Hyper Motard Check In

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by conlysm, Jun 11, 2010.

1. ktm950se

ktm950se Banned

Oddometer:
    Greetings,
    Great looking bike, What's the HP?

ktm950se
  2. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I demoed the hypers and really liked them. One had a DP seat I think and was very comfortable. The other (non S model) had a different seat and was quite uncomfortable (and I ride dirt bikes and sport bikes so wasn't looking for a lazy-boy). Its a bike I'd love to own, especially if someone comes out with a good fuel tank/airbox solution.
  3. iyaoyas98

iyaoyas98 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not supposed to get a new bike. Just picked up a Superhawk a month ago.

I sat on a HM "s" yesterday, and can't shake the feeling. Everything was right where it was supposed to be, and I know what 73lbs of torque feels like.....

Looks like another summer without getting a pool. :D
  4. conlysm

conlysm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the DP comfort seat and have no problems riding all day. I find that by the time I need to take a break and stretch is about the same time I need to stop for fuel. The HM is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned.
  5. GMP

GMP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1. So far 400 mile days of all backroads no problem. GPS to find gas and a couple 2L emergency cans in a tail bag (never used) and its fine for any east coast sport touring.
  6. conlysm

conlysm Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    new arrival.....but not new to the HYM :)....less than 24hrs old
    [​IMG]
  8. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Welcome, noob. Now bring me a beer. I'll take one from Costa Rica.
  9. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had it for a month or so now and I have to say it's one of the more fun bikes I've owned. My 950 has been beaten to death and leaks oil like a BP well so it's been retired until I can do a full rebuild. I was very lucky to get the Hyper in time for summer. I'm no fan of Terblahhhhh but this was his best bike - perhaps his only good one.

I think the Hyper is one of the "truest" bikes out there in terms of being perfectly suited for the task at hand - just like the 950. The bike is light, super nimble and just begs to be flogged. The aircooled engine is perfect in terms of aesthetics, simplicity, and weight. Lot's of people complain that it runs out of steam after 126mph but honestly this is where modern sportbikes fail - they're designed for a world of ultra high speed. The Hyper is just untouchable under 100mph and on a tight backroad it feels as if you've been shot out of a canon and are riding the canon ball. I like that.

Did a track day recently with CLASS at VIR and while I got waxed between turn 17 and turn one I had no problem from turns 1-17. Deals Gap the following day was too fun and once again, for the riding I do, this bike gave more grins than anything else. She's a little down on power to my 950 but that is very easy to fix with an aftermarket swimming in options.

[​IMG]

I'm doing a build on this bike now and while I don't plan on changing it too much I do intend to make it a little different. I'll post a photo when I'm done.

Gregor
  10. conlysm

conlysm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    couldn't have said it better
  11. apessino

apessino Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear this voice in my head, it says "Ducati Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP, with Termignoni can!"

It is driving me crazy - the only thing that can make it go away is to buy one.

I am going for a test ride tomorrow morning. :D
  12. Canis Pugnax

Canis Pugnax Unnecessarily Mercenary

Oddometer:
    And you'll be back on here tomorrow night with pictures of your new HM.:clap
  13. apessino

apessino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not tomorrow, but within a few weeks... :deal
  14. HyperPete

HyperPete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had mine now for 2 years, never fails to please!!

[​IMG]

:D :D
    update 09 april 2011
    since then I've traded the 1100 for a new 796, same pleasure plus more, better seat, much better economy, so much lighter only just the exhaust is similar but too quiet.. think new pipes are due...
    [​IMG]
    :D
  15. wrecked'em

wrecked'em satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer:
    yeah i got the fever too.
    if buying used what should i look for.
    any problem areas?
    id really love a black s model with pipes ,tank and seat.
  16. sakurama

Oddometer:
    It's a great time to buy them used as the value has really tanked. You can find them for $7000-10000 depending on what's been done. A nicely pimped out S with exhaust and misc accessories should be in the $9-10K range. Certainly look for the bike that has it's intake and exhaust done - those are real bottlenecks and the full Termi race 2-1 is $2500!?!

Issues aren't too many. There was a shifting issue on some bikes so make sure it shifts well. Look for bling which really doesn't help the value but which you'll certainly end up putting on.

Gregor
  17. BLINKER 152

BLINKER 152 mudlover

Oddometer:
    i love my hyper. its an amazing ride for sure. nothing better in the twisties. finding i dont have enough time to ride her much though.:cry so i think i'm going to put her up 4 sale so somebody else can put some proper time on this machine. if anybodys seriously looking(lusting) for one pm me... im into cuttin a good deal for an easy sale :deal ... still building up the nerve to actually put her on flea market and craigs list. i know im gonna miss it:puke1 but the katooms keep me busy enough.:lol3

[​IMG]
  18. Pork Butt

Pork Butt Save the USA

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a new 09 1100 Friday ...... White BTW ...... I just ran my second tank of fuel while doing the run in and I am over 100 miles and still no low fuel light..

What kind of mileage are you guys getting with stock pipes?

What's left when low fuel light comes on?

Run in keeping under 6k RPMs

PB
  19. sakurama

Oddometer:
    You've done well to get 100 miles, expect the light any minute. If you're gentle you might squeeze 45-50mpg out of it but it's hard to ride this bike that way. If you're not you should sign up for the midsize tank on the Ducati.ms Hyper forum - 5 gallons but allows room for performance intakes.

G
  20. Pork Butt

Pork Butt Save the USA

Oddometer:

At 3.3 gal that would give a max 150 mile +- range...... After mods my SV 650 got 125 mile to a tank which is a nice sport touring range .... Not VFR range but a good hydration range for the rider too.

I just can't find in print how many gallons are left when the light comes on???

I am going to do my best not to have to mod this bike other than luggage for weekend trips.

PB