KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. PacWestGS

PacWestGS Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer:
    Sweet, I'm lovin' my '09!
  2. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's no clunker and you know it. Mike and I talked about that bike for weeks. :lol3

That said, the new chassis is awesome, the 09 suspension is excellent out of the box, and for some reason, the 09 seems to run stronger than my 08 did (sorry Hair!).
  3. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The giant stork stopped round my place too this week:clap :lol3 . Busy bird getting across to Western Australia so quickly.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

...and my build thread has already started in the Kiwi Forum here
    Have fun!
    Cheers
    JayBo
  4. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    there is nothing like the feeling of getting a nice new shiny bike..

What range does the stock tank provide with proper offroad gearing?
  5. PacWestGS

Oddometer:
    I was always near 100 miles in the desert with the stock (IIRC 2.8g 11L) tank 80-85 main and another 10-15 on reserve with 15/50 gearing and about 50-75% on the power. It's got to be close to 50mpg or a little better or worse depending on trottle and terrain.
  6. PacWestGS

Oddometer:
    Ned,

You know better of course what you want to do, but KTM is recommending that you do not desmog this, only to permananty remove the drain screw in the catch reservoir (between swing arm) and put some filter material inside to keep the dust collected. Then just clean that once in a while with regular air filter changes.

The jetting worked fine in Baja except for the 4000' pass over La Rumarosa and a dirty air filter, but running with the choke on fixed that. Since you live up there I guess you'll be changing the jetting to suit you location.

Also, the license plate holder will hit the tire eventually DAMHIK. (not a big problem crunchy crunchy...:lol3 )

The only other problem I have had is the GPR damper rod clamp rubbed the headlight wires behind the mask causing a short. Only needed a tad more space away from the top triple (the whole trip meter pod and brackets).
  7. err

err Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this thread is one of the most informative i have ever read. you should be writing for a magazine.
  8. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! When I get a minute, I'll do a long term wrapup on the 08, and then go into what I did differently with building the 09.
    BullHab likes this.
  9. err

err Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    im serious, its not just the information its the tone and delivery, anything you talk about people are going to buy, because you have such a logical approach to things and clearly communicate that balance that it would be hard to imagine you even focusing on something that wouldnt do what you want best.
    just my 2 cents
  10. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would never desmog something! Well, only something that I was going to use on a closed course... :lol3

FWIW, I switched to a 50 leak jet (from a 40), 40 pilot, 170 main, and am still experimenting with needles. I think a JD Red would be ideal but I'm cheap. It runs awesome, starts easy, and seemed to get about 50 mpg this morning on a trailride.
  11. Ryman

Ryman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does a larger leak jet increase or decrease the squirt time??
  12. RiotPat

RiotPat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats.
    So, what spured the change? I didn't realize that the 08 and 09's were so different that one would want to upgrade so soon. I know about a couple of differences like the cam and oil seal but not much else. I just picked up an 08 leftover for a great price and now you have me wondering if I should have just sprung for an 09.

13. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wrapup on the 2008: I sold it because I was having surgery, and needed money more than I needed a bike to sit motionless in my garage all winter. FWIW, I sold my 2007 250 XCW (2-stroke) at the same time, so I was down to zero dirtbikes for a winter, which is not a comfortable place to be.

Hair from this site bought it and still has it I believe, running strong.

The 2009 offers some improvements worth mentioning. First, out of the box the suspension is pretty darn good. Excellent, even. The 08, in my opinion, was way off, as discussed earlier in this thread. Second, there are a few part number refinements within the motor, including some seals and the piston rings, which offer a substantial improvement in, well, something, supposedly. Third, as always, KTM makes some minor refinements, to improve things like the frame boss that was in the way of pulling the cam, etc. Not major, but it's nice that they pay attention and sort things out. And finally, have you seen those new graphics? :lol3

I got my new bike from KTM Aspen, and they are a bang up shop. They know their stuff, they'll turn you on to what you need (jetting, etc etc), and they'll do everything they can to make a good deal. Website linked above.
  14. PacWestGS

Oddometer:
    I understand the transmission got some 'beefing up' also. New stronger shaft and such.
  15. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    :wave Ned!

Nice to see you are playing!! and keeping yourself busy!!!

I happened to get an 08' 450EXC after your Tennessee clinic last year and loved the bike so much I just can't bear to sell it - even though I could have gotten an 09' - maybe I should have :scratch

Here is my 1/2 Beast prepped for the Sandblast:
    [​IMG]

I did all the common mod's and even put in a heavier rear spring as it was too soft for me, big difference - but I'm not at the level to be as picky or understand as much about the suspension as you do to do beyond that just yet.

You've got me thinking about that Akro exhaust! but I got a Scotts Damper already so I think all the work I did prepping for the Sandblast (Trail Tech X2 HID's as well) killed my accessory budget for 09 in a month!

D
  16. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like your's has the same header pipe dent as mine:lol3 . Removing the header and filling it with water and then freezing it will pop that sucker out nicely. Repeat a couple or few times if necessary but it works a treat. You'll hardly know the dent's there.
    Dirty450 likes this.
  17. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jay! I just won't let the wife know the pipe is alongside the beef!
    D
  18. c.herman126

c.herman126 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. . .that's the exact same dent as my 08 530 EXC-R! Thanks for the tip JayBo! :thumb

I haven't been on this thread in a while--it's good to catch up! Thanks guys.
  19. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    I have a pretty good sized chest freezer if you need it:lol3
  20. Jack90210

Jack90210 quia ego nominor leo

Oddometer:
    Wow, how'd I miss this? :lurk