15 Days on the Pacific Crest

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by R-dubb, Jul 21, 2004.

1. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Lemme know when you guys go!
  2. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Again, it was my pleasure to provide a comfortable camp for you guys. I like seeing people enjoy my food and beer. Plus, you guys were easy. Since you didn't have a decent meal all day, I could have served macaroni and cheese and some hot dogs with Bud Light and you probably would have been happy.

I found the cash in my truck when I went to use my cell phone. When I got home, I unloaded the truck, whistled the dog into the cab, and took off up I80. I tried to head you guys off at the pass, so to speak, to hand back the money. Went down Soda Springs Road to the intersection with the Tevis Trail (the ridge just above French Meadows), but no sign. I think I was a little early, since I didn't see your tracks. I didn't have time to wait for you. But it was still a nice drive, and Lucy enjoyed it.

I can't wait to get the GPS routes......
  3. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Don't worry J-L... I'm already planning my revenge!!!! I will get even with Cpt.Ron!
  4. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Bring it on, TT! :beer
  5. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    Heck I like that . Tom Inte we will have a tour quide. I suspect the recent fires may impede this plan for anytime real soon. TT do you know how close the fire was to this section?
  6. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I have not been up there to see... based on the news, very very close. I don't know what's open and what's closed. It's really hot up there now anyway... maybe late this summer.
  7. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:

Putting the 640 back together will impede my plans more ... not a huge deal - I just have to make the time to do it. Let summer sounds possible...
  8. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    Yup its too hot now I'll be keeping my street wheels one for awhile
  9. tommcbride

tommcbride Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK! :thumb
  10. tommcbride

tommcbride Long timer

Oddometer:
    That thought did cross my mind. Well keep an eye out and ear to the track.
  11. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    Hey Tom you should have connections for this kind of info eh by the way where have you been. Cominig down this way anytime soon we could do a street ride I have my new wheels and you won't have to wait for me with them on!!!
  12. bpeterson

bpeterson no other way to say it

Oddometer:
    sorry for the late read - I can't believe I missed this!! Great tale guys, looks like a great ride. Thanks for sharing.

Cpt. Ron - :thumb way to share the love man.
  13. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap

Excellent ride, report, and pics! :thumb
  14. Stinez

Stinez Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer:
    This is one heck of an adventure! You guys kick butt. :nod
    Keep it coming. :thumb

Three words on how to prevent monkey butt- Gold Bond Medicated. (The green container not the yellow)
    The only one who hates MB more than me is my wife who's in charge off adding the meds to it. Before a long day in the dirt she insists that I "powder". :nod
    Ain't she sweet! :wink:

:D
  15. ldrider

ldrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a nice fishing area and folks camp on the flat above where you
    entered the water. The uphill to Cherry Oil Rd was not fun with street tires.
  16. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You know how sometimes things get to be bigger than you imagined. It happened again. I'll finish this damn thing soon. I promise. Only eight more days to go......

J-L's photos are too good to waste.

:dj
    R-dubb
  17. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    great report! thanks for sharing. :thumb
  18. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Well, R-dubb got to Reno... here are couple wonderful pictures of doing laundry and tire changes in Reno! Thanks again to Cpt Ron for ordering things up for us!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lunch at the batting cage/deli while we waited...
    [​IMG]
  19. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    On the road again... ready to ROOST!! I'd tell you where these were taken but I don't know. I was the only one without a GPS :cry so I spent most of the ride in blissfull ignorance as to where we were. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It should be noted that this was the only time R-dubb's bag sat sqaurely on his rack!
    [​IMG]
  20. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the road in Reno by 3pm. Still time to get in a few licks before sundown. Went to Truckee and up SR89 to Henness Pass Road. (We should have taken Henness Pass Rd. from Verdi, NV, but I wasn't paying attention.) This is the only east/west unpaved road over the Sierras, and most of what we rode on was paved forest road. It climbs to over 7000 feet and there are some beautiful alpine vistas along the way north from Henness Pass to Sierra City. Nothing tough, just pretty scenery.

Here is the map:

[​IMG]

We were starting to feel pretty darned confident about being able to finish the PCQ at this point. New tires, the bikes were all running well, and we were glad to be back on the road. The only issue was Berti's wrist condition. Buzzing up I-80 on the LC4 must have been very painful. He said he would ride ahead and meet us in Sierra City to shorten his ride time, but when we got to the turn off from 89 he followed us into the woods. I had a bad feeling that his situation was not going to improve. Shear determination was preventing Berti from calling it quits.

[​IMG]

After Henness Pass, we went looking for Sierra Buttes Rd. (off 49 near Sierra City) Turned out to be a little hard to find. I knew this climb would be perhaps the most spectacular of the trip. It certainly didn’t disappoint. It was steep, and rocky and narrow. Cut into a loose granite mountain side there were uncertain steps and jutting rocks along the uphill edge. The downhill side was a place you just didn't want to be. The road was barely adequate for one jeep, with no turn outs along the two mile climb. Pretty scary stuff, considering the number of falls I'd taken in nearly every imaginable situation on every single day of the trip so far. I motored up the assent in 1st gear at a steady 3000rpm without stopping or slowing down. We all made it to the top, although Berti says he had one near death experience as the bike unexpectedly bounced off of his intended line towards the nearly vertical cut.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a quick breath, we turned down Butcher's Ranch Rd. This started out as a gravel road, but soon a sign pointed down an OHV trail with a black diamond attached. I paused while J-L scouted ahead to assure us that this was the intended route. Down we went. Very cool indeed. A bouncing, narrow trail with a few off-camber moments, a deep crossing and then some big rocks. Lots of big rocks……

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's an inset of the section from 49 to Gold Lake. This is an amazing route within easy reach for day trips from the Bay area. Just be aware, that the roads are difficult, very rocky and steep in some places. The GS barely has enough ground clearance to get through some places as you approach Gold Lake. It's only about 25 miles in length and takes 2-3 hours of riding straight through. Points 7 and 8 look like they don't connect on the map, but they really do.

[​IMG]

TT cracked a valve cover on the Butcher Ranch trail. J-B Weld to the rescue...
    [​IMG]

We ended up at Gold Lake OHV Campground at about 7pm. Only problem is we didn't expect to be staying there for the night. It was late and we had no food other than TT's emergency supply. That would have to do, along with a few beers that Berti managed to beg from out neighbors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:dj
    R-dubb