Spring 2013 - Romney, West Virginia - May 3-5

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Dirt_Dad, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to Wreckchecker's recommendation, it should be right out your tent flap. He suggested and I passed along the idea to Romney the idea of having a coffee station available. They gave a thumbs up to the idea, so I don't think you'll need to go too far.
  2. Scotty P

Scotty P Funny Like a Clown

Oddometer:
    that will work:*sip*
  3. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Five days and counting. At the moment the forecast looks fantastic.

Everyone will be arriving whenever it works for them. Here's what happened last year...

Those of us who were at the site by 6:00pm on Friday went to town for dinner. Had Italian at Marios. Nice place very convenient and right across the street from the Sheetz gas station, which was a good place to fill up and purchase some beverages for the evening.

Here is a list of restaurants in Romney: Romney Restaurants

We only had one ride group on Saturday last year and we all went to Shirley's Diner for breakfast, then left directly from there by 9:15am. We returned to Romney Cycle at 5:45pm and went into the dealership for a dinner.

I anticipate the schedule will workout to be something similar this year...or maybe not.
  4. VACommuter

VACommuter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm still in. Slowly loading up the bike over the next few days.

[​IMG]
    VAC
  5. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any ladies going to be there Saturday night?
    I offered to ask.
  6. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    I could wear a dress, if that would make a difference. :lol3

I wish I could attend this event, but responsibility is a 4 letter word.
  7. Wreckchecker

Oddometer:
    Perish the thought.
    :puke1

I still have Post Traumatic Stress about you with the wenches on Pirate Day a couple years ago.

:lol3
  8. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    :thumb I really think you've done a great job with ride planning. It was nice to have GPX and short descriptions in one place!
  9. backroadbender

backroadbender Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In. Camping. Picked up a new tent at REI yesterday. Its new so I don't want to get it wet so In hopeing it don't rain. I'll be braking in a new bor on my KLR so my go with the twisty road ride.I'll need to do an oil chang when I get there on Friday. Planing on bring my oil and changing it myself if the bike shop would take my used oil.also need a drank pan could bring one unless Romney bike would lend me something. Looking forward to this camp it will be my first outing this year.:clap:clap
  10. iw84u

iw84u n00b

Oddometer:
    can i come out just for the group ride on saturday? when/where is the meeting spot? is there a cost for this event?
  11. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    It was one of my finer moments... ever!:augie
    Have a blast this weekend. Sorry I couldn't attend.
  12. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I didn't see your name on the list yet. Shall I add you?

I'll leave that detail between you and the dealership. One thing to keep in mind, compared to here in the DC region Romney has extremely reasonable shop rates. It might not be worth your effort to bring all the stuff. Just a thought.

Coming out for Saturday is fine, and there is no cost. Meeting spot would be Romney Cycle. The "when" part is a bit harder to answer.

We have individuals going out on their own. We have three group ride leaders doing three different rides, and I would bet some people will decide to group up and do their own mini-group ride. So "when" is really hard to say. For example, if I have five guys missing a screw or two and they want to do the full technical ride then we might be out of there as early as 7am to go get breakfast somewhere in town. But if common sense prevails we may not get rolling for breakfast until 8am. The other ride leaders will need to determine how much time they need and when to get rolling. I'm sure a lot of those details will be hammered out over a few beers Friday evening. I don't imagine anyone is leaving the dealership before 7am, but that could also be way early. Your guess is as good as mine.

It's almost here. The weather forecast keeps getting better. Let's hope that trend continues. :clap
  13. smokediver3

smokediver3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any idea as to how long anything will be going on Sunday? As usually happens my plans for the weekend have changed (have to tow the marching band trailer to Kennywood for a performance) and Saturday is now shot for me. I'd still like to slide over if there'll be anything/anyone there.
  14. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know. I usually get moving fairly early on the last day. With roughly 25 people around this weekend I suspect there could be people around for a while in the morning.

For anyone that is interested I'm going to take a dirt ride up and over the mountain on my favorite border crossing road. It's a good one. Anyone is welcome to join me for as long as they would like.
  15. VACommuter

VACommuter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shite! Once again the Hack-a-Sarus gets home on the back of a flat bed. Hauling ass up I-95 this morning at zero dark thirty. Plan was to head over to my friend's house after work to do some final adjustment of the clutch cable and what not. Evidently I should have done that before getting on the highway. A few miles from work RPM goes up and speed goes down. I managed to get to a safe spot on the shoulder under a light but though she would shift fine she would not move under throttle and in gear. Also temperature shot up to a RCH under the red. I think I fried my almost brand new clutch. Probably have 2000 miles on the new plates. :huh Got her hauled home. Back-up plan is to take a street bike.

VAC
  16. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear it. There is plenty of worthwhile pavement in the area. You're sure to enjoy the trip, even if it's on a road bike.
  17. Wreckchecker

Oddometer:
    No sweat, there are a few others for a paved ride.
  18. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bikes packed, getting ready to head off to work. Will be leaving after work today and heading west (staying in Bedford). Then we'll have all day friday to wander the mountains before arriving friday evening. Looking forward to hitting Backmountain Road near Cass.
  19. VACommuter

VACommuter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rode the Beemer to work today. I'll be riding the KLR commuter bike to Romney. I'll be on the green 1st gen loaded down like a rented mule.:D

VAC
  20. Scotty P

Scotty P Funny Like a Clown

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap

I'll help you pick up yours if you help me pick up mine........