950 Super Enduro + Wheels

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by The Big Bear, Jan 30, 2008.

1. The Big Bear

The Big Bear THE BIG BEAR

Oddometer:
    I have done a search and found Woody's Wheels; They were extremely helpful about the cost for a set of Custom Wheels from them for my 950 SE but my question is this.

Why will a Super Motard set All 100% KTM Hard Parts, I have the front and rear :Note here (cush hub) 17 inch rims, This setup fits all 04-07 450/525's (26mm axle). May fit other models, not sure. 310MM full floating rotor, new Brembo master cylinder with lever, Berringer 4pot caliper, SM fender and a SS braided line for the front brake setup. Not work on my Super Enduro???

I am new to the KTM line and I am also a newbie here but I hope someone could help me out here why they will not swap. I found where someone showed alot of the parts that can be swapped from the SE and ADV but nothing about the Super Motard Wheels.

I can get them for a good price new in box.
  2. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    That kit is for the "offroad" models. The dirtbikes. 450/525/300/250sxf etc.... I know the rear hub is different and the swingarms are different on the "little" bikes from the ADV/SE/SM.

However, the front axle cross ref's to the 06+ (actually 04+ 26mm dia.) axle.
    But the front hub and brake rotor do not. Hub is SE only and the rotor is same as ADV and SE. Caliper mount is SE and 990ADV/690rallye only.

Basically, it's for the RFS/SX bikes only. And the parts on the SE won't fit.
    You're better off looking for 950SM parts.

All info above is from "SHOP ONLINE" over @ MunnRacing.com
  3. The Big Bear

Oddometer:
    This is what I love about this site,

thanks Cody answers were what I was looking for.
  4. overlander

overlander Gravel Travel Tours Supporter

Oddometer:
    Truth is that certain combinations WILL work! I decided that I needed an extra front and rear wheel for my 950 Adventure. After investigating all of different axle sizes, wheel bearing sizes, and spacer combinations i came up with some alternatives to spending big bucks that I did not have. I found out that the wheel bearings are the same for the 950 as they are for the 01 and forward RFS. This meant that some combination of spacer would work. Long story short; I knocked the factory spacers out of a spare wheel off of an 04 RFS EXC purchased from a local racer, bought a new axle spacer for the 950, turned 6mm off of the spacer on the seal side and ended up with a single disc dirt wheel for my Adventure. Tapping in the original spacers and it's ready for the RFS again! I'll bet dinner that the same can be done with the 'tard wheels depending on what axle size you find. The truth is out there...:wink:
    Ferd likes this.
  5. The Big Bear

Oddometer:
    I was looking for the easy way out,

I guess what I need to do is actually go down to the dealer and start measuring things to see if I can switch them. Like you said I have seen parts that measure out and look exactly the same but actually have different parts numbers from the OEM's???? Like the OEM's want the extra money because it is a "Special" bike.

Thanks for the heads up I was looking and hoping someone had done a swap or done the research like you did.

It is also the money issue 2500.00 is alot of money for a "Extra" set of wheels.

thanks
  6. CodyY

Oddometer:
    Not 01+.

Here's the skinny on KTM (dirt) front wheels.
    93-99 are conventional forks, 17mm axle
    00-03 (03 SX excluded) 43mm WP, 22mm axle
    04-08 (03 SX included) 48mm WP, 26mm axle

93-08 Rear wheels are all interchangeable on the 125-525 bikes

I feel sure with a little checking around, and some machine work, it can be done. Just depends on how spry you're feeling.

Good luck
  7. overlander

overlander Gravel Travel Tours Supporter

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected! It appears that I overlooked the fact that I retrofitted an '04 front fork to my '01 520 and therefore confused myself. :huh That's what I get for merging too many different years of bikes. Sorry for the error.
  8. The Big Bear

Oddometer:
    Okay guys correct me if I am wrong,

If the axle diameter is the same size then it should just be a job of finding the correct size spacers or having them made to match up?

If the hub is still a Cush Hub but the Hub size is slightly different but axle diameter is same then it is an alignment issue?

Then for the Front it needs a Brake relocator or am I making it much to simple???

This what is done for carbon fiber wheels, they just make an adapter if my memory serve me correctly.
  9. docgonzo

docgonzo Great Old Turtle

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    BigBear, if what you want is a streetable SE, just get an extra stock or Woodies front rim, and keep an street tire on it. Keep a knobbie on the original rim. Then you can swap from dirt to street in about 40 seconds. No spacers to fit, no brakes to change. Here's my system:

[​IMG]

That's a Karoo (T) original dual sport tire on the extra. With this tire up front, and a Dunlop 908RR on the rear, it can keep up with any sport bike on the street, including my buddy's 950 SM. That is, sane speeds. If you want to race around the streets at triple digit speeds, then the front brake is inadequate. For that kinda work, I have this:
    [​IMG]

With this:
    [​IMG]

The wheels for my 520 motard conversion do not just swap out with the SE. The "Braking" front brake would fit the SE, but I don't bother. I like the 40 second switch capability from street to dirt.

By the way, this is the tire I keep on the extra rim for dirt:

[​IMG]

It's a $40 IRC motocross tire. Works great in the dirt, deep sand, and mud. And I believe that it is DOT for the street, but who cares anyway. It's a dirt tire!
  10. Pom

Pom Old fart on big bike

Oddometer:
    The Back of Beyond, SW Queensland, Australia
    Just to go the other way, I have recently gone the Woodys option - the wheels are a work of art, the service is exceptional and the flexiblity of two seperate sets of wheels is great.
    Pom
  11. CodyY

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify, have you tried it? I don't have "hands-on" access to a SE, but the offset in the caliper and the rotor line up?

Plus, what are the differences in the rear hubs on the big bikes and the BIG bikes? Pn#'s are different, that's all i know.
  12. The Big Bear

Oddometer:
    That is what I am wondering why can't I just have some custom spacers made and swap the 520 or newer style motard wheels. This is the performance and look I want. Like in your photo of your 520 docgonzo.

I get the point that the Cush Hubs are different part numbers from the big bikes to the BIG BIKES but has anyone out there actually compared them side by side?

Will a older LC4 Cush hub work on the SE?

Also I tried to search again for a person who posted about how certain parts would swap with the SE but I can't find it anyone out there remember the link?

I am currently running a Avon on the 21 (limited selection of tread)

I want what is in the picture but I don't have actual access to a Super Motard for the mockup.

I understand why the other BIG BIKES don't work with the twin calipers but I have swapped Harley wheels before that had twin disc setups to single setups I just filled the holes on the opposite disc side with bolts.
  13. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    if there is anyone around ATL with a SE I'd be glad to try to fit some different options. i've got a 17" SM as well as 18" (OE and excel pro series) and 19" (excel pro series) rear wheels for EXC/XC models, and a 20" and 21" front for late models (03+) that I use on my 07 450XC. I also have spare 320mm braking wave rotors, oversize caliper relocator, and OE size rotors to test fit. I also have a variety of tires that would could fit up to measure as well (supermoto and dirt).

pm me if you are around and want to give it a shot..

Jeff
  14. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just went out and bought a couple of hubs, and had them laced up to nothing special silver rims (amigo) and stainless spokes. I transfer the disks and cush drive between wheels. These are my dirt wheels 185 X 21, 350, X 18.

You can save a lot of money doing it this way:lol3

When my current Scorpion tires ware out I will get rid of the crappy rims and rusty spokes and put 19 and 17in rims on.

This is my front brake set up which does marry perfectly with your SE master cylinder which is what I use.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271702

[​IMG][/IMG]
  15. The Big Bear

Oddometer:
    SpeedyR I just moved from Ellijay Ga a few years back to Carlsbad Ca. I wold have been to your house in a hour. I still have my house in Ellijay. Great riding area. I had 16 miles of single track trails my father and I maintained and we used to train on it for Enduros and Hare Scrambles with SETRA. I hope someone in your area steps up.

I think it can be done just a matter of figuring out the dimensions.

Rory do you know if the LCR wheel Cush Hub is the same as the Adventure SE Hub or did you buy a specific Adventure Part number Cush Hub.

I did a search on and the KTM parts numbers are different.
  16. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know what a LCR is mate. To save money I didn't buy an extra cush hub. I just transfer the hub from wheel to wheel. There is the sprocket to consider also, its size, and if you change it, the chain length. It would be a bummer to have to adjust the chain, or worse, change it,:eek1 every time you change wheels.
  17. KrustyKustom

KrustyKustom Lets Go....

Oddometer:
    Hey K2M, what kinda gas tank is that you have on the back of your bike? Looks like you have your bike set up for spending some time in the saddle.
  18. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    There home made fiberglass, Carbon /Kevlar. I had to make an exhaust also so I copy-ed the Africa Queens set up..... A facsimile:D

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
  19. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    The rear hub on the 950's is way wider than the hub on the RFS and LC4 bikes. The axle diameter may be the same, but the sprocket and brake disk are way farther apart on the 950. Getting the sprocket and brake disk alignment right with a thumper hub, while still having the wheel centered, would require a set of custom-machined sprocket and brake disc spacers that would make Rube Goldberg blush. Not to mention that sprocket and brake disc spacers of any size are a bad idea anyway.

But, a front SM wheel for a 26m axle should fit with the right spacers.
  20. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    FWIW,

I don't agree that the disc spacers are a bad idea. I and others here have used them with great success on front wheel discs and a rear disc has very little load by comparison. You may be right, however, about the sprocket spacer. I have never used one and the shear load values would seem to be very high.