East European Mapping

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Europe, Africa, & Middle East' started by mike keating, Oct 9, 2006.

1. mike keating

mike keating Irish

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before but i can't find anything about it.

Mapsource have released new mapping information on Eastern Europe:

http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/cartography/030806.html

I live in Budapest and travel mostly in Central and Eastern Europe. I would like to use this map. Does anyone know which GPS device I can use this map with. Preferable a GPS device suitable for a motorcycle.

Sorry again for the stupid question...

Regards,
    Mike
  2. aakoksal

aakoksal n00b

Oddometer:
  3. mike keating

mike keating Irish

Oddometer:
    Thanks Akin,

I actually found that after I wrote my last message. I don't think any of the compatible unit are well suited to motorcycle use. Perhaps I'll wait another few months and see what becomes available.

Kind regards,
    Mike
  4. JA Adv

JA Adv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I asked Garmin UK about CN East Europe, and they said it'll be coming out at the start of 2007 as version 9.
  5. AndreasL

AndreasL n00b

Oddometer:
    Some parts include in CN9NT but only Poland has a good covering. Parts of Czech are also good. Forget the rest :( Slovakia have some more major roads. Slovenia has less roads as in CN8nt (!) Only Highway and Ljubjana. The same to the rest of east countrys. Only major highways. You cant use it for autorouting. If you try it be prepared for very large redirections. Unuseable.

Without additional maps such as CroaGuide you cant use it in these countrys. It seems to take some more years for a better coverage of these countrys.
  6. rtwdoug

rtwdoug prominent underachiever Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just bought a 2610, and will get the euro mapping for it. Ive heard that it doesnt cover much of eastern europe tho, which sucks, because thats where I spend most of my time travelling. Especially in the balkans.
    Is there any add on type software for places not covered by garmin maps?
    Im real new to gps stuff, never used one before, so its all new to me. I get along good with maps, but in cities alot of the streets arent marked. maybe the gypsys stole all of the signs? :)

Doug
  7. KevinC

KevinC Looking for the hoard

Oddometer:
    You could take a look at the Wanderlust Maps (http://www.smellybiker.com), it's just £25 for lifetime membership and may have what you want though it is very much a work in progress. They don't do auto routing but as a rolling map they're pretty good, for instance:

Saint Petersburg with Garmin City Navigator V8

[​IMG]

same map area from Wanderlust v1.60

[​IMG]
  8. Dan98

Dan98 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the best East European mapping I recommend iGO/MioMap. TeleAtlas and local mapping companies have released excellent maps for this part of the EU. 100% coverage in most of them. PM me for details
  9. Srbenda

Srbenda Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer:
    I need maps for Serbia for my 2610. Is there any hope? Any ideas?

Here's Garmins solution. See the white spot missing? by Romania and Bulgaria and Italy? That's where I'm going. :bluduh

[​IMG]
  10. FLY

FLY Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. Dan98

Dan98 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The best maps for Eastern Europe are those for iGO and MioMap , almost 100% coverage in most of the countries. But you need a system to run Windows Mobile 5.0 for that...a PDA/PNA...
  12. robotwolf

robotwolf n00b

Oddometer:
  13. fajarsd

fajarsd n00b

Oddometer:
    thanks robotwolf, its helpful