Laos, self guided, self FUNded

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gavo, Oct 29, 2012.

1. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    There were a few points of interest and some side tracks although there was nobody home
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We finally got to the damn wall
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and just over the ridge these guys were playing cards for cash
    [​IMG]
    then moved up around the damn, lotsa water great view
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Rumble

Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still looking with interest :D Thanks for sharing Gav :1drink
  3. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Riding to the end of the access road was a small village with boats for fishing and a resort perched on the hill
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We then rode backto the intersection near the damn wall to a restaurant by the river.
    I think he had a menu with prices for tourists as they seemed high but there were a few locals there earlier.
    The dutiful son cleaning table during midday break from school
    [​IMG]
    The rest of the ride back to Vientiane was same same except on the out skirts of town, some friendly girls:D
    [​IMG]
    When we arrived back in town the place was over run with diplomats and their staff all for some ASEAM meeting even Julia was there somewhere:lol3
    Also police / army everywhere
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and our hotel now housed Russian troops who I will say were not very chatty:lol3
  4. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Talking to one of the diplomatic staff staying at our hotel we were told there had been influx of around 5000 people for the conference and around $20 million spent on new vehicles to ferry them around. Seemed senseless in a country with so much poverty, not to mention airport closures, roads blocked off and restricted access to some areas.
    [​IMG]
    Our last full day in Laos and Vietiane was spent looking at temples , I wanted to get a t shirt and printed on the front
    " What Wat is What" :lol3 anyway
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We looked at headstones something my wife does (maybe it's because she's in the medical profession :lol3)
    But I did find them interesting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thats about it for Laos we flew out next morning for Cambodia were I had an appointment with Dancing roads
    for a 5 day off road through the Cardamom mountains, which will be written up shortly.
    As usual here is a vid of the days riding, Hope you enjoyed the ride report.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. bulty

bulty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report, did you use maps trip notes or gps
  6. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    I had a map I bought from GT rider but also GPS maps I got through Jim Barbush at Remote Asia, they were fantastic.:clap
  7. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    All photos gone after 13/12/17 thanks to photobucket last chance :lol3