Honda XR 600 R For Heroes legent race

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by martin.kryjom, Jan 2, 2013.

1. martin.kryjom

martin.kryjom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HI
    Let me introduce myself. Im Martin, new member, old "watcher" of that ADV forum and im preparing my Old Honda 1990 fro race Heroses Legent ( Paris to Dakar legendary race )
    Im doing my restauration for a year now, i started as a low budget project on september 2011 but very fas i have decided that i need a money to do it right, stay alive on the race. Race bike has to be in 100 % in perfect conditions otherwise whole work with be usless.
    This is my bike after i have strip some parts.
    Now after a year i have spare money and i have collected almost every parts that i needed including specially bulid engine by XR only ( im from Poland, Europe so u can imagine logistic problems to do it:)) )
    About the engine it will be a separate discussion , just now some snake pics.
    I have also bought most of litle parts like rubbers, ruber tubes, small metal parts brand new. It took some time but most of the bike will be new:))
    I will need some help from U guys as there are some things that i still did not decide what to choose, and time is passing very fast...
    This is picture made a year ago when i was stripping the bike.

[​IMG]

Engine made by XR ONLY. Based on old HRC specifications- 628 big bore with 10:1 compression ratio ( they asked me for more like 12:1 but i need that engine to last a lit bit longer then one race:))
    [​IMG]

This is delivery time:)))
    Is in cooling box so adventure already started:)
    [​IMG]
  2. Motomochila

Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

Oddometer:
    I'm in to watch the build. I raced an HRC 628 in the California desert for many years. Great old girl; one of my all time favorite bikes. The key to her successes? Keep her cool and she will run like the wind. Also watch out for the subframe. It will crack with the extra weight of a rear tank. Make sure you add some gussets to strengthen the sub mounts to the main frame. I modified mine to be able to unbolt the subframe for easier access to servicing the shock.

Good luck on your project. -Jerry
  3. martin.kryjom

martin.kryjom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Jerry
    Thank u so much for all u suggestions,
    Fo cooling the bike i have choosen one of the solutions from that forum, oil cooler made by Mark, i will test it on my old engine and ifnall is fine I will mount it to the race one.
    Subframe, i had feeling thatbit has to be stronger but i did not know how to do it. May be do u have some pics from u old bike???
    I was thinking to make subframe detachable from the main frame bu im a lit bit worry how strong it may be? Stronger and stiffer then welded version?

Best regards
    Martin
  4. martin.kryjom

martin.kryjom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New front suspension, orginal one from 1991!!!:) , not used, i have found it in Norway.
    Is a cardrige system, good, i will try to rebulid it in ohlins suspension, we will see if it can be done. Anyone try that?

If not i will have to do some improvements for that, so any suggestions welcome.

Best reards
    MARTIN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. BSW

BSW Kilbane Glamping Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi
    Nice project
    Did you buy complete engine from XR's Only or supply engine for them to rebuild.
  6. martin.kryjom

martin.kryjom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I bought complete engine from them. My orginal one has some parts very badly used so i needed to replace them, but as it is 1990 it was hard to get new parts. 2 parts become not available even in Japan so i have decided to have 2 motors. One for race , 2nd for security for the future. I almost completed all parts for old engine until now:))

Anyway, do u know guys if i can replace 2 hole chain guard with 3 hole guard from xronly?
    Also i need to modify frame , do u have may be some old pictures from 90 when those things where modified fir race in almost every garage?

Best regards
    Martin
  7. creaky

creaky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an identical engine in my '98 XR628 with a Yoshimura full exhaust and an Edelbrock carb, it was a real horse. It had stock forks and shock modified by Factory Connection along with a fork brace. I removed the modified stock suspension and installed WP 4054 forks and a WP Super Adjuster shock that I had fitted to an '85 XR 350 for quite a few years. Didn't really need to do that. The modified stock suspension was actually better on most surfaces, particularly good on roots and uneven rocky surfaces. Only downside to the stock forks is the long underhang beneath the axle, that can be a problem when negotiating deep ruts and occasionally catch a stray stick or root.
  8. martin.kryjom

martin.kryjom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HI.
    Is very important info for me. I was never in 100 % sure if I wonna stay with orginal suspension or trick the thing and buy USD forks. I have decided to stay orginal as if i would like to have USD then i had choosen wrong bike:)
    So i will rebulid , revelve that suspension and we will see what we can do with that. Rear shock is really pain. Not available in most shops, only one way left ( the great one ) Ohlins will bulid custom rear shock for me ( now they checking if they can do it)
    If no, i will be in trouble as fro 1990 not options left:(
    I need some help Guys with 2 things,
    1) How to remove swing arm bearings without the special tool, i know how to do it on KTM , but is much easier as the swing arm has different construction, what is the trick?
    2) Please look at my rear hub, now is 110,6 mm, the limit is 111 mm diameter inside, i still can buy new one, but is a lit bit exensive , cost 600 USD new one . Do u think it should be change?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Replace the swing arm, brake set up and wheel from a +91 so you can get the disc brake. WAY better than that drum brake.
  10. martin.kryjom

martin.kryjom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HI
    Yhank U for u post.
    I have considered that option but i would be very hard now as i would need to change rear wheel, swing arm, rear brake, FRAME :( looks like it is new bike:(
    Is hard to get those parts in Europe, on Ebay i see only one Swing arm available for 1994.

Frame is also a problem as is already powder coated and i would need to mount brake pomp .

I think i will stay stock, brakes are weak but only what i can do now is somehow to improve it as it is...
    Or may be there is or there was some conversion for 1990 bikes? ( like HRC kit for engine)
  11. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The later swing arm will fit no problem. The difference in the frame is only the rear brake master cylinder mount.
  12. martin.kryjom

martin.kryjom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HI
    I need a help to make decision what to do.
    I ordered engine rebulid in XR only , Im from Poland and it cost me a lot of effords( custom, taxes ) and money.
    In general Im happy what they did, well, until today when it comes to put the engine to the frame.
    I have notice quite deep and big gap on the gasket on the crankcase.
    I did not star motor yet, is untached , it is as it has come.
    SO my question is, Can i live it like that? Sendig back engine is a dificult thing, cost is 1000 USD.:(
    I have notcie that gasket in that place is wide, ( is a front of the engine in the place where is mounted to the frame.
    I have check that is around 3mm deep.
    What to do ???
    Please look at the photo.
    [​IMG]
  13. techforlife

techforlife CDI REPAIR

Oddometer:
    That gasket goes arround the mounting hole...and also internally too...that is not a problem,,it`s the way it`s designed...good to go there:wink:

B
  14. Motomochila

Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

Oddometer:
    Martin, looks like engine mounting point, not an issue. Mount up the motor and run it through its paces and then check for leaks. On the rear wheel- go with the 94 or whatever you can find to get a disk mounted. Adding the 30+ pounds to the weight for auxiliary fuel tanks, the stock drum will wear out real fast at race speeds. I raced a 91 factory prepped HRC 626 for a few years and went through rear brakes often, sometimes on only a 250 mile race. Have you looked into the removable sub frame option yet? Copy a CR 250/450 design. Find diagram on the web. Add sleeves at mount points and gussets with holes drilled at all weld points. I will look for pics of my old girl to show you.

Coil- double it up with two units.
    Ignition- update to XRL 650
    Clutch- heavier springs and plates.
    Oil cooler- use XR 400 unit, mount 2 up one on top of the other- cool oil,is your best friend.
    Frame- gusset the rear mounts where connected at swing arm- just peace of mind- poor welds here.
    Wheels- heavy duty spokes, especially on much heavier rear. Stockers will snap on a square edge high speed bump.

More if my feeble mind can recall what my team did back in 91-2.

Keep the posts coming. - Jerry
  15. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The gasket is nothing to worry about.

[​IMG]
  16. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    op you should relace your wheel and respoke with some heavy duty gauge spokes...the original ones are weak...if rim is ok you dont need to replace

I use excel and stainless one size gauge thicker spokes and nipples on my 88 xr600

good luck!

PS. I also ziptie the spokes together in case they come apart during a race or trip....that way it wont destroy other parts of the wheel tire...or tube...

christian
  17. martin.kryjom

martin.kryjom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi.
    THANK U All! I was worry very much that all that effords do bring engine from us to poland is done for nothing and i will need to deal with customs again:)

I think to replace swing arm for disk brakes but it looks like frame has to be chnged also. Not because of the rear brake cylinder but because rear shock. If i use rear swing arm from after 1990 then i shoul use shock from that year. I got that one and i try it once but there is very litlle (1mm!) space between frame and the spring.
    What do U think guys?
    [​IMG]
  18. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have the single carb engine so the disc swing arm should line up no problem. It would be an issue if you had twin carbs.
  19. Ivanych

Ivanych Ivanych

Oddometer:
    Hi Martin!
    I installed the swingarm XR650L and disc brake in the frame XR500R.
    This is possible, see my thread.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good luck! :freaky
  20. martin.kryjom

martin.kryjom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wow, SO GREAT JOB!
    I know i can swap swing arm, but what about the rear shock, which one to use, this one for the 1990 or 1991> , is a problem in the frame to use 1991 with 1990 frame
    Look at the picture, i made this try before i have started this rebulid.

[​IMG]