Spanking the Cow- The continuing saga of an R100GSPD at the Races

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Stagehand, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:

Open to suggestion. :rofl Perhaps "weasels ripped my flesh" would be appropriate.

Speaking of Frank Zappa, the hold music at MAXBMW was Frank Zappa's watch out where the huskies go. I told them to put me back on hold.

Oh man i think I found it.
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W5m_CdCzKYY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love richard cheese. those guys are so fucked up.
  2. datchew

datchew Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer:
    heck ya. It takes me 3-5 days to get back to updating my thread because i'm doing nothing but cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. Even with our really mild South Kakalaka winter, my hands are chapped and cracked and my fingertips are like leather.
  3. Stagehand

Oddometer:

Dat here is my vorn for you :D

[​IMG]

ah, the dichotomy of life.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having Dan Edg and Andrew both there was like having a devil and and angel on either shoulder. One: "Clean it." The other: "Screw that" :lol2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
  5. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    Having Dan Edg and Andrew both there was like having a devil and and angel on either shoulder. One: "Clean it." The other: "Screw that"

I just didn't like you running around in a pair of latex examination gloves...
    ...made me...nervous:huh
  6. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    I might have missed this but why did you need new jugs and pistons?? Since you didn't punch it out. Mine had 100,000 miles and the cylinders and pistons were good, just needed rings. New circlips too:D.

Compression was low, but cylinders still had the cross hatching.
  7. CordR

CordR Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

I have not checked on a damper yet but I'm sure there's something that fits.

Looking forward to seeing how the Siebenrock rocks.

Keep us posted.

C
  8. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    This is an excellent question. Bike now has about 105K or thereabouts. The bottom end was reset 15K ago, the same time that the heads were reconditioned. Due to the way the universe works, I ended up putting one original piston and cylinder back in, and one of a completely unknown lineage, other than it had no more hundred thousandths to spare.

So when would be an appropriate time to finish that project and move up to 9.5 pistons? At the time of the rebuild, it was just a matter of getting it rolling. It basically just took this long for me to get around to it. No more sense riding around on lungs in the twilight of their years. It is a "racing commuter" after all :lol3 Now that the valves were re-squared away, I now have a bike hopefully ready for the next 100K miles.
  9. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, Stage.

Have you got any more pics of those piston crowns?

:ear
  10. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Thats it I think, I didnt get any profile shots of them. The valve recesses are pretty deep, I guess they get the extra compression from moving the piston face up higher in the cylinder?
  11. danedg

Oddometer:
  12. Lornce

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That answers my question.

In that first pic above (the one I quoted) I mistook the cylinder wall for a squish band on the piston periphery.

Just wishful thinking on my part.

:cry

I'm in a conundrum at the moment trying to help a friend put a nice motor together and we can't find any decent '77 spec S or RS pistons anywhere.

We're either going to experiment with machining a flat periphery into a set of domed 9.5 pistons to suit a set of squishband heads. Or machine an angle into the squish shelf of a set of squishband heads to suit the domed 9.5 piston.

:dunno
  13. danedg

Oddometer:
    J, It takes FIVE quarters to make the pressure washer work...:rofl
  14. datchew

datchew Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer:
    Awesome.

I'll have some VORN again soon in my /2 thread. I hope to have slugs and jugs this coming week. Waiting on the resurfaced lifters to show up. :1drink
  15. danedg

Oddometer:
  16. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-XRL0djYHD4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  17. mykill

mykill odd

Oddometer:
    Now that you have altered it... Let the obsessive jetting games begin!
    If you are like me, you will question every burp, fart, stumble or hesitation and think Needle up? needle down? main? air screw? idle jet? carb balance? Could it be better? Am I missing something? What about that cursed carb circuit overlap?
    Boxer OCD!
  18. Lornce

Oddometer:
    :baldy

:augie
  19. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...FKN 'AYE I support my bru's...my ol' belly gonna look good in this...
    U KNOW?! :norton

[​IMG]
  20. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    I did get it off choke in about 45 seconds. I rode it around the yard to see if it would break right away :D All in all it got almost a half mile on it in little more time than the video shows.

Leaving for Africa today, had no real time to get it bedded in. Just enough time to insure that it works... When I get back it will get the full treatment. Needs a carb sync pretty fiercely.

Also needs a final drive overhaul. I can only assume its the great big bearing on the back that is very very tired, but being that everything else on this thing is worked over the coals, I bet it'll have to see the tapered needles behind the big one, too.