Enjoying the Moment...My Take on Riding Nor Cal

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Desert Dave, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, glad the photos are a ride inspiration

Yes, the gold country tnis great this time of year. I think as soon as you get there the warm house will seem overrated :deal

I was wondering if anyone would "get" that photo :lol3 You should've seen the looks people were giving me when it was obvious my camera was focusing on this silly bird instead of the surroundings.
  2. dman

dman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dave, I think I've read a few of your posts in the past (bear cubs near Hetch Hetchy?) but somehow missed this thread all year. I've ridden many of these roads but rarely stop for many pictures, and then just snapshots. You're inspiring me to slow down a bit .... though I always try to get a shot at Ellery Lake, even if just "for the record". I have some pictures there of my bikes in the early '80's, but the ride I'll never forget, perhaps like you, was going over Tioga last January. I planned just to ride up 120 a bit, perhaps just to Olmsted, but this is so nice I'll continue and turn around at Tenaya, what the heck let's go to the summit, then I tried to get up to Saddlebag but there was too much snow. In the end, that day I rode from Santa Cruz to Bodie, and back on Sonora Pass, just days before the passes closed. Probably never again will that be possible in January. Thanks for sharing with us!

-dman
  3. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    Seems most of the year round Sierra riders I've met took advantage of last years unique winter, and those that didn't are kicking themselves :lol3 Glad you got in on it!

Yeah the bear cub :lol3, buried somewhere in the Strom picture thread. The day I went out specifically looking for bear and couldn't find any and this one found me

[​IMG]

I love those spontaneous photos. Yesterday a small bobcat crossed the road right in front of me, usually I know there is no way I'll have time to get my photo gear out so I just enjoy the moment, but this time I was able to watch the little guy run to a tree and climb the backside. (by the time this story gets to a campfire it will be "I treed a ferocious Bobcat and then pursued on foot" :D) Took me a few minutes of searching until I saw him staring me down from inside a hollow part of the tree, never would show me much more than his eyes, and we played a little game where he would duck down, I'd wait a few minutes and then rustle some leaves and he couldn't help but peek up to see what I was doing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Spent probably an hour stopped at a point of the road I usually just whiz by (or maybe stop for a whiz) and saw familiar sights from a different perspective. Neat.

While I was there heard some bikes coming and took a couple impromptu riders on dualsports shots. Caught up with these riders a bit later, real nice folks, who claimed to be long time lurkers around here, so here's their contribution to the site :deal

[​IMG]

Look at that smile! Not sure if it's the wonderful winter riding or the goofy guy on the side of the road taking the photo.

[​IMG]

Everyone out doin their thing, love it!
    Mediocre Man, Phipsd and John2453 like this.
  4. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
  5. jbcaddy

jbcaddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oroville & Placerville, California U.S.of A.
    Wow! the word awesome is rather overused, however, I think it applies to your Bobcat photos. I have seen several, but never that close!
    John2453 likes this.
  6. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    As always, Dave...:eek1

:bow
  7. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    Nice shots, Dave!

Great thread. :thumb
  8. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    Thanks man, and that is the closest I've ever been to one. Certainly never had that much time to enjoy observing such a cool animal. A couple of times I did think "What if this guy decided to jump on my head right now" :lol3 He didn't... we had an understanding.

:thumb

Been awhile Stu, glad to see ya around here :freaky
  9. Don in Lodi

Don in Lodi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've made lunch runs to Bridgeport before, never thought of Bodie as a day ride though. Have you got any shots from the Twin Lakes west of Bridgeport? I didn't wake up early enough for a sunrise shot, but I can sure picture one in my mind. Stunning geography back there.
    I think your Tenere and mine would get along famously. I'll be on the lookout for a fast Raven when I'm out and about.

PS: My dad used to compete in photography, fun hobby that can make you some money on the side. You've got it too.
  10. Desert Dave

Oddometer:

If you're doing a lunch run to Bridgeport, I'd say Bodie is not much more...it'll just be a little darker coming home :D

I don't believe I have anything from Twin Lakes, but this is good, just the excuse I needed to spend some quality time there.

It wouldn't bother me to make a few bucks on a photo, but for now it's all passion. It's strangely rewarding to give someone a photo of them-self riding in a postcard, or to read the comments here that a photo inspired someone. I guess all that crap about giving is better than receiving might have a little truth in it somewhere :lol3 Or maybe I've been drinking.
  11. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Like riding my bike on a long trip... this site always puts a smile on my face. Seems like it's always too long in between my checking in here. And afterwards I'm again left for wanting ...

Thanks once more.
  12. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just beautiful!
  13. T3Mike

T3Mike Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey DD

Really enjoying this thread. In your first post the guy coming down Mt Hamilton in the snow on his Triumph is my friend Mike. It's a great pic and I sent it to him. I started reading your thread because I live in NorCal and I have been researching the Wee for a stablemate for my Bonnie. Then I find you bought one and live in the same town. Small world. Do you still have the Wee ?
    Keep up the good work.
  14. Desert Dave

Oddometer:

That's awesome! I love that photo, probably my favorite rider photo I've taken and am glad he got to see it. Does he remember that ride?

Yeah it is a small world, and I love the tight knit rider community. We could get together and compare notes. My strom is actually the 1000, but I like both versions, and yes I still have it. I was getting ready to sell it and actually took her out for a short spin to get a few photos for the flea market, and I was having so much fun I had to remember to stop for the photo I went to take. Then as I was looking at the late day light on her, all cleaned up and shiny it occurred to me that I don't HAVE to sell it. The spark was rekindled, for awhile anyway.

This was the second chance photo that never made it to the classifieds :deal

[​IMG]
  15. T3Mike

T3Mike Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes he does remember the ride and he remembers you taking the pic. He was stoked.
    Thats a nice bike you have. I am looking at the Wee to start a little dirt\ fireroad riding up in the Sierras. Been browsing CL for months for a deal on a used one. A guy up North just pinged me on a 05 with low miles. Hope to check it out this weekend.
    There is a group of NorCal Bonnie riders that throw a ride every month locally. There is one next Sat either going to Pope Valley or Mt Tam \ Pt Reyes. Good bunch of diverse guys who have been doing this for years. We would be happy to have you along .PM if you like.
    There is a guy in our group that started taking photos of our rides and now he is doing this...

http://ishootfromthehip.com/
  16. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    Spent the day riding my old stomping grounds in the coastal hills around Alices restaurant and HWY 9. These are the places that I learned how to ride, often cutting class back in high school because the call of the curvy roads I just couldn't resist. Took a friend out there who wasn't familiar with more than the main highways and had to show him my favorite secondary roads (Kings Mountain, Zayante Creek, China Grade etc). Reminds me of why I should get out there more often and this is the right time of year, not for dragging your knees but experiencing these places with little traffic compared to the carnival it usually is. A bit chilly in the morning keeps the sneaker wearing crowd away.
    And ride we did. Always fun to share something close to me with somebody else. Riding with others does not usually mix well with my photography, but that's o.k. as it was a ride day, not a photo trip. After a number of fun circuits through the redwoods we ended the day at Alices for a late day burger. After the meal my riding bud started to talk of heading straight home, I told him he was nuts, we still had 45 minutes of light and at least that much more of twilight and he NEEDED to experience Tunitas Creek as it's one of my favorites up there, and if he didn't go I'd tell everybody he was a sissy. That worked. Figured we'd head down to the coast and back up Tunitas to get over the hill towards home.
    Well, plans change. As we approached the coast the sun was so low over the water and the sea was strangely calm with some big breakers at the same time. I had my photo gear in the Jessies and I just couldn't resist. Sorry Dude, we're stoppin and it might be awhile :deal I think he did find it amusing to watch me frantically ride up and down the same stretch of Highway 1 looking for my spot , as I was running out of time. I did find a spot, not sure it was the "one" but hey, it's the CA coast at sunset and it's not fogged in, so it can't really suck. Oh yeah, AND it's the middle of winter and kind of warm by the water. How can you not stop.

It's not like we were the only ones out there.

[​IMG]

Timing the shot with the waves just right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soon the sun was gone and others had left. My friend asked if I "got my shot", I said I think so, but now is when the real magic happens, after dark .

[​IMG]

That was probably enough for him, and he left for home leaving me by myself as the cars were long gone now. Another peaceful time watching the stars slowly coming out in the east , listening to the breakers as the last bit of color remained in the sky. Noticing small details usually missed. When I glanced at my helmet resting on my mirror I couldn't help but think it was a perfect representation of myself reflecting on the days ride.

[​IMG]

Since I had the tripod out, figured it was time for a self portrait to remember the day. A memory of enjoying the moment.

[​IMG]
  17. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    Too funny, Dave. We almost had to pass each other. I watched the sun go down at Pescadero and am still kicking myself for not having the camera. As the sun went down, watching the waves crash there is amazing.

Days like this at sundown at the coast are somewhat rare as you know.

I took Stage on up and then Tunitas all the way up and over to 84 and then just the Dumbo and Niles Canyon on home.

I've always loved Tunitas in the dark. Yes I know I'm nuts.
  18. Distant thunder

Distant thunder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I caved to the peer pressure and continued on with Dave. I knew once we hit the coast his quest for that perfect shot of the sunset would kick in. I truly feel blessed to watch Dave do something he is so passionate about. Like most, I am having such a good time riding I fail to take the time to stop to take that picture. How many times have we all seen something spectacular at speed and just store it in our memory bank. I now find myself saying " Dave would stop for the photo op" and I have in fact turned around to take the shot. Once the sun set and it turned dark, I told Dave I was heading for home. He laughed and said, " this is when the magic happens." I thought to myself what could he take pictures of in the Dark.. Then I saw the self portrait. Dave you are a magician, thank you for allowing me to enjoy the moment...
  19. dman

dman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sitting in a hotel room in China ... thanks DD for taking me back home for a bit. Of course, when I do get back next week it will probably be raining again. BTW watching Chinese scooter riders negotiate wet and icy roads makes me feel like a wimp when I slow down for those shaded curves on Tunitas or Empire Grade.

-dman
  20. Desert Dave

Oddometer:

The only part of this post that is wrong is that you didn't have your camera :D We must've been close by, those shots were taken between San Gregorio and Pescadero, and I hung out until a bit after 7.

Tunitas in the dark reminds me more of offroading, and I mean that in a good way. If you weren't a little nuts think of all the fun you'd miss.

I went back up to Alices myself for a night photo but the conditions weren't what I had in my head.

You just didn't want me calling you a sissy later :D

Seriously, glad you had a chance to see the "other" side of my rides, it was fun.

Always cool to know this stuff is being read on the other side of the world, glad you're enjoying it. Seems to me you should rent one of those scooters , take your camera and and post a ride report that most of us will never do! :D I mean, you're already there right?