ACT ADV Riders Thread...Discover the ACT and surrounds

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Oz Nutter, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Jdeks

Jdeks Accepting and supportive of everyones feelings.

Oddometer:
    Low pressure? You can run it with NO pressure.

Which is what I did on a trip earlier this year to Lovaks hut near Jamieson when it started to rain, and we got lost on the side of a muddy hill.

Seriously, it's STIFF.
  2. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Hi Hoots, I'm just having a Mitas Stone King removed from the rear of my XR600 today, the front (other brand) is worn out at around 5k but the Mitas rear has done 8k and I still can't kill the last bit. They prolly aren't as stiff as the above tyre, but they wear forever (and ever, and ever, and....). FYI and consideration. Cheers.
  3. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    8k is pretty amazing ...

I think about 4K is my record (an E07), although seem to ditch tyres earlier than most people ...

I'll try this E09 Dakar ...

I was intending to put a Scorpion Rally on the back this time, but looked at one and was a bit dissuaded by the lack of depth in the tread - sort of resembled a partly-worn E09, which led me to think that ...

And the Motoz Tractionator I think just tried to too hard to grip the road - got worn down very quickly, and is no longer tractionating ...

The quirky (almost ridiculous) little MT43 trials hybrid is still my favourite on the 690 thus far ...
  4. Jdeks

Jdeks Accepting and supportive of everyones feelings.

Oddometer:
    I'm just surprised that with all this talk of stiffness flying around, nobody's made a single pun. Not even ONE. Poor form, gents.

Hoots, I scrounged a Scorp Rally at about 70% for the trip BACK from BVille ( for $50, score!). It was a 140, so a bit narrow for the 950, but fairly comparable to the E09 TBH, just didn't last quite as long, and it would slip up on the tarmac pretty easily. Stil, not a bad tire, esp in the sand. I think you can see it on the bike in the dunes in the photos before
  5. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:

That old tyre on the back of 'Kenny' doesn't like loose gravel!!!!, :eek1
    It's a Pirelli MT13 [400x18"] - what's that one you've got off the KTM?? :deal
    Cheers
    Baza
  6. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a Motoz Tracionator on there at the moment ...

But it's wearing down fast ...

I had a Pirelli MT43 on before that - that was trials hybrid - I really liked the MT43 on the 690 on all surfaces - including loose gravel - but I had to drop the pressure down to about 11psi (really) to get it to grip properly and wear evenly - it goes against everything that seems sensible, but if you have faith and run it at a low pressure then it performs ...

Your bike may be too heavy, but the 690's with extra tanks etc is not particularly light ...

I've got the same tyre on the 450EXC, and it's even better on that - climbs anything and doesn't bugger up the paddocks ...

EDIT: the caveat I should have added is that you need a rimlock and UHD tube to run the back tyre at 11psi ...
  7. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    I made a bead breaker similar to the tyrepliers unit when I bought the 950. Tested that it worked before leaving home for the OCR in '08.Combination of the 950 rear rim & 908's had me a bit concerned. Used it on Micks ( mate of Atgreg) 1200gs at Adel grove, worked no worries. Never had to use it on the road. Its a bit heavy & bulky but no chance would I leave it at home on a trip!!
  8. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:

Running about 28psi, weight would have been a bonus!, felt like a flat tyre - then I realised it was wheel spin, doesn't happen often!!! :lol3
    Cheers
    Baza
  9. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know that this was quite what Pirelli had in mind when they got excited about their new hybrid trials tyre ... :smooch

You're still welcome to that old one of mine, but it sounds as though you might have gone off the idea ...

I took the 450 out this afternoon with it down to 6psi ...

Grips rocks like a mollusc ...

Amazing what it will go up with that tyre if you just keep the revs down and let it tractor its way ...

Little clip for your entertainment - this bloke is one (important) step more evangelical about the MT43 than I am, but that may go with the territory in West Virginia ...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ryolSkBuLvI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  10. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Hoots, I'll have to get over & pick up next week sometime, I'll be in contact via E-mail or Pm :deal
    Might bring 'Kenny' over for a morning run
    Cheers
    Baza
  11. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Just checking in after getting home last night and <> 9,000 kms on the the DR for the TK ride. 22 days on the bike plus one maintenance day in the middle. Fantastic ride with a new adventure and challenge each day.

Might be up for a ride later in the week, I'm getting toey already......
  12. wiz.au

wiz.au Ceased riding for now.

Oddometer:
    Not really a "higher HP bike" but I ran a front and rear set on the F650GS Dakar for last years Safari. 3,500km of mixed trails and tar, and got home to Canberra half worn if that. Did another 3000km of mostly commuting to work, and some weekend trails. Front was gone about 1000-1500km before the back but I was mightily impressed with the rear.

The front wasn't really aggressive enough and now I run a D606 on the front, and I would run a E09Dakar on the rear again for sure. I just have two K60's to use up first, and most of my time is commute on tar. If I was going with Berg's on the TK ride, I would have put the E09 Dakar tyre on the Dakar bike again! It's cool to have the name of your bike stamped on your tyres! :wink:
  13. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Coast Ride on Thursday

We'll be doing a ride to Milton on Thursday.

We'll meet at the Bungendore bakery a bit before 9:00am, then take back roads to Nerriga - up the highway a bit, then through the Tianjara area and down to Conjola Ck - lunch / fuel at Milton ...

I think ...

John S will be navigating this one - not sure what the plan for the return leg is, but we'll be back before nightfall ...

Let me know if keen ...
  14. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this - have one on order - will run the old tyre into the ground a bit more then try it out ...
  15. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    The Mitas 'Dakar' tyres are a stiffer sidewall version of the non 'Dakar' type. On bikes like the 690 and DR650 etc, I reckon they are overkill. The cheaper non Dakars give decent puncture protection and hook up better with a bit more carcass flex at normal pressures and give more feel with a less sudden break away, more progressive.

In fact after our recent adventure I think I'm over Mitas. Their quality control is so variable, its just a lottery what you get, how long they last, and whether they shred etc. Side by side on 2 DRs, an E09 Dakar lasted only about 80% as long as a 606. My previous experience has found they were good for + 50% over a 606. I've also had them throw knobs on only one side and for 1/3 of the circumference.

Michelin T63s are virtually the same as the E09 and normally cheaper, but the Mitas QC issues effect them too if made in Czecho. The Thai bulit ones are OK for QC, but seem to have a different compound that means they last about the same as a 606.

Don't bother with the E09 fronts though, no stability in soft stuff, and not enough knob to bite. OK for 50/50 maybe.

For my recent trip I started off with a new Pirelli Scorpion Rally up front and a 130 Motoz Desert HT up back. Finished with a Sava MC23 up front and a 606 up back, with a Mefo Stonemaster up back for 500 kms in the middle, which was so diabolically bad, I took it off for the 606. No matter what pressure, from 15-40 psi, it felt like greasy clay everywhere in the dry, horrible.

YMMV :wink:
  16. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    CMC tell me that the Dakar has arrived ...

I'll have to try it now (it's not a stock tyre for them) ...

The next will be a Pirelli Scorpion Rally, and I suspect that will be a very tyre for this bike ...
  17. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I've had a good run with 606 rears, and some truly outstanding mileage from Mitas "Stone King" rears on the XR, I just had a rear Mitas Stone King replaced simply because I've been trying to finish it off for the last 3,000 k's, and it won't die. I got 8,000 k's out of it and it was still going......:eek1.....no punctures either.

It got me into and out of the TTT, no worries whatsoever, but since the front was rooted I just did the rear at the same time. I suspect the bugger would have lasted another 2k or so too.
  18. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    I've run a few C02 Stonekings on the Bergs over the years and they last in the bush for sure. Excellent grip both forward and lateral when new, but knobs round off early and lose any edge as it wears. Great steering aid on single track, but a bit too loose and unpredictable for 'road' use for me.

FWIW, I think I've just about decided that my 'optium' DR tyres are the Scorpion Rally up front and the 110 Motoz Desert HT up back.

I still have a Golden Boy, made by Shinko, SR244 in the shed for testing though.

So many choices :D
  19. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Trying a brand new trials on the front of 'Kenny', :deal
    used to always use them or K70's, back in the day ['70's], liked a Metzler 'Touring Block' back then too, can't get that pattern now?? :ear
    That bloody old trials I have on the rear of 'Kenny' doesn't seem to be wearing much, probably because it's twenty or so [yrs old], cracks haven't opened any further :lol3
    Cheers
    Baza
  20. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Enjoyable ride this morning, foggy so headed out Barton to Murrumbateman, hooked left down to Gundaroo :clap
    & out Hoots' place to pick up a tyre, thanks Hoots :rofl
    do a round trip back via Yass River road, wickedly fast condition [for road tyres], along there, best condition I've seen it in a long time, :wink:
    home in sunshine, two hours & 100kms, nice to get out for a ride :eek1
    To the blokes getting out with Hoots tomorrow, photos boys - photos :wink:
    Cheers
    Baza