Radioman Rides the World.......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Radioman, May 19, 2011.

1. csustewy

csustewy Motojero

Oddometer:
    Hey Mark -

It was fantastic touring Bolivia with you! We look forward to following your progress further south, as we´ll be just a few weeks behind you. And shoot, maybe we´ll run into you again down the road somwhere...

All our best,
    Mike & Jill

2. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    Excellent, absolutely Excellent. I loved the Kitty and sunset shot. Way to go.
  3. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:
    WOW....what an awesome Ride Report!!! :clap

as for the salt flats photos....must be something that we all have to do sometime!!

(my son's bike out on the Bonneville Salt)...

[​IMG]

Be careful out there, and have a great trip.

GodSpeed!! :norton
  4. capeklr

capeklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What an awesome update. I think just about every photo in that last post belongs on the front page. :clap
  5. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer:
    ADV pose... :clap:clap:clap

[​IMG]
  6. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer:
    Love the photos Mark... :clap

It reminds me of my trip with HB to the Salt flats here in the US...

[​IMG]
  7. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing. Been on Bonneville salt flats myself. The only thing I can say is that the Salar is huge! Crazy riding for 60 miles in any direction.
  8. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer:
    I bet...It does look huge...:eek1
    We stumbled on it during Speed week to boot.. We had a blast ...

Just as you are having a blast!!! Keep it up..
  9. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Stayed at the Koala Den in Potosi. The bike parking was a bit fun if I can get the video uploaded!

[​IMG]

After a great 10 days riding through Bolivia together, we would be heading our separate ways. Mike and Jill would be riding to Sucre with me, then heading to Cochabamba where they will be spending a month at a NGO. It is always interesting to me as a solo traveler how you meet people and quickly connect while riding together. Then you our off on your own again.

It is always with a mix of sadness the time together is over, and also a bit of trepidation on being on your own again. The little things on the road while finding places to stay are easier while traveling with others. Someone to talk it over with, watch bikes while you check the hostel or just figuring out where you need to go. Just a few thoughts from the road.

That Said. I really appreciated traveling with Mike and Jill in Bolivia. Certainly made my ride better in many ways!!

As we headed out of Potosi it was a normal crazy city exit, as nothing is signed..... but we made it out of town heading toward Sucre. Nice peaceful ride. With some good roads.

[​IMG]

Sucre is at around 9,000 feet so we worked our way through the mountains and valleys to get there. just a couple hour ride!

[​IMG]

Just another note. I had read about issues getting gas in Bolivia and we were turned down a couple times, but it seems that at these stations somehow we always were able to get gas. Not sure if they are Nationally run stations or ?

[​IMG]

When we reached the outskirts of Sucre, we stopped to fill up gas.... And say our goodbye! Adois Amigos!

[​IMG]

Jill was stocking up on water and snacks!

[​IMG]

I ride into the whitewashed Colonial town of Sucre. Everyone I talked to like this town.

[​IMG]

Found the great little Hostel my buddy Hector recommended. Great place to hang out for some days!

S19 02.561 W65 15.359 there are a few one way streets you need to navigate.

[​IMG]

But I got to ride right up to my room in the nice courtyard.

[​IMG]

Have hung out here for 3 days! Relaxed and rested up. Met some other great travelers from all over the world. Somehow I did not get photos though :cry We hung out, eat some meals together and shared our travel stories!! These are times that really make travel fun!! :clap :clap

:wave to Jeremy and Avi (france) :wave Jamie (New Zealand) :wave Ian :wave Matu & manu (switzerland)

It is a fun place to walk around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it is a city of 200,000 but the core town is upscale compared to the rest of Bolivia. Was the Capital of Bolivia before it moved to La Paz.

[​IMG]

Lots of little squares and churches to see.

[​IMG]

Made some new traveling friends here in Sucre..... and also ran into Buddy who I met in Ecuador ..... Seems like a small world as you head south and run into other travelers!

[​IMG]

My time in Bolivia is winding down as I will be riding south toward Argentina. Will take a couple days to get to a new country. Even with lots of time..... You must keep moving as I have to be in Ushuaia the second week of December.....

Off I go!
  10. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    Great updates as always, Mark.

I think about you & your adventure a lot. Ride safe, buddy. :ricky
  11. fbritt5

fbritt5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your wonderful report. Its just great to see all that pretty and rugged country and to hear of your exploits and experiences. Thanks for sharing. Keep safe.

Frank
  12. porkandcorn

porkandcorn FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer:
    hey mark,

thanks for the detail in your trip report, especially about hostels w/ bike parking, good restaurants, etc. i'm taking notes here in portland, oregon. about to start my 4-month south america adventure on jan. 5 in santiago. putting the triumph into a shipping container on the 24th of this month, then spending december on final trip prep. i have a feeling we are going to cross paths somewhere down there.

ride safe and see you soon.
  13. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    :lurk

I couldn't find one for :cocoleaves :dunno

:lol3
  14. Redhed

Redhed Lost on the Island

Oddometer:
    Mark Thanks for the addresses and locations of hotels and accommodations. I am heading into Panama tomorrow, and planning on flying Blondy across the Gap. Great report, as usual..
    :clap
  15. mint julep

mint julep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR!
    Super pics Radioman! :clap

I'm hooked, ride safe brotha.:freaky

Cheers.
    Dave
  16. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :wave Roger Thx!!
  17. Radioman

Oddometer:
    I will be in Ushuaia Dec 22-Jan 4th. Rented a house with a few other motorcycle riders!! :deal
  18. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :wave Howdy Nicky!!
  19. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    bet you were glad to get off that road heading south from Uyuni and kissed the pavement as soon as you saw it :jack
  20. Radioman

Oddometer:
    It was a rough Washboard for 100 Miles :huh but was great to arrive and see the Salar!! Worth it!