hillclimb a few Times overall and won a motorcycle class 14 or 15 times . I guess this would qualify him as somewhat proficient in the art of motorcycle suspension and bike set up . :D
  9. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    The E-07 on the front sucks. I chucked mine before it wore out. before it hurt me
    The Conti blows it out of the water.
  10. JN3n

JN3n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How long ago did you have the E-07 on the front ?
  11. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depends on what you want and what you ride. For all around I like the 07 on the front but if I am doing a lot of dirt I put on the 09. I like the 07 on the front and back better than the Heidi K60. To each his own.
  12. Mitas

Mitas caretaker

Oddometer:
    Check this video !

:clap:clap:clap

Tyre : E-09 Dakar

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/JWIZfYQhgMc?hl=de_DE&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/JWIZfYQhgMc?hl=de_DE&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  13. NeptuneTriton

NeptuneTriton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw that today! My buddy above (iJabborwocky) both commented, "notice anything about the tires he was using?" As we both really like the Dakar's.

Great tire! I sold the KLR pictured earlier and I'm the proud new owner of a KTM 990 Baja. Once the tires that came on it wear out, I'll be throwing another set of Mitas E09's on it.
  14. Beeners

Beeners Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. Beeners

Beeners Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I received my 140/80-18 E-09. I'm concerned about it fitting the stock 2.5" rim on my 690. Tire bead is 4.5" wide resting in my house. Not sure about squeezing it onto the stock rim.

Is it possible and prudent to run this wide bead tire on the stock rim?

Hoping I didn't buy the wrong size!?!
  16. Beeners

Beeners Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally wore the second MT-21 rear down to a near slick on my 690 Enduro R. Revzilla said 140/80 is the size for a 690. Mitas said that the minimum recommended rim width is 2.75"; however, KTM said it works on the 2.5" rim on the 690. I decided to give it a try.

The 140/80-18 E-09 Dakar mounted up fine by hand, though I did need three irons to get the second side into the stock 2.5" rim on my 690. Adequate on bike clearance all around. Closest point is the chain guard with about 1/2" (13mm) clearance.

A short 5 mile (13km) ride on pavement and it seems to be fine. I noticed much better braking traction on dry pavement compared to a very worn MT-21. It only took 1 spoke weight of 1/2 oz (14g) to get the static balance very close on my balancing stand.

I think this rear tire may be the one, pending sand and mud testing in 3 days.
  17. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any updates?
  18. Beeners

Beeners Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. E09 is much nicer on the road: quieter, seems to wear a lot less, better traction.

In dirt, gravel quarry tailings, and sand, seems about the same as the MT-21.

In deep red sticky clay mud, perhaps a little less directional stability. Great acceleration and braking though.

In ice, sleet and snow on pavement, about the same as mud. A little squirrelly when front tire is in one frozen rut and rear tire is offset in another. Can't compare the frozen to the MT21 since I've only had one chance to ride the ice and that was with the E09.

Overall, a better tire for me, especially if I can get more than 1300 miles out of it.
  19. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the details. This sounds like a good option for a DOT knobby. Hopefully the useful life is more than a few thousand miles.
  20. SMURPH

SMURPH Still learning

Oddometer:
    Hey folks

About to order 2 - 4 sets of the Mitas E-07Dakars. Is there still an active coupon code out there (for MX1Canada) ? Doesn't hurt to ask :)

Last 4 sets have been Heidi's but I think i'm ready for a change.

S