Replace fuel pump for TAT?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by LateNate, Apr 6, 2013.

1. LateNate

LateNate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am leaving for the TAT at the end of June. My 05 950 has 20 thou on her with the factory fuel pump. I have the Facet pump in my possession.

Should I replace it before the trip?
  2. DeepInIt

DeepInIt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would say yes because you want to sort the bike out beforehand. There are enough surprises while on the road. If you were taking an OEM, i would say no except for saving weight and space (very important).

And where are you on water pump, sidestand bypass, regulator, steering bearings, vavles, chain tensioners.... Im assuming you are talking miles on the odometer.
  3. LateNate

Oddometer:
    Yes, miles on the odo. I have done the water pump rebuild, just changed my front wheel bearings. Just installed new triple clamps with new steering bearings. I havent checked the valves though. Brand new chain and sprockets. Sidestand bypass?

4. spencergt66

spencergt66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If your side stand sensor gets out of wack or falls apart your done DOA
  5. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    On the 950, the side stand bypass is as simple as connecting two wires together, it can be done on the side of the road with a knife and some electrical tape. I don't really think you need to do it beforehand.
    I would check the valves beforehand, if it were me.
    As far as the fuel pump, I might put in connectors so that the facet could be easily hooked up, and get all the elbows/filter etc. to hook the facet up. Hell, I'd probably just put it in and not carry a spare, unless the points on the original pump looked like new. In any case, don't carry a spare if you don't know how to put it in and have all the parts/tools with which to replace it.
  6. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    The solid state circuit that improves OEM fuel pump is light and small easy to install. I like minimal. Cheers.
  7. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    +1 on this really the way to and just carry the facet as a back up if needed for piece of mind.
  8. Scott Baja

Scott Baja el semental anaranjado

Oddometer:
    These things can go at any time. You may have a few miles, or few hundred left. Buy a spare, it fits in the glove box, and easy to replace on the road. Upon your return, buy the points or, Dr Bean points replacment for the points, thats what goes bad. Then you always have a spare OEM pump thats intended for the bike. Plus the Dr. Bean might last forever.
  9. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Just thinking...
    Have you relocated the side stand?
    The factory mount has it attached to the engine case.
    A good hit to the sidestand can crack the case.
    Black Dog Cycle works or CJ Designs have good relocation kits.
    Just cheap insurance if you ask me.

Q~
  10. kingrj

kingrj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is worth installing the electronic fuel pump just so you don't have to worry about it. I used one of those "Mr. Gasket" pumps that can be bought at any Autozone in the country. Now that I have done the conversion if it ever goes out on the road it is an easy replacement in the parking lot of any Autozone out there. As far as the valve adjustment...Hell I have got 40,000 miles on my '05 and have checked the clearance three different times along the way and most recently a few weeks ago and so far I have never had to replace a shim. The thing I WOULD worry about is the battery. Last year I nearly had my trip ruined on the MS and AR TAT ride when the battery on my DRZ died from the vibration and what little pounding there was. I chased a battery for 2 days getting "jumped" where ever I could. Now I am paranoid about batteries! :cry
  11. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
    FACET: Replacement is fairly simple, but could be a p.i.t.a. on the side of the road or trail. If you choose to wait, consider prepping your facet before you go so it plugs in quickly. Have your tape or wrap on hand to mount the Facet in the OEM holder, silicone, fuel filter, spare fuel line, hose clamps, and fuel connector barb ready. Consider pre-wiring a water resistant 2 pin HM/MT type Male connector to the facet so it simply plugs into the female connector that leads to the main wiring harness. I have not seen anyone offer this with the Facet kit, but it makes sense to make it plug & go. This way you dont have to cut any wires off the OEM pump, and you avoid water-dust-mud intrusion related electrical issues. Something like this:2 pin HM 2.3mm -<wbr> .090 Male and Female locking connector http://www.cycleterminal.com/090-connectors.html (If you do the pre-wire on the facet test it before you go. The fuel pump connector is located behind or near the voltage regulator. Disconnect the fuel pump and plug in the facet to make sure it runs and you have it wired into the HM connector correctly.)

Upgrading the OEM Pump: Reading the multitude of pages of the FACET thread, I summed up that the Facet pump seems to fail with roughly the same frequency- or life span as the OEM pump. And there are other issues with the FACET that turned me away from it. Although the OEM pump is an outdated design, it delivers consistent pressure until the points begin to fail 15-20-upwards of 30,000 miles. I recently replaced my points at 20,000 miles, and they were 75% finished. Points kit is about $30- and if it lasts another 15-20,000 miles, I'll be satisfied. Yes the piston has been said to fail, but I think (but cant confirm) this can be avoided/delayed by lubricating the small rod that drives the pump internals (?anyone?). The DR. Bean kit makes sense technically, but is expensive as the FACET, and I think you have to purchase from overseas, which is too much trouble for me.

If you decide to do the points, I can sell you a points kit for $36 shipped.

Has the clutch slave been done?
  12. LateNate

Oddometer:
    I have done this mood.

13. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    One thing about the facet pumps they need air around them. They survive anything else, but I've run them for over 30 years, and had the best luck with life when they are mounted in the clear. They also run way cooler with a return line and regulator, if your running in low volume mode (Idling around) a lot. I've got one thats worn out 3 cars... LOL Bought it in 1989 for a Baja Bug,, still in my toolbox as a transfer pump..

Dave
  14. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    Facet works constantly in comparison to the OEM that takes a rest when fuel pressure reaches a certain level. This could be the reason for failure.
    Cheers.