am i a wimp? - center stand issue

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by maxboxa, Mar 27, 2012.

1. maxboxa

maxboxa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i just bought an 1150gsa and am getting to know it. now, i'm a good size fella and can bench over 300 on a good day. why is it that i just can't seem to get this heifer up on the center stand? is it all technique? :cry
  2. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lift up on the frame and push down on the centerstand with your foot at the same time.
  3. HomeR365

HomeR365 n00b

Oddometer:
    It is a fine mix of technique and muscle. I grab onto the black tube that is the support for the passenger foot peg, and do all my lifting and pulling there, while at the same time pushing down on the center stand. I think the trick is to be lifting the bike onto the stand rather than trying to pull it back onto it.
  4. Okie Preacher

Okie Preacher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also, make sure she is standing straight/vertical on the center stand--not cocked to one side or the other. Once you get the hang of it she will pop right up. Piece of cake. :thumb
  5. Sox Fan

Sox Fan SoxFan

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem. Bought an 1150GSA a month ago and really struggled to get it on the stand at first. My R1200RT is not a small bike but I never had an issue getting it on the stand.

The trick for me is to grab it low by the passenger foot peg as mentioned above and pull it up and back with an emphasis on back. On the RT, really just had to push straight down with my foot on the center stand and it popped right up. Not so much with this monster.
  6. RoverGS

RoverGS Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent explanation, spot on. May I add just a little to it? The trick is in the foot. You shouldnt have to actually "lift" anything. Mostly just firmly assisting up onto the center stand while applying firm pressure on the center stand foot peg with your foot. With a couple of attempts, you'll discover it's actually quite simple and crazy that your foot can lift such a heavy pig onto its center stand.
  7. maxboxa

maxboxa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all. Went out to the garage and managed to get it up with more oomph on the center stand peg. I guess that's the key. Of course I was sweating at that point and decided to come in for a beer. :clap
  8. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    With my 1200GS (I know - it's 60 lbs lighter and easier than an 1150) - it seems to be all about getting my full 215 lb lard-ass weight onto the centerstand lift. I don't really seem to lift the bike, just balance it as the counterweighting of the centerstand does the job.
  9. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    Has the bike been lowered? Lowered GS's are practically impossible to get onto the center stand.

Sorry, sounds like you've got it figured out.
  10. charles960

charles960 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lowered is a great question :D

My trouble was always getting it OFF the CS fully loaded. The bike, not me.

Charles
  11. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    YES YOU ARE A WIMP...... just kidding :lol3:lol3

when I got my 12GSA, it was all muscle to stand it up.... Now all technique & no muscle...

It'll come to ya....

Oh yah: congrats on the new ride.....:clap
  12. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not so much the foot as making sure that you put all your weight on the foot while standing on the centerstand peg. Pretty easy if you weigh over 200, really difficult if you weigh less than that as you need to make up the difference with muscle. A good place to grab onto helps a lot with that, but if you are tall the passenger peg is too low. An RT has a nifty little fold-away handle just for this purpose but I have not seen one for a GS. Also, if your shocks have seen better days, then it gets harder as it has further to go. If I really want mine up on the centerstand I roll the front wheel up on a piece of 2x4 first.
  13. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Colleen is a lightweight 62 year old Grandma. She can get her R1150GS on the center stand. I don't believe MUCH muscle is involved. It's designed in the bike. First you always have bike on sidestand. You have left hand on handlebar and right hand on bike frame. Then you put your right foot on the center stand foot pad and push the stand to the ground. Then you tilt the bike square so both sides of the center stand touch the ground. Then you 'STAND' on the foot pad, gently pulling the bike backwards ahold of the quarter frame about where the muffler is attached. It helps to really STAND on the pad, a really good knee bend stand. You can retract side stand after this for safety. I wouldn't try muscle-ing the bike up, you could hurt yourself.
    She can also get it OFF the center stand whilst sat/stood on the bike. I reccomend having side stand UP for this manouver. This is harder to explain in print. It invloves a thrutch of the pelvic region. No, there are no pictures :deal
  15. maxboxa

maxboxa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try this tomorrow. went back out to the garage and I'm 1 for 10 and just about to pop a blood vessel. I don't think it's lowered, but the rear tire is worn down and it's probably a little low on pressure.
  16. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    It's all technique......more push on the stand than pull on the bike does it for me, and I'm not a big guy.
  17. fasterlaster

fasterlaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is so true, and you WILL get the hang of it. Just continue to practice when appropriate.
  18. Namecheck

Namecheck Like a Sir!

Oddometer:
    Try one smooth motion. Push with the foot, pull up and toward with the arms. All the older gents can do it easier than I can because they have the timing right. Find a level spot to practice.
  19. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    It's more stepping on the centerstand than lifting up on the bike, just a smooth motion and you got it! :deal
  20. ACD

ACD old nOOb

Oddometer:
    Also make sure the bike the bike is in NEUTRAL. I realized I was trying to make it roll back but the rear wheel was dragging! MUCH harder that way... rsrsrsrs... I was pulling so hard on that Wunderlich handle that my hand would show an imprint of it. Hope it helps.