KTM 500 - Less is more?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Oct 14, 2012.

1. bill1960

bill1960 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are these volumes the actual fuel capacity or the total volumes including the space taken up by the fuel pump and filter ?
    A 3 liter increase in actual fuel capacity would be worthwhile imo.
  2. empedrado

empedrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish my advancing age would allow me to recall how much fuel the stock tank actually took, but at this point would just be a guess on my part. When I filled the new one it took 2.8 and there was still some room -- I just did not want to fill to the top. A buddy said he put just under 2.9 in his tank. Does anyone recall what the capacity of the stock tank actually is?

3. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    See the earlier post. 2.2 on the button, engine won't start to brimmed.
  4. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Generally, no. I don't tend to have flat issues dualsporting (gravel/pavement), it's when you're really off-road that pinch flats start to be more frequent.

Why go to the expense of mousses unless it's an acute problem? Are you flatting often and if so, what tires/ pressures?
  5. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    I have mounted the big (5.3gal) Acerbis tank. Install was very straight forward. The overall width is actually narrower than the shrouds on the stock tank. I did wash the tank out thoroughly and dry it to remove plastic shavings from the manufacturing process. I do notice a bit of "fuel slosh" when it is full, but most rides I just run it with between 3 and 4 gallons. I see very little downside to this tank.

One thing I have noticed is that since the large lobe on the left side of the bike is larger than stock, and that is where the pump resides, that the low fuel light comes on with quite a bit of fuel left. No big deal, since it is very easy to visually see the fuel level on this tank. The plastic is more translucent than the stock tank.

Most of my riding is on double track hard pack, forest road, blm roads with occasional single track. I might pee my riding pants if I came across a descent like the one Ned showed at the beginning of the post.
  6. Lance Hardwud

Lance Hardwud Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the thought of the Motion Pro rim locks to reduce the need for balancing tires. I see they come in 3 different sizes, what size are you using in the KTM? I believe my 350exc wheels are the same as the 500.
  7. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are, front is a 1.85, rear is a 2.15. Check the side of your wheel to confirm.
  8. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    You sure about 1.85"? That seems wide, all previous <640 KTMs and Bergs used a 1.6".
  9. dirtbikeslob

dirtbikeslob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    front is 1.6,rear 2.15
  10. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, my error. 1.6, been around Rally bikes too much lately.
  11. xr400r

xr400r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ned,

I am curious how many miles you have/had on your Dakar motor before it needed anything or is it still untouched in your trailbike.
  12. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny you should ask. The motor has somewhere around 125 hours on it now, and I feel safe in saying they couldn't be much harder. About 2 weeks ago, it suddenly started consuming oil, I pulled the valve cover and saw a lifted intake valve guide seal.

A buddy and I swapped it out by locking the motor, using a compression tester to pressurize the cylinder and thus hold the valves up, and removing/ reinstalling the valve spring retainer. Since put about 15 hours on it and it's back to consuming trivial amounts of oil. Leakdown was about 7%, so rings are at least decent if clearly not new.

Pretty impressed by the beating that thing has taken! Hope the 500 proves as reliable.
  13. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    An update on steering lock: the left side, where the ECU is, needs some level of protection. I spent some time witha flashlight trying to sort out the maximum amount of steering lock possible.

First, I replaced the 6mm ECU mount bolts with Pan head cap screws:

[​IMG]

Then, I screwed around with different combinations on the lock bolt, and wound up at 3 normal thickness washers to allow the forks to brush those bolts, but not firmly contact.

[​IMG]

Then, I went riding some more:

[​IMG]

This last part was the best in my opinion. :deal

I liked this concept, but I tried it and it didn't work for me. The sprocket bolt has too much shaft exposed to achieve full steering lock, the sidestand bolt (which is shorter and fully threaded) I couldn't get to the right length for maximum steering but holding the forks from hitting the ECU. A nut underneath was too much, and it wanted to fold washers. What am I missing?
  14. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    If you use a die to thread the shaft of the sprocket bolts like I said it should not stick out any more than your cap screw plus the washers.

[​IMG]

On the left side of the Berg frame - which has the regulator/rectifier in the same spot (it used to be the ECU on the earlier bikes) - I even had to use a thin nut (washers would have worked too) to get enough clearance. At full lock the forks now just hit the rads, or rather the BPD guards I now have on there.

[​IMG]

Edit: I took this pic when I did mine, you will need a M8x1.25 die and a vise to hold the bolt while you thread it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Or you could just drill out the threads in the steering stops a few millimeters deep and the run a tap through it to chase the threads.
  16. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Same here,if those are issues with these bikes its new to me,had lots of KTM's. Butter soft wheel spacers? What kind of butter? Ive had em last years and still be good.
  17. Weldit

Weldit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the wheel spacers on my 09 530 had the chrome plating all peel up which toasted the wheel seals
    once the plating peeled they corroded fast - only 50 hrs on bike - they looked like 10 years old
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I went with some spacers from all balls -they have a hardened steel sleeve where the seal runs
    the aluminum spacers were soft on my xr650r also - wore deep groves where seal ran
    we ride a lot of mud here - so that may make a difference
  18. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I dont remember chrome plating on the wheel spacers on my dirt only KTM's,that seems odd to chrome such a thing but if you say they are then it must be so.
  19. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everything I have ever used from All-Balls has been All-Crap.

Spacers and bearings that didn't fit my 07 XCFW 250.
  20. Weldit

Weldit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wondered about all-balls bearing quality too but only time will tell.
    Stock bearings only lasted 2900 km and were toast - seals failing was a factor here ?
    all balls fit was perfect and the wheel spacers were awesome - even have an o-ring
    inside to seal to axle which should help stop water getting in.
    the hardened seal surface will last long and only adds a tiny bit of weight !
    see them here 2009 KTM 530EXC All Balls Front Wheel Spacer Kit | MotoSport
    kind of like a speedy- sleeve on the old small block chev harmonic balancers
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    as to stuff that didn't fit ? - thought KTM used same bearings for all dirt bike wheels 125- 530 ?
    maybe someone packaged wrong stuff ?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    might not have been "chrome" but there was a plating that peeled up and was nasty sharp
    on my stock spacers - maybe it was a hard surfacing or something ?
    still have them laying in a box somewhere - not serviceable at all.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    later........:wink: