The F5 Bivouac (rallye raid news) and W2RC - World cross country rally championship

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same way Garden of the Gods was formed.
    [​IMG]
  2. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    From David Casteu's facebook

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/47giX94BvEs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  3. zenjen

zenjen Go Outside

Oddometer:
  4. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. zenjen

zenjen Go Outside

Oddometer:

:nod :evil :thumb
  6. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Yep! Between him and Robbie - maybe 2013 will be the year of the 2WD overall winner?!

Jx
  7. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
    "and an electro-pneumatic system that can adjust tyre pressures from the cockpit, which is ideal when switching from rocky ground to sand dunes"

Isn't this what got RG in a bind with the race officials? Anyone know enough on the new buggy to comment?
  8. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I thought it got him into trouble because it discharged into the engine and made more power because of it. Or something like that.
  9. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Yes that's right... 2WD vehicles are allowed to have remote air inflation/deflation (on the driven wheels) as a concession to not having 4WD (whereas 4WD cannot have remote inflation/deflation at all), but not, as was suggested last year - to draw or dump air into the inlet manifold... ahem.

Jx
  10. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    In that article Nasser eludes to Carlos Sainz driving the second buggy. Any word yet on who is driving the second hummer? Mark Miller?

:lurk
  11. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:

Nasser's new "buggy"... four days (maybe)... five days tops.
  12. dox

dox How much for the ape?

Oddometer:
    :nod

He's got the balls and the basic skillset to be fast, but he destroys vehicles.
  13. dox

Oddometer:
    I hope Mark Miller makes a return. Not sure he'll ever win overall, but he's a good driver and competitor, seems humble and just happy to be racing when giving interviews.
  14. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    Sure having VW to put a fresh vehicle under you every day is a big asset at DAKAR...

But my thought's were more along the lines of R&D and/or bringing a last minute project to the startline.

The article says it's (still?) being built in California... prior race development, testing...? The SoCal. boys build some mean offroad/Baja racers... but DAKAR she's a whole other game.

Will make for an(other) interesting aspect to the Auto division for 2013 in any case...
  15. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    He ran a line from the system into the intake so that the tire pressure could be "sucked" down faster.

They said he was generating more power by using this "extra" air. Complete bullshit because 4 33" tire @30 psi would deliver air to that LS for only a split second.
  16. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    As I understand it, he got DQed because he plumbed it in AFTER the intake restricter, and potentially negating some of the restricting effects of the restricter...

I may be wrong on that, and I am not saying I agree with the ruling, but that is just the way I understand it.

I won't mention unfiltered air entering the system, it passing scrutineering or anything else like that...
  17. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    For me, the issue I have with the ruling is that they passed they system in tech, for sure this year, as I understand it for several years prior as well.

To examine it, pass it, and then bring it up later is chickenshit in my opinion.

And as Tony said, the potential gain is negligible anyway.

In any case, I'm a big Robbie fan, but until he learns how to manage and delegate, he's not going to win Dakar.
  18. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you know if he is in for 2013?
  19. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    After I read that Jason was given the Caldecott Award I was thinking perhaps advrider could unofficially bestow some awards at the end of the 2013 Dakar. Nothing that has the seriousness of tragedy, like the Caldecott award, just a few fun designations that reflect our experience following the race here on ADVrider.

I propose The Snowman Award, for the rider who gets the farthest despite swallowed by the snowball.

Other possibilities:
    - the most scandalous behavior (some reference to a moustache) or poorest sportsmanship (mud)

and . . . well, I can't really think of anything else right now. Maybe just those two.
  20. dox

Oddometer:
    Maybe the Pavey Award for finishing a stage under extreme mechanical consequences. I think Si Pavey changed his engine in the middle of a stage in 2011?

Or the Merkit Award for happiest guy in the bivouac. He will be missed this year :cry