New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    My dealer and I learned this the hard way. Replaced lots of parts searching for the reason for the low oil pressure light. Turned out the 2011 filters were installed at the first service. Correct 2012 filters solved it.
  2. johnno950

johnno950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the oil pressure sender is the same as the 690 rally bikes you may find the light will flicker/etc from time to time.The switch isnt very good quality and if mounted at 10am on the cover same as rallys will glow flicker when idling on side stand,was worried and checked oil pressure at oil filter housing reading was 55psi at idle with cold 10/60w motorex crosspower oil, what is the part no for a 2012 r filter?
  3. Maurizio

Maurizio 2 smoker

Oddometer:
    Actually, outside US, non R Enduro has been produced and sold even in the "mid years"...
  4. johnno950

johnno950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same filter as the rally replicia,wonder if the sender same part no,583 38 091 100?,be interested if the swich on the 2013 690 is a more reliable unit.
  5. LethPhaos

LethPhaos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would think so, but I'm far from an expert, so don't believe my word on it. I tend to service oil & filters every 5k km's on my '08, just to be sure (mixed track, offroad and street use).
  6. DirtWarrior

DirtWarrior Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I purchased Xentec HID's for my 690, which has the 990 Adventure headlight (Rally Raid Kit). The light worked fine until last Sunday, when I rode it at the local OHV park, and it stopped working. After checking the wires, bulb, and connecting the ballast to my truck HID's, I found the ballast had went bad. Have any of you had any issues with HID's? I'm thinking something may have been wrong with the ballast to begin with, as the box said it was "shockproof."

Thanks
  7. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    Ballasts do that LED is the future, most suppliers will replace ballast
  8. DirtWarrior

DirtWarrior Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What brand of ballast would you recommend? Are you saying maybe I should try another Xentec?
  9. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Sorry no help... I'm looking for a good ballast myself. HID's have much better color rendition than LED though some new smaller emitors such as the Nichia 219 are getting better. Of course LED's have less to break on them.

Mega lumens from the new hi power LED's certainly have the wow factor - can blind others (and you when you hit reflective objects) but they don't help you SEE better than a good HID in a reflector. That's the tension between those two right now. "Aweing" someone with a lights power and helping you see better are not the same thing; there's no replacement for a well thought out/designed reflector.

More light food for thought... it's really hard to beat a 50 watt, Hi CRI FX-7 Bi-Xenon projector for on the road lighting. What would be really awesome for you fabbing experts would be instead of having 2 swithes for hi/lo would be to have 3 for lo beam/hi beam/off-road only beam... actually 4 - have an "off" at the beginning. And it needs to be more durable.... maybe some kind of waterproof, rubber shock mounted holder for the ballast?
  10. hizzo3

hizzo3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I will debate your white LED's not being up to par with HID in CRI index.

In terms of your hid note though, Retro solution makes a multi watt mode ballast.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  11. Mudguts

Oddometer:
    I have 2 90mm hella's. With roo lights slim line HID ballasts , ( light force copy ) excellent light out put , but as stated above
    More failure points ,but no issues so far , my lights are set up. , off hi/lo. ( one lamp low beam both hi beam )
    The only thing I don't like is start up time , where LED is instant .

Once I'm working again I,ll get a pair of baja squadrons set up the same way ,
  12. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    I love my squadrons, they work very well. For the record, I've used a 50w hid in my 8" desert light. The LED seems better to me, I like the light color better.
  13. Mudguts

Oddometer:
    I totally agree I find some hid hard to see they are bright but don't seem to light up the road. ( must be some sort of color blindness)
  14. amr2ul

amr2ul Machinery 2 Upper Level

Oddometer:
    Agree about not seeming to light up the road as well. It seems that the light from my HID's is monochromatic, as opposed to the mixture that makes up "white" light coming out of incandescent lamps. It could also be that the color temperature of the HID's is too high. Lower color temps more closely resemble incandescent light, and that may be what's messing with our eyes.
  15. blakrj

blakrj Need to ride

Oddometer:
    Cloggland via Borneo, TX, UK, Oz and S.Africa
    HID50.com - good enough for Walter and his extreme trips? Next on my to buy list
  16. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    This is what I have in my 690 right now. (35W dim, 50W bright in a euro 990 headlight) I do prefer LEDs though. No heat up time. I hate having to wait for the brights to come on for 20 seconds if they cool off. If it is only 1 car, the bright will come right back on... any longer then that and you have to wait for the heat up again. PITA in my opinion.

My Aprilia 550 has a 1 HID bulb that moves location to change the focus between "dim" and "bright". It works better but doesn't have as good of pattern.

I am thinking the best of both worlds would be a squadron for the bright and an HID for the dim. Or 2 squadrons.. one dimmed down for the "dim" and both on full power for the bright. 80w total and 7200 lumans :clap
  17. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Walter?

[​IMG]
  18. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    No Dude.

Walter...

[​IMG]
  19. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Ah, of course:lol3
  20. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    No one mentioned that 2012's are 690 cc while earlier models are 654 cc (except for some SM models).