Schuberth Helmets for ADVRiders

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by BoochZilla, Nov 2, 2010.

1. RevZilla

RevZilla Best on Two Wheels!

Oddometer:
    Hi Guy,

The C3 has a specific shape and there are many folks who can't find the proper fit, even with changing the padding. One of the issues with the C3 is the rubber flap that covers the forehead vent cold weather. It's rather thick and causes a hot spot for many folks. Some people remove the flap completely and some use the spoon trick to compress the EPS liner to alleviate the pressure. IMO, any helmet you have to crush the EPS liner to make work isn't the right choice for your head shape. If the Arai Signet Q is a proper fit, then your head is very long oval. The Signet Q is currently the longest helmet front to back on the market, even 5mm longer than the Profile helmet it replaced in the Arai line up. The Arai Signet Q is an AWESOME helmet, and that would be my first choice in a suggestion to you.
    If you prefer to stick to a modular helmet, I might suggest something that is better suited to your head shape, such as the new Shoei Neotec, which is more oval in it's internal fitting shape and doesn't have the ill-placed rubber flap at the forehead.
    You can always call our Gear Geeks to discuss finding the right helmet. We are here to help.
    Cheers,
    Ali
    TeamZilla
  2. Guy Jinbaiquerre

Guy Jinbaiquerre Monorail Conductor

Oddometer:
    Ali, thanks for the detailed response. I took your advice and tried unfolding the C3's rubber flap so that it covers the forehead vents. I wouldn't have thought that such a little thing could make a difference, but it actually seemed to feel better on my daily ride to work. I will have to see how it feels on a full-day ride, but so far, so good.

I think the C3's internal shape is not really so bad for me compared to the Signet-Q. I think it's more a matter of a C3 "Large" being 1cm smaller than an Arai Large. In particular, I think you made a mistake in describing the Signet-Q as 5mm longer than the Profile. On Arai's own website, they have a graphic showing that it is longer than the current RX-Q model, not the now-discontinued Profile:

[​IMG]

This explanation is consistent with the findings over at webBikeWorld:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/arai-signet-q/

So the Signet-Q is actually LESS of a long-oval shape than the old Profile, not more. Which explains why I was feeling only a small (but important!) difference in fit between the Signet-Q and the C3. Believe me, there are some helmets I literally cannot bear to squeeze into due to their round shape across my forehead, and the C3 is not one of them.

With your tip about unfolding the rubber flap up front, and maybe a little more break-in time, I have high hopes the C3 in size Large will fit me fine without the need for any spoonwork.
  3. quadman

quadman ex pat in Mexico

Oddometer:
    Anthony, I have a C3 with a sun visor problem. When you flip down the sun visor ...it is not equally lowered on each side. The right side does not fully extend to the same level as the left side. Question: is there a way for me to adjust this? Thanks in advance for your help
  4. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    Hey Quadman,

The internal sun visor on the Schuberth is cable-actuated. It sounds like one side is getting hung up on something. There is a tab on each side of the sun visor that is not height-adjustable, but possibly one of the tabs that pivot on the inside of the shell are hung up? If you do some investigating and are not able to find the culprit, you can give our Gear Geeks a call for assistance. We can always give you our contact information on Schuberth warranty here in North America. Please let us know if we can help!

Cheers,
    Ali
    TeamZilla
  5. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    Would I be crazy to buy a C3 for riding my Ducati Monster?

:ear

I NEED a new lid, and am looking at all the possibilities. Ruling out nothing.
  6. Guy Jinbaiquerre

Oddometer:
    Just an update here... I've been using both the C3 and the Signet-Q for months now, and it's clear to me that the Signet-Q is the better fit. I still get a pressure point on the C3 on long rides. I guess I could press down with a spoon in the forehead area of the C3 to modify the fit, but the Signet-Q fits perfectly with no modifications. :thumb

I just wish the Signet-Q came in a flip-up design with a sun visor... :cry
  7. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do not understand the question . . . if the helmet fits, offers the bells and whistles you desire, and you can afford it, the bike you ride makes little difference . . .

Possible ixeption is that most modulars are a bit noisier than theier full-faced competition due to the disturbances of airflow caused by the seams and controls . . . . but the Schuberth is touted to be among the quieter of the modular lids (and I KNOW my C2 was very good in that regard).
  8. luxlogs

luxlogs Bespoke BMW Bits

Oddometer:
    What is your head worth, I ask people the same thing when they want to buy a $200 Gun. Their are corners that can be cut and their are others where you want to kiss the Apex and do it right.
  9. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    Hey 5th Circle,

If you are looking for a modular helmet, the C3 or even the new C3 Pro are viable options. The C3 Pro has a slightly more sporty profile than the original C3 which had a very conservative design. If you are using your Monster for touring and don't plan on taking it to the track, then you're not crazy for considering the C3.
    If you plan on track days or something more aggressive in your riding style, I would suggest a traditional full face over ANY modular. Maybe something like the S2 or the cool SR1 might make a better fit if you are a Schuberth fan-boy.

As always, our team of Gear Geeks are here to help if you have more questions! We have several Ducati riders on staff who would be happy to share what they like best on their naked bike.

Cheers,
    Ali
    TeamZilla
  10. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    I agree wholeheartedly. Your helmet is one of the most important pieces of gear a rider wears and not a place to skimp on quality. If your budget allows, some quality brands to check out are Arai, Shoei, Bell, Shark and Schuberth.
    ~Ali
    TeamZilla
  11. Guy Jinbaiquerre

Oddometer:
    Hi Ali,

Just a few days after I finally gave up on my old C3 helmet in favor of the fit on my Arai Signet-Q, I heard about the new C3 Pro with a redesigned liner for a more comfortable fit!

Do you know if this new liner is likely to make the C3 fit better on people like me who have a Signet-Q head shape? Or is it a minor change to "comfort", not actual "fit" (if you know what I mean) that's not likely to make a difference?

Thanks...
  12. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    Hi Guy,

Nearly every aspect of the C3 Pro has been upgraded over the original C3. Schuberth paid particular attention to fitting shape in this iteration, and while I would not call the C3 Pro long oval, it is definitely more accommodating for folks who have a more intermediate oval head shape. They were able to achieve this by eliminating the large rubber flap that closed off the vent holes at the forehead and replace them with the same "cat ears" we saw first on the S2 comfort liner. The new lining is also incredibly plush and allows for more give if you happen to have a more pronounced forehead. For every person who tried on our sample in our office, every one of them complimented Schuberth for the improvement on fit.
    Keep in mind, your Arai Signet Q is the longest oval helmet we offer, so if that is one of the only helmets you can wear comfortably, you still might find the new Schuberth a little short, but it is certainly leaps and bounds better than its predecessor.

Cheers,
    Ali
    TeamZilla
  13. bete

bete misguided adventurer

Oddometer:
    So Ali, is there any flip ups that you would say are long oval or close? bete.
  14. Guy Jinbaiquerre

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response, Ali. One follow-up question if you don't mind: If I put an S2 liner in my C3, would the fit be the same as a C3 Pro?

If so, that could be a good way for me to figure out if the C3 Pro will work for my head... :ear
  15. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    Hi Bete,

I wouldn't classify any modular helmet as long oval, but the Shoei Neotec is as close as it gets. It also is a fantastic modular and well worth checking out.

Cheers,
    Ali
    TeamZilla
  16. bete

bete misguided adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, I have some $$ sitting in your bank I've been wanting to use :clap. bete.
  17. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    Hey Guy,

Yes, you can actually put either the C3 Pro or the S2 liner in your C3 to check fit. You might also consider removing that large rubber flap that closes off the vents from the inside to give you more room. You can still shut the vents from the outside and the small flaps built into the new comfort liner can complete the seal, if you ever find the need.
    In all honesty, I'm not sure why Schuberth found it necessary to put that rubber flap on the inside of the helmet to begin with. It seems like it has caused more fit issues than it is worth (but did make it fun to Google "Mark of the Schuberth"). I've ridden in temperatures sub 20 degrees plenty of times and never found the need to close off the vents from the inside.
    Like I mentioned earlier, if the Arai Signet Q provides the best fit for your head shape, I think you'll be unhappy with the fit of the C3 / C3 Pro in the long run.

Cheers,
    Ali
    TeamZilla
  18. Overland Journal

Overland Journal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FYI, we have a comprehensive review of the Schuberth C3 World and the SRC system in the spring issue of Overland Journal.

VERY impressive helmet.

Ray
  19. ag5i

ag5i n00b

Oddometer:
    took the measurements as shown on the video. came in at 56.5, am I understanding correctly that I should move up a size since I am right in the middle...please advise, and am looking at the hight vis yellow any update on delivery. thanks Helmet in question is C3 Pro

Doug/AG5i
  20. Keating

Keating Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Signet-Q is the most comfortable helmet I've ever had on my head.
    I wear an XL in the Signet-Q, or a XXL in pretty much anything else.
    Currently wearing an XXL XD-4 with thicker cheekpads and a thin foam shim in both sides of the removable main liner.

Seems the Signet-Q is in a league of its own, with respect to shape.
    I'd love a **quality** dual sport or MX helmet in a Signet-Q fit.