250cc or less photo thread?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by endurotour, Nov 1, 2006.

1. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  2. steve gs

steve gs Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am familiar with Lois's site. It's interesting about small bike riders. Many use these bikes as a transition to something bigger because of cost or size. Others seek maximum utility. For myself and having ridden for over 30 yrs I've had enough of the marketing hype and sought out the machines IMO that give me maximum self reliance (utility?) when on the road or at home in the shop.

Was almost stranded (twice) by my F650 GSD and took heed of those warnings. It was one of those leave it and walk out deals. In going to the DR200 I dropped almost 200lbs loaded and other than a wheel failure would be able to at least roll it out. Though the pace is slower on the way to, when in the backcountry I found that the pace was the same. So, why be burdened with an extra 200lbs and more complicated machinery.

It is important to separate backcountry overlanding from a backcountry blitz. One has to conduct themselves quite differently when the truck, trailer, or help is NOT nearby.

I have recently acquired a real clean low mileage DR350SE that I may use in the future as my daughter steps up to the 200. Really did not need the additional power, an extra 50 lbs, or loss of economy but did want the better chassis and 6spd transmission. The 6spd tranny gives this bike maximum flexibility. If only the DR200 had a 6th, you KLR250 riders are lucky. Just need to add a larger tank. Yeah, I know it is not a 250.

:beer

Attached Files:

3. a16tony

a16tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KLK250S :D

[​IMG]
  4. EvanMac

EvanMac EvanMac

Oddometer:
    I don't get it... My little MZ125 can cruise at 55-60 in 6th gear. What else do you need? NEED is the key word. The MZ is a full size bike with a small but powerfull motor. It handles well, it was cheap, and does great on the trails. I can hit 200 miles before I hit reserve and there are no vibrations to speak of. I've ridden it 1130 mile in 3.5 days and my hands were never numb. The motor is built like a tank... some people look at it and ask me if it is a 400 or something.:lol3 Most of the time when I tell them it is a 125 they just get this blank look on there face like... "Why?" We Americans are just hung up on power...

My next bike will most likely be the KLX250S. With an upgraded tank I think it will be the perfect true dual sport for me!:clap
  5. LusterBroil

LusterBroil Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Holy crap is that a nice looking bike :clap:clap :clap

6. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    An excelent bike:clap I'm sure you'll love it. My DR250SE looks just like that (same bike but with short stroke crank and smaller bore). The 6spd is quite nice - my 250 will happily cruse 65mph all day long with 15/42 gearing (+1 front from stock for the 250, should be stock on your bike). The economy should still be quite good. My 250 does 75mpg at 60-65mph.
  7. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in - KLX250S - another one. Mine is bored to 331cc though so technically I'm a little over. :D I just put a Keihin FCR carb on it now too and whoa it's a whole new experience:

[​IMG]
  8. steve gs

steve gs Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was hooked with the first test ride. This bike has a FMF Power Core IV (too noisy for me and where I ride; have the OEM piece out to Jesse for mods), the modded airbox, and a properly rejetted carb. Don't get me wrong the F650GSD is a fine bike and as much as I like the DR200 I wanted to reduce from the weight and complexity from the 650 and upgrade the 200 by finding a small 6spd air-cooled bike with an emphasis on a better chassis than both. There seem to be more 350's around than 250's and I happen to find this one. If it would have been a DR250SE I would have been just as happy.

EvanMac..... sure you get it. :freaky

How about an 07 Raid/Rally (late summer or fall?)

Suches, Georgia

or

Ontario, WI

or

Tail of the Dragon

or

tie in with one of the ADV Rider Rallies

or

Ride There:ricky

:beer
  9. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    too bad the meatheads at suzuki dont DS the drz250, oil cooled, 6 speed, E start, so its has a decent alternator. better suspension then a XR ( or a F650, KLR650 but then what doesnt), needs a less restrictive pipe or at least cleaning up by the exaust port. plus has a wider seat then most ,
  10. chain

chain All Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I have this bike for sale in the local trader, but this thread has caused me to rethink that. Nothing like getting out and covering the miles on a small cc bike.
    Think I'll take it for a ride today
    [​IMG]
  11. ElsinoreRider

ElsinoreRider Howdy Dammit!

Oddometer:
    Another KLX....
    KLX250.JPG
  12. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Banned

Oddometer:
    DR200SE, still stock and getting broken in. 90MPG and a 3.4 gallon tank ought to make for some crazy range.

Attached Files:

13. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    I had the trickes one around, a 125sm I did everything and some that wasn't available to. I loved it but without a bigbore and porting it was still alow on acceleration.

Attached Files:

14. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's Mrs. LEV last week at Red Pass above Titus Cyn in Death Valley:

[​IMG]
  15. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    MSR is available in PINK?
  16. workerant

workerant Spaß im Dreck

Oddometer:
    This is me on my XT225. On Avon Distanzias. :evil
  17. Pacifico

Pacifico Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What kind/size of knobbies does she have on that XT? Those tires look huge! Stock for that bike is 120/80 18.

18. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Banned

Oddometer:

That's not an XT, it's a TW200.
  19. Pacifico

Pacifico Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Righto - 180/80 14
  20. Machster50

Machster50 Gettin' there

Oddometer:
    cool idea for a thread, here's mine, tks:D