Mojave-Madness, Johnson Valley, Dec.27, 2012...

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by catfish, Dec 7, 2012.

1. catfish

catfish Squidicus Adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:
    A few No.Cal friends are planning to ride Johnson Valley after Christmas. Many trips to Mojave north of CA-58, 1st to JV. Damn, that's a BIG, OPEN desert! :clap

Driving down & setting up camp on the 26th, and riding from the 27th thru the 1st or so. Others will come & go on different days. Looking for like-minded intermediate riders with well-prepped dirtbikes (plated for DS loops) who want to explore JV and the surrounding mountains. Or who might have some favorite trails you would like to lead us on. :evil

Planning to stage at Means Lake. How's the holiday crowds there & elsewhere in JV?

The SBNF south of JV sure looks inviting. Planning a DS loop to Pioneertown and who knows what else!

Any JV clues or recommendations are appreciated.

Let's Ride!

Catfish ...
  2. Jeff aka BOLT

Jeff aka BOLT Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer:
    Thats by back yard but I'll be heading south to Ocotillo Wells !
  3. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    i could make it out there on Sunday Dec 30th.

lemme know what your schedule is.

:ricky
  4. cbig

cbig Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer:
    Hmm.. J valley vs O wells...decisions decisions...
  5. catfish

Oddometer:

Excellent! Sounds like we are scheduled to chase _you_ on Sunday! :deal

I'm still searching GE for JV singletrack & seeing where all these tracks go. There are PILES of it out there! I hear the Hammers crowd prefer to camp near Means Lake. How is the singletrack down there?

Catfish ...
  6. Maliwal

Maliwal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    JV's gonna be a zoo, but that sounds like it'd be fun. I'll get back to you, but I might tag along. Need to know more of the ADVcrew, right?
  7. catfish

Oddometer:

Yeah, I'm leaning towards camping near the Means Lake ZOO now. I'll have to remember my ear plugs to sleep I'm sure! We need to camp closer to a more southern ride we are planning with others that week.

Catfish ...
  8. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are camping at means I can take you on a killer ride through Landers out to Pioneer Town. Dualsport bikes only. Maybe the 27th or 28th? If you don't want to dualsport we could do a Landers loop with no Pioneer Town.

JV has millions of trails, and another million whoops. Staying off the well used trails is the ticket to having fun out there.

Glenn
  9. catfish

Oddometer:

Thanks for the offer Glenn! You're the 2nd person to offer a DS ride in that area. It must be GREAT!

Are those dates better for you? How different would the dirtbike loop be from the DS loop? More technical, perhaps? :ear

We have time to work out details for several days riding!. I'm looking forward to riding with you.

Thanks for the info! Many are telling us to get away from the camping areas. Just like Cal.City near Borax Bill. Crowded & whooped out. A few miles away and its all yours!

I'll get to those PMs next.

Catfish ...
  10. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dirtbike loop in Landers area close to same as dualsport loop but shorter no Ptown. Dualsport always provides more options, but I like riding my 300 2stroke too. Pioneertown is not a must do destination for me. It is a very hip place though. Very quiet on weekdays but lots of folks on a nice winter weekend day if the wind isn;t howling. Harley bikers, offroaders, ADV riders,musicians, hippie chicks, cowboys, tourists. You guys need to check it out.

You guys could dualsport to Joshua Tree NP if you had a mind to. Spectacular scenery, dirt roads only once off pavement. No trails. Very easy dualsporting, big bikes ok. There is a park entry fee. As an added bonus, the smell of good weed and pachouli oil in the campgrounds!
  11. catfish

Oddometer:

Thanks for the great info Glenn. I want to ride your DS Ptown loop on Friday, the 28th. Let me know if that works for you, as others are asking me about rides & schedules.

I've been through Joshua Tree NP a couple of times before, so its not new for me. Definitely more of an easy big-bike ride. I suspect those smells will be in JV CGs also. :wink:

Here is a tentative ride schedule for the beginning of the trip;

Thursday, 27th - Ride east end of JV and explore singletrack into the mountains. Probably 2 short loops that day, north & east of Means Lake.

Friday, 28th - Landers2Ptown DS loop chasing Mojave Mutt?

Saturday, 29th - North & west across JV exploring singletrack along/across mtns. Maybe to Slash-X Cafe & back. Could be long day with gas stop at I-15 sw of barstow.

Sunday, 30th - DS Ride chasing Razr south of JV.

More as we figure out what else to go ride. I'm still evaluating many jv & area tracks on GE looking for singletrack to string together & explore. Any other ride recommendations out there, or just general areas where exploring might be productive? :ear If YOU are planning to join in on the fun, let us know which days you plan to ride.

10 more days before the madness begins! :ricky

Catfish ...
  12. CollinsB

CollinsB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in,... providing a have another bike by then. I just sold the XR, and actively seeking a replacement.
  13. TwoWheelsGood

TwoWheelsGood Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer:
    IN!

Planning to join you with truck, trailer, moto and dog Thursday morning and maybe stay through Saturday evening. Do you know what time you'll be rolling Thursday AM?
  14. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:

I should be able to do the 28th to Ptown no problem. What kind of group size would you think you would have for that day?
    Are you still camping at Means?
  15. catfish

Oddometer:

Good luck! I hope Santa brings you a new dirtbike!

Great! I haven't seen your Lab is a few years. I'll try to get folks moving by 9-9:30AM. Airon is driving in on the 26th also. Waiting to hear from another definite & a few maybes.

Its been TOO WET up here to ride! I'm ready for some wet sand though! ;-)

Thanks for the offer! I only know of 3-4 of us with you on the 28th. Rearsteer probably won't be able to make the rides, but he did tell me a good place to camp near Means. North on Boone Rd, across the new bridge over the wash, and then NW towards the base of the hills. I'll post a gps coordinate later.

Catfish ...
  16. catfish

Oddometer:

JV Campsite Location ... Look for my older dark-green Toy Tundra with a light-grey Wells-Cargo enclosed trailer chasing it, near the base of these hills.

Here are a GPX file & a KMZ file, and the KMZ file shown in GoogleMaps with the campsite waypoint. Right-click on the file links and select "save as ...". Ride waypoints & suggested tracks will be available in camp.

I'll be driving down via 58->395south, thru Victorville, Apple Valley, etc. on the 26th. Who sells good firewood down there? I usually get 1/4 cord of almond at the Cal.City Ace Hardware when camping in that area.

Catfish ...
  17. Rearsteer

Rearsteer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mike, Take 58 to 15, turn off on 247 in Barstow. 247 to Boon Rd. This cuts out a bunch of junk in Apple Valley.
  18. Kap

Kap Single Track Scalpel

Oddometer:
    Hey hey, don't be calling Apple Valley junk.
  19. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    :roflya think Scott meant your house?
  20. Rearsteer

Rearsteer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its not the apples that are junk, its the 20 or so stop lights I don't care for.