The DR650 Highway Touring Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by planemanx15, Mar 25, 2011.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  2. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
  3. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    It appears that you're still using the stock mirrors though. Have you considered swapping them out to something that offers better rearward vision, like the looooooonng KTM FAR mirrors?
  4. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    Or Procycle mirror extenders. They work well on the road too.
  5. planemanx15

planemanx15 Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    Or, the Doubletake Mirros look promising.

http://www.doubletakemirror.com/
  7. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    If I am not mistaken the doubletakes help support Neduro in the Dakar so by all means check em out!
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    double takes are the only way to go IMO
    http://www.doubletakemirror.com/

Attached Files:

9. Aleeoop70

Aleeoop70 EX-MX Adv Tourist

Oddometer:
    C2, these pictures show the plug and wire routing. I secured the wiring to the inside of the cases with silver duct tape. It works very well although I'm sure black duct tape would have beem more fashionable but then you wouldn't be able to see it as well in pictures.

Attached Files:

10. Aleeoop70

Oddometer:
    Case exterior. It's just a plain old flat 4 trailer plug. The fancy, expensive ones didn't work as well.

Attached Files:

11. Aleeoop70

Oddometer:
    Oh, and I do have 2" mirror stalk extenders on the stock mirrors so I can see past my shoulders but there may be better mirrors out there that are lighter too. Plenty of light with the 55W 7" Hella Euro headlight bulb & reflector. The running lights are LEDs. Not for illumination but work great for being seen and being recognized as a motorcycle.

Attached Files:

12. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    Thanks Aleeoop. That looks awesome.

I bought some ammo cans with hopes of mounting on a happy trails rack, which would still work with your same method.

I'm in line to get one of the 5 prototype Moto-Mule Dual Sport Trailers, which may be a great alternative to the ammo cans (doesn't add weight to the bike like the sidecases with racks would, want it for 2 up touring). Plan to do taillights just like yours either way, trailer or sidecases.

Here's the dual sport trailer thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113997

Moto mule site: http://moto-mule.com/

And pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    C2:
    Those two links you posted, labeled male/female, look like there are 3 male pins on each of them; no female sockets. On one, the wires go straight into the plug, on the other, the wires enter the plug at 90*. :beer
  14. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    Wow, yeah, guess that was an oversight on my part. Can't seem to find anything female. :deal
  15. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D

[​IMG]
  16. Aleeoop70

Oddometer:
    C2, what a coincidence! I just ran across the Dual Sport Trailer thread this past week and was immediately drawn to the Moto-Mule. I saw the video of one of the other trailers doing some fairly serious dual sporting and was very impressed. I think a trailer like the Moto-Mule would be awesome for hauling camping gear to the campsite, unhook, set up camp and do day rides. It could be good for road trips too and it appears that the bike would handle better without having all the weight on the bike as you said. I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing some trip reports with the Moto-Mule. It looks like an excellent design.
  17. Aleeoop70

Oddometer:
    Top View of case. Yes you can get a helmet inside in a pinch (and that's exactly what happens). You have to lay it on its side and close the lid on it and the lid makes contact and flexes a bit, but it will close and latch.

Attached Files:

18. Aleeoop70

Oddometer:
    Another view of the case.

Attached Files:

19. Aleeoop70

Oddometer:
    Bottom view. This is a rolling case with the telescoping wheel frame removed. I used Happy Trail's pannier mounting system which clamps nicely onto the rear rack frame. They make mounts that attach to 5/8" and 3/4" tube. Be sure you get the kit for the proper tubing size. I made the 90 degree tabs and attached them to the bottom of the case with pop rivets so the case wouldn't slide around on the rack. All that stuff on the bottom of the case is well protected enough or robust enough that you can remove the case from the bike and use it for a camp stool. The duct tape was backing for a couple of holes I plugged with epoxy putty and the tape was later removed. The Moab mud is for authentic Adventure Rider effect.

Attached Files:

20. Aleeoop70

Oddometer:
    The best ride I've ever been on is usually the last one and the next one.