What Did You Do To Your KTM Today?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by DeeGee, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    re: Battery
    It's the same battery as the Braille 106 from what I understand... there was a huge long thread on it a while back that I read last night and decided this battery was a great solution for $79 with a 2 year warranty from a store up the street :thumb

edit: Here is the original thread on it:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412877&page=5&highlight=replacement+battery
    Post #112 is where the discussion on the X2-9 begins.

edit: Here it is on batteriesplus website:
    http://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...torcyle-and-ATV-Battery-DASH--DASH-X2--9.aspx

I called my local batteries plus store and he had it in stock ready to go (and was open til 7pm :thumb Local KTM dealer was already closed and want $145 for OEM)

re: Exhaust:
    They put mag chloride on the roads here in the winter.. my exhaust will never be the same :patch

re: BDCW bracket:
    The bracket puts the stand in the exact same location :thumb
    It basically eliminates the stock front two bolts that go INTO the engine case by using countersunk bolts that sit in the bracket instead. Then it beefs it up by going back to the center stand bolt so that there are two rear mounting points.

[​IMG]

Here's how the countersunk work instead of the original bolts through the case:
    (in the photo above you can see the two empty holes (the front ones below the shifter) that are no longer in use - i.e. the ones you want to eliminate so that smashing your side stand doesn't crack the case around those holes)

[​IMG]
  2. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn’t realise the BD plate fitted like that. I thought the plate just spread the load and side stand still bolted through to the case.
  3. Brown Dog

Brown Dog North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer:
    The Sidestand is ONLY bolted ON with ONE Bolt :ddog . . . The two front countersunk's are to the Alum brkt ONLY.
    The 'Climb up on the Bike' Guys may give that a workout :hide
  4. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys I was still editing my text... take a look at it again it should be clearer.

The side stand is bolted to the BDCW bracket with 3 bolts (like stock) but then the bracket is bolted to the bike with TWO bolts at the rear.

If you look at this photo its the two bolts around the BDCW logo
    [​IMG]
  5. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Into the case?
  6. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Does this photo help?

So with the stock stand it is bolted on to the two forward bolts (empty in the photo below) and the stud to the rear...

Now those two front bolts are eliminated (bolting it to countersunk bolts in the bracket instead) and then the bracket bolts on to that stud (which is a 180mm bolt that comes all the way through from the other side of the bike) AND then onto the rear most hole as well.

The little hole below is skidplate.

So there are five holes visible on the bike below (one has a stud in it):
    The front two are eliminated (the goal)
    The next one (with stud) is used, and the rear most hole is used
    The lowest hole is skidplate.

[​IMG]

and all back together (comparing to above):
    [​IMG]

Clear as mud? :D

:freaky
  7. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Re the BD Sidestand Mount, Kurt @ Blackdog has said he's had some BIG boys do the "get on the bike while still on the kickstand" thing and the bracket holds up fine. I've pivoted my 990S on it a few times with no problems. It's very strong.
  8. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It does not bolt to or into the case

9. mtb_man

mtb_man Unfettered

Oddometer:
    Today I finished the valves, put everything back together and went for a ride. :D

BTW, I can't see why people complain about the tanks being hard to reintall. Mine have been empty and off the bike for 6 weeks and they fitted straight back on. Might have helped that my garage hasn't got above 15 deg C for over a month...

Finally, I ordered a sweet new Ralle Moto steering damper that mounts to the stock clamps.
  10. DeeGee

DeeGee I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer:
    Good work Ed :thumb

Just run me through the side stand bracket again :D

Only kiddin' :lol3
  11. HOT DAMN!

HOT DAMN! ♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer:
    Need some fresh rubber for CADVR.

[​IMG]
  12. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Installed a Touratech skidplate and windscreen spoiler.

The spoiler work very good for me and the skidplate look of good quality. I bought both parts at a sale with 30% off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. twodollardoug

twodollardoug the calimesa kid

Oddometer:
    looks great. i have the same skid plate. i powder coated mine black. i think black would look real cool with your bike.
  14. EZ300

EZ300 Just wanna ride my motorsickle

Oddometer:
    Made another monthly payment...
  15. Martynho

Martynho No more Chilegringo.

Oddometer:
    Just clicked 20K miles pretty much problem free :D Getting her ready for a trip from UK to Germany, Austria and possibly Portugal in 10 days time, then Chile at the end of September. So had a full day in the shed:

Water pump shaft, seals and bearings
    Valve check, all but the rear exhausts in spec.
    Oberon clutch slave (in anodised Orange of course)
    X Vision LED lights mounted on crash bars. Welded tabs on to mount them and painted crash bars while they were off. Noticed a semi stripped thread on the battery box mounting, sorted that.
    Fitted heated grips, celebrated by riding home in the rain in motocross gloves
    Replaced power outlet for std car type outlet
    Fixed power outage to Zumo 550

One of those days when all goes well in the shed, with no real issues :clap

Cant wait for it to go dark now to set the lights and amaze myself how good they are over the shite stock headlight. Sat in the shed with a beer waiting...:freaky
  16. Martynho

Martynho No more Chilegringo.

Oddometer:
    :clap

17. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Black will probably look really cool on my bike but I do lot of off-road riding and the skidplate usualy get scratched very fast. So for me, I don't think it worth it to pay to get it black. The one on my R1200GS was really scratched all around after 50,000km.
  18. Brown Dog

Brown Dog North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer:
    No Sir. Natural Aluminum ROCKS :thumb
    Look at his rims :bow
  19. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    I've modded this seat extensively before mainly to add width and support on the sides but never did the final fitting.
    After 2k kms to southern ontario the other weekend I was able to sit still long enough to decide exactly what had to be done.
    The seat was still a little to forward angled and not quite dished enough for my a$$ bones.

out came the grinder to make some "ass holes"

[​IMG]

also you can see above i'm adding a raise section like a saddle in front of me.
    now with a little more shape to it

[​IMG]

a custom shaped instert installed made of a softer foam

[​IMG]

then a thin layer of smoothing foam installed for an even appearance with my 4 year old inspecting quality.

[​IMG]

Voila the finished product.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My discerning panel of judges (2 a$$ cheeks) will decide over the weekend how it is.

I thought it was feeling not bad and then took a ride with the improved ktm gel seat I have and wow does that gel seat ever suck hard. I can't believe they would sell something like that.
  20. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Nice work! :thumb