Top Ifve mods/add-ons for 990 ADV?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Jbone11 11, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    After I picked up the 990 a few weeks ago I was in touch with buddy of mine in Vancouver who has a '06 ('07?? can't remeber) and asked him what he thought the top five must do's would be for the 990 Adventure.
    His response was:

Add-ons? Well.. Paniers and rack for starters... I've got the stock Hepco and Becker plastics... they're actually quite phenomenal in terms of the beating they will take. They may not look as cool as the Aluminum, but they don't shred when you put the bike down and can be fixed with Duct Tape.
    HID For sure... I'm super glad I upgraded the headlight on mine... the North American lights are Neutered compared to the European... the HID is a good way to grab some safety.
    Crash bars for the front of the bike... I don't ride my bike as aggressively as I'd like to off-road because I worry about putting it down and not being able to afford to fix them.
    Depending on how feel about the mapping on the bike, you can buy a Throttle Cam to smooth out the first little bit. Handy for around town.
    HEATED VEST AND GRIPS!!! Now that you've got a bike that makes you want to drive nearly year round... get a heated vest and Grips so you can!
    Depending on how much you want to push the bike off road, you can buy a kickstand re-locater, it moves the kickstand off of the outside of the engine... some guys who push their bike off road have torn the kickstand out of the Engine Case and well... that's expensive.
    Also, there is an aftermarket kit that helps take about an hour of dicking around off of what will soon be the longest Oil Changes of your life. That's a nice to have.....

Wondering what others might have to add to that list.

Since winter will be here relatively soon (in my case anyway:puke1) I will have some down time to beef up the bike for next season, which I am planning to be as epic as I can afford to make it:evil
    That is unless this winter is unseasonably warm....in which case I won't have any down time:lol3
  2. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Wings mufflers. Less weight, less heat, great sound. And a lot cheaper than Akro's. :1drink
  3. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...but the Akro's are soooo nice!:evil

That said, I have been looking into a 2-1 system. Thinking that having that extra storage on long trips could come in handy....also thinking a single can on the back might make the arse a little less toasty on long hot days.

EDIT: Scratch that... just had a look at the Wings.....very nice....very interesting. Tx for the heads up:freaky
  4. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    The Wings are made in the same factory... :1drink
  5. DiRtsoUP

DiRtsoUP Sweatychef

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new money pit :wink:....aside from the usual bling farkles here are a few things to seriously consider in order to make these pigs ridable...

1/Suspension, revalved & sprung....can't stress this enough.
    2/Steering stabilizer w clamps for the sandy stuff.
    3/ Strong tubeless rims (Woody's)...easier to repair on the fly.
    4/ Recluse Clutch...never put your foot down when sitting on 500lbs
    5/ 2into1 exhaust...room for extra storage or fuel.
    6/ Soft luggage...love the Gobi's but they're too wide for highway stability.

....after you've drained your bank account with these upgrades tire choice won't be an issue at high speeds loaded up. Enjoy your endless late night Flea Market browsing.

2009 SE
    2010 990R
    2013 350 XCF-W
    2012 Ossa Tr280i
  6. zeegman

zeegman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1. Supension spring replace and revalve
    2. Side stand relocator bracket
    3. Clutch slave replace with aftermarket
    4. 2 into 1 with aftermarket exhaust and adventure spare gas tank - I have akropovic which works well for 2 into 1 but there are others.
    5. Add studs on front mounting points of front engine guards.
    Others - Uni Pre-filter - works well and is easy to remove clean replace - do it when I do oil changes., Oil change kit from CJ, water pump rebuild kit from CJ, remap throtle jerkiness if earlier 990s, Roxx risers, 908RR for rear tires, sprockets, Renazco seat, etc.

Mike Z
  7. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely considering the water pump kit.... the water pump my buddys 990 packed it in when he got to my Place in Rome.... but Im still doning my research on whats been imporved upon with the 2011 model. Kick stand relocate is also one of the first things I'll do.

As for the throttle jerk...must be older models as mines fine. Either that or I don't notice it as Im coming from the Ducati 748 and the 996 SPS...you definitely learn real quick to be smooth on the throttle with those things... almost fell off my 748 the first time I rode it!:lol3
  8. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As for the Suspension revalve and spring replacement....any particular reason why? Are they prone to Shitting the bed when you need em most?
  9. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
  10. BykBoy

BykBoy Meshuganeh Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Nailed it! :clap:clap:clap
  11. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sidestand relocator to save the engine!!!!!

/Johan
  12. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Suspension re-spring/re-valve: Never met a bike that didnt need the suspension tuned for the individual rider.

Proper skid plate: No explanation necessary

Side stand relocator: see above

Rekluse: Some folks like the Rekluse, others don't. Its a personal preference, but it makes the 500 lb beast way easier to handle in the rock gardens or in any slow technical terrain.

Scotts stabilizer: The bike tends to get ridden fast in off road conditions. Will guard against tank slappers that would otherwise result in intense pain.

Essential mods are an individual thing, and there are a lot of other mods I like as well, but these are my top 5 for how I use the bike.

Others to consider:

Excel A60 front wheel with oversized spokes

CJ's water pump kit

Cut down stock wind screen to get your helmet in clean air
  13. Whec716

Whec716 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    anyone know the price of the woody rims?
  14. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Woody rims... I was under the impression going tubeless on the front was a bit of an Iffy mod for any sort of serious off road use. Something about the bead not sitting secure enough? I'd definitely want to do the rear.... more expensive tires though:1drink
  15. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Well, thats not exactly the reason for a damper. Its primary purpose is to mitigate tank slappers induced by front wheel deflections.

To ride sand, get your ass off the seat, attack position, keep your ass and weight back, constant throttle, loose grip on the bars, let the front wander how it wants, and steer the bike with the pegs. Dont chop the throttle, and never, ever touch the front brake.:lol3 The damper will come into play when the front deflects off a rock or rut.

Keep a tube in the front. Excel A60, oversized spokes, HD or UHD tube. I ran a sealed rear wheel for a while and I liked it. I ran all kinds of tires on it, tube type, tubeless etc, and they all worked fine. The downside of running a tubeless rear IMO is that you cant really air it down too much or you'll ding the rim and lose the seal or possibly break the bead over rocks. Another down side is that when the tire starts to get worn and chewed up by sharp rocks it will leak air. If you put in a can of fix a flat to seal it up again, the chemicals will start eating away at the spoke nipple sealant after a while and it will leak through the spokes. However for pavement and gravel roads where I kept the pressure up in the 30's, I like the tubeless rear since flat repair was a 5 minute deal. Although real tubeless rim is the best option if you want to go tubeless IMO.

Yes, the stock forks are under sprung. Some folks simply put in heavier springs, some do the springs and re-valve. I would recommend Superplush suspension in San Fran. James knows the big KTM's and I have been very happy with his work. I left my rear shock stock as it worked well enough for me, but a Superplush re-valve would improve it as well IMO.
  17. Lurkerlou

Lurkerlou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1) wider pegs
    2) heavier front springs and a re valve
    3) better skid plate
    4) side stand relocator
    5) exhaust
  18. BigNastybrp

BigNastybrp Big Nasty

Oddometer:
    1=Front rim lock $2.50
    2=skid plate $300 black dog
    3=forks to super plush ???
    4=wider pegs $85 zip ty racing
    5=seat concepts foam and cover $160

the others
    side stand relocate $50? black dog
    rear rack plate $100 black dog
    oil drain line?
    d908 rear $210
    rally front $85
  19. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    1 side stand bracket!!!!!!!
    2 exhaust (2-1)
    3 seat upgrade (Renazco for me)
    4 light upgrade ( I did the euro headlight/switch and a PIAA Superwhite bulb)
    5 Windscreen
  20. katanarama

katanarama riding > posting

Oddometer:
    Most noticeable and probably cheapest mod is a new front sprocket to gear it down. The bike is plenty tall at the top end for highway and a tooth difference makes it so much more manageable off ride and at slow street speeds.

(But, Akros and a nice 19"/17" wheel set with street tires is lots of fun. :D )