Hanging Rock 200 - 2013 Edition

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by muddyrabbit, Jan 18, 2013.

1. flyingz06

flyingz06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bring my wr 250 or multistrada for the AMA ride?
  2. Buckeye Dualsporter

Buckeye Dualsporter Buckeye Dualsporter1

Oddometer:
    Both!!! 250 for the saturday DS and the Duc for Sunday OR ride both days of the adventure ride. Lots of options.
  3. thump

thump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    we've been wanting to try one of these ohio rides. looking to find all the single track/hero sections we can. is hanging rock a good ass whipping or a more mellow scenic two track kind of ride?
  4. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Hehe, you shouldn't have asked that. Don't worry, there are bail out points.
  5. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:
    The only two-track on the dual sport ride I saw was the road between sections. That being said, the dry parts are not that bad. The wet/mud will be anyone's guess. Like MR said, there are plenty of bailout spots. If you can. bring a map or GPS load of the secondary roads in the area. If you bail out, it can be kind of hard to find your way back unless you want to go on the main roads.
  6. eas

eas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We're gearing up to start trail layout/clearing work. We'll keep everyone's concerns in the back of our minds, somewhere way back there. We try to lay out the ride so that it's a "fun" trail ride if it's dry. We've got no control over the wet conditions. Many of you remember the first year of Scott's Torture Track that we warned everybody about, but few listened. Not to forget coming off the first trail section of Day 1 to a 1/4 mile section of Creek Road (Really, that's the name of it.) which was two feet under water.

Jus sayin'...
  7. flyingz06

flyingz06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So your sunday ride is roads only? The multistrada is not fitted with dual sport tires you know
  8. Buckeye Dualsporter

Oddometer:
    The Sunday adventure ride has everything except single track stuff so your Adv bike with agressive tires (not knobbies thought not bad) will work fine
  9. eas

eas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BDS were out in the snow Saturday clearing some of the single track trails. Just didn't seem right not having a bike. Maybe next weekend when we hit the trails again.
  10. Buckeye Dualsporter

Oddometer:
    My grandson is chaffing to help on layout. At least one of my kin has my genes.. Also two days of dualsport now. 4 route cards. Sunday Ohio adventure and West coast Dualsport :rofl
  11. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    West coast Dualsport? Ok what am I not getting here? lol
  12. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Me neither, just gas it.
  13. Buckeye Dualsporter

Oddometer:
    You never road LA to Barsto To Vegas? PM me
  14. OhioPT

OhioPT Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing wide/open trails, aka Ohio no-maintenance roads? I don't think you'll find much dust or whoops this time of year in Ohio.
  15. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Nope. I've ridden PCH down to Santa Barbara over to Ojai then up to Bakersfield then over thru Death Valley and then to Lost Wages. :D

...on my ST1300...on paved roads...
  16. Buckeye Dualsporter

Oddometer:
    This will not be paved roads. I am not saying BUT I know a southern Ohio DS is a B enduro without checks. A Californis DS can be a two up ride. Just saying.
  17. Buckeye Dualsporter

Oddometer:
    Saturday will be hard core and Sunday big bike friendly
  18. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    That will be fine. I'll be tired anyway. Hopefully if won't be as muddy this year as last year. ;)
  19. Buckeye Dualsporter

Oddometer:
    Believe me muddy is not a plus for the crew either.
  20. Buckeye Dualsporter

Oddometer:
    The dualsport event was originated/started in 1990 by Jim Pilon in Southern California. It went big as it was a way to ride off road in spite of the California restrictions. It used fire roads, service roads, desert two track and the like. It avoided pavement and got to use "government roads" as trails were verboten. They had a few forms but mostly an easy big/dirt bike ride. When the craze hit the AMA asked clubs if they would put them on. Ed Groves, Dave Grohman and I bucked the old timers who said "if it is not a race no one would ride it" and created the first classic "Southern Ohio dualsport"in the early 90's. A Southern Ohio Dualsport is a B enduro without checks. As we proved to the old timers in the club it was a success. Later we started Buckeye Dualsporters. So everyone knows Saturday's dualsport will be a classic southern Ohio dualsport that Ed, Dave and I created. We also found that over 23 years of putting these on some of the guys got older. One day of B enduro was plenty but wanted two days of riding. "SO" We are having two route cards on Sunday as well as Saturday. The first day of national dualsport will be classic Southern Ohio dualsport like we first created. Sunday will be the California style that the God Father of dualsport first started. You have been warned.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>