XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Feral Chia Tamer

Oddometer:
    If you REALLY want to get something apart try a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. It is the best thing ever. I'll never buy another can of otc penetrant.
  2. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Feral Chia Tamer

Oddometer:

:freaky
  3. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    not the first time i've heard this. That makes it true on the internet. :lol3
  4. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:

IMO, the 358 Norma is every bit as powerful as a 338 Win, just a little fatter bullet. Should roll an elk or anything else for that matter. Practice as much as your shoulder and wallet will allow.:clap
  5. GlockPointer

GlockPointer NachosRiflesAlchohol

Oddometer:

Welcome to the board Danse, I would like to add not to get PB Blaster on anything but your work as that stuff reeks to high hell. Good stuff tho.
    Oh and we need pics of yer bike Danse, gotta make sure you on the level.
  6. pngaudioguy

pngaudioguy Just...one...more...

Oddometer:
    Lindy can service my forks anytime she wants.

As to the PB Blaster - not going to happen here in Belgium. No Wally World in sight, and no chance of finding it in the local Bricolage. I can get acetone and ATF, though. Based on the various comments from others who've had experience with this muffler, sounds like it might be time to visit the local parc a conteneur to drop it off instead. I'm not totally dissatisfied with the stock muffler with washer mod, I just remember being in love with the sound of the original White Bros E.A.R. muffler, and jumped at the chance to get one.

I'll have another Westmalle Tripel while I contemplate, though.
  7. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    For gun use, google "Ed's Red".
  8. Mossy-Back

Mossy-Back Nookie Monster

Oddometer:
    Reading this page I've finally figured out what I've been doing wrong when i work on the bike. I need to be wearing daisy dukes! Problem Solved!

[​IMG]

Okay, now that you have all gouged your eyes, back to our regularly scheduled program:

[​IMG]
  9. Haywood

Haywood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chula Vista,CA (spittin' distance from Baja)
    Thanks for that brown falcon, NOT. :puke2
    But yeah, speaking of back to our regularly scheduled programming, this:

I need a litle help guys. The bike is pinging and I'm not sure what steps to take. I hear it when I roll on the throttle while going 50 or 60 mph, in 5th gear. It is so bad I can hear it over the wind noise. I have also heard it while in fourth, again at 3/4 to full throttle. It does it despite the type of gasoline I use.

Stock motor except for the "usual" mods: Dave's carb mods, Uni filter, snorkel removed, stock header with FMF Q4. Standard plug. (not the hot or cold range)

Other than this the bike runs great. Starts easily, hot or cold. Good throttle response, no flat spots or hiccups anywhere. I have experienced this a few years ago and I think what I did was to go up a size or two on the main jet. I remember that taking care of it for the most part, but now it's back and needs to be fixed. I need to start keeping notes on this stuff. Can't stand the sound of it and I know what it can do to the motor.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for guns and pussy. I try to keep as much of those around as possible. :evil
  10. gammel

gammel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Helio fellow XRL owners. My name is Chris. aka "Bergie" I live in the SF bay area and new to the forums. Although I've lurked on and off for a few years. Hopefully I will be able to contribute here and there. Here is a pic of the bike on the WABDR. [​IMG][​IMG] hopefully pics loaded.
  11. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
  12. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that an older Supertrapp? I hate to say it but thats a pretty weak looking build design to begin with......doesn't look easily serviceable or very durable at all. Like Brown said you could prolly fight the thing apart....patch it back together and hope it holds up for a while longer, but your bike deserves better. Just pick up another can.....maybe look for a good used deal, or even try the DG for $160 on e-bay, I've heard good things about them.
  13. Redclayrider

Redclayrider Long time gone

Oddometer:
    Had to look that one up.:rofl
  14. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry buddy I have the same thing happen to mine when I tried to repack it. I was not able to fix mine after I did that. I went back to stock for a couple of years. Now I found a 600 with the baffle removed that works a lot better then the supertrapp.
  15. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    has anyting changed that you know of since before the problem to after? I assume no, but should ask. Next could be, clean the carb and check for vacuum (intake) leaks. After that, you have to pop the top and work your way down. Though, you should only have to check the cam and valves. COuld be you have a rocker that's going south too....
  16. Haywood

Haywood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chula Vista,CA (spittin' distance from Baja)
    Thanks, mang! No, nothing has changed. I'll try the easy stuff first.
    Herlong, huh? I've driven through that area. Beautiful country.
  17. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    have you been running rich for a long time? carbon buildup?
  18. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haywood,

Pull the carb intake boot and check for cracks.
  19. Mossy-Back

Mossy-Back Nookie Monster

Oddometer:
    So...

What battery-tender are y'all using, and what are you using for leads? I think I'm gonna need to pick one up soon. Battery is weak cranking on these cold mornings.

A link would be great, or a part number and a store (Walmart, dealer, etc.)
  20. RZRob

RZRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

You know those times when an extra inch would come in handy? Or when you're having difficulty finding the hole and before you know it you've made a mess out of everything?

OK, well maybe not, but I was at Harbor Freight today and stumbled upon these little goodies. A pair runs a measly $1.49 and fits your traditional oil bottle neck or the larger size like comes with Mobil 1 for instance. These are small and light enough that one might just be worth packing on the long trips. I like the way they firmly attach to the bottle and nicely fit the fill hole on the XR.

Thought I'd pass this along for any of you guys that need a little help.

RZ Rob

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]