Cat Herders: Shenandoah Valley Inmates

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by HBN, Nov 3, 2008.

1. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Say hi to advridgerunner for me.
  2. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Already tentatively committed to go for a ride with peacerider tomorrow afternoon but in case that doesn't materialize, I'd love to go for a ride/hike in the afternoon. :thumb
  3. mica

mica Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HBN, I'll be riding tomorrow but won't be getting started until around 1pm, if I'm lucky. I'm guessing your day will half over by then.
  4. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most likely riding by 9 or 10. Depends on what Richmond folks decide to do. Maybe lunch somewhere :dunno

I'm sorta thinking Rock Maze would be a nice hike - in which case we could all meet at noon and ride out.
  5. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, Happy Birthday! I can sort of remember when I was 40.:D

That's a really nice present you got! :clap
  6. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer:
    Well an update... The little fella has nursed..
    But his little mouth is still cool to touch but warm inside..
    I'm still guarded on his survival.. :dunno
    I set him and mom up with a hay(Alfalfa) nest this evening ..
    Mom is so happy to see us she stayed down w/baby as we set them up...
    The calf picked the place to sleep for the evening where we cut wood the other day and was in the saw dust and bark..
    They sure are smart as babies...

I hope we can ride tomorrow :ricky
  7. Iamchaz

Iamchaz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy Birthday mtnflow.
  8. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't heard anything from the Richmonders so I'm thinking about doing a ride and walk/hike to Rock Maze. Meet Noon @ Shell Station on Rt 33W. Bring a pair of comfortable hiking boots if you wear motocross boots and water/snacks.

If noon is too late, we can meet earlier. I'm just trying to make it an easy relaxed sorta day. Route to Rock Maze can be back roads north of 33 heading west...whatever.

Someone grab Marty and bring him along :evil
  9. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone :ear
  10. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    I can meet you at noon or sooner. If earlier doesn't work for you I'll probably ride around a bit until noon.
  11. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    WHERE: Shell Station on 33W, HBurg
    WHEN: 11AM
    WHAT: Ride and Hike to Rock Maze
    WHO: h14xl, hbn, skippii(?)

Skippii called me last night and said he was in for a ride but I don't know if he will be up early enough.
  12. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    11:00 sounds good.
  13. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too late to go now. I had to go move the VA tag this morning since no one else seemed to care.:cry

Have a good ride/hike. So where is this rock maze???
  14. vatrader01

vatrader01 vatrader01

Oddometer:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/Virginia/North_Western/Gum_Run/

From the link:

From Harrisonburg/I-81: take Rte 33 (Market Street) west, out of town, and continue through the small town and poultry plants of Hinton, passing through an intersection with Rte 613 to Rawley Springs.
    Pass McDornan's store on the left (last chance for food, gas, brews, and phone), and start looking for it. You will pass two more numbered roads at a triangle intersection just past the store, then, a few hundred yards further down the road, a poultry farm will be visible down off the left side of the road. Just beyond the driveway for this farm, turn left on Rte 847 and follow the paved road across the bridge and up the hill to a right fork, where it turns to gravel. Follow that road to its end, and park in the loop. Climbs are up and left, or across the creek and up the ridge. DO NOT use the land development entrance to try and access climbs. Construction and roadwork are ongoing- be alert for changing conditions.
  15. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    After grabbing the VDST tag Skippii, Hburgninja, and myself headed to the Rock Maze for a little hike. This is what we found when we got there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The way to the left was steep and snow covered so we searched for a way across the stream.
    [​IMG]

The water was up so we had no luck getting across. Postponed for a later date.

I believe this shot was after the unfortunate Skippii/HBN incident.
    I'll let the two participants fill in the details on that one.
    [​IMG]
  16. twohawks

twohawks Not Afraid

Oddometer:

Can't wait to hear this one... :lol3
  17. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    So there existed a makeshift bridge consisting of some plywood and 2x4's with which we planned to cross the stream. We were looking for a good spot when Skippii suggested we cross further upstream. Good idea. Meanwhile I am holding this two foot wide by eight food bridge which is blocking my vision. I couldn't see around it and went to drop it down. Unfortunately, skippii was on the other side:eek1

CRASH! It landed on his head. So sorry.
  18. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    It was scary when it happened. The homemade bridge had wood screws sticking out about an inch down the length of both sides. Always an adventure with the catherders. Glad you're alright Skippii.
  19. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I owe him a beer...I mean Milkshake

Thanks for helping me out of there h14 and skippii :rofl We'll go back in the spring and just wade across or hike the ridge up and over.
  20. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got off the phone with Mica. He tried to track us down but got there after we left. "Were you at that parking lot with a foot of snow?" he asked:nod

Anyway - we are meeting up for coffee at Greenberry's Coffee on 42 @ 6PM if anyone is interested in joining along for a cup o joe. edit: just called skippii, he's coming along.