Motorcycle Tour of Alps

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LookingForAdventure, Feb 20, 2011.

1. LookingForAdventure

LookingForAdventure Long Distance Voyager

Oddometer:
    Here is my ride report from a motorcycle trip I did around the Alps this past summer.

I was going to post a normal ride report with the usual photos and comments but that format I thought was too restrictive, as I wanted to create more of a virtual experience for the reader. So I have posted my videos, photos and maps onto my website.

http://www.ride4adventure.com/Alps/

[​IMG][/URL]
  2. Bluesjammer

Bluesjammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice website. You've got a great eye for capturing the towns you passed through. Also great scenic mountains and flowers. What camera were you using, great colors and clarity.

Steve
  3. tingavert

tingavert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great website, great videos. I was almost crying... For an italian living in Toronto it's hard to watch these kind of reports.
    I 'd like to point out just one important thing: keep off from the centerline.
    I know you'll say that there is no centerline, but you (or whoever will travel around the alps) might kill youself or some cyclist. I know that here in Canada everyone tells you to stay in the left track etc.. but not there. And keep off the edge (because of gravel- you do not want to slide there), in the middle of your "lane" (imagine one). I saw busses coming up and down from a similar road as narrow as the Passo dello Stelvio.

See you on the road.
  4. LookingForAdventure

Oddometer:
    I know that some of of the videos look like I am riding in the centre of the road but that is only because the video camera was mounted on a bracket near the left mirror mount, so you are getting the perpective from where the camera was position and not from the rider's view and with a wide angle lens it tends to make anything coming into the frame appear closer than it really is.
  5. Haroon

Haroon RIDE for PASSION

Oddometer:
    Wonderful trip, beautiful pics and great website. Job very well done:clap

BTW, me & wife also did almost the similar preparations & research for our Alps trip. Just that we started from Munich and rented from Karl Maier. We were there from 18-25 May 2010.
  6. Direktor

Direktor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great website and ride report! :clap

How did you do that? :D
  7. Bury_Dave

Bury_Dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    GREAT report. Well done. That sets a pretty high standard for the rest of us to follow :eek1

Those cyclists ono some of the narrower roads looked pretty scary !

Dave
  8. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that a great presentation.

I'm shipping my K11RS to Heidelberg with Stephan Knopf. The Bike ships in March, I'll go in June. All my dealing with Knopf tours have been very good. Your report had made the wait till June more difficult. :D

Regards, Paul
  9. LookingForAdventure

Oddometer:
    My videos were taken with a Canon FS30. Its just a standard definition camera. Has built in electronic stabilization which is essential for any motorcycle mounted camera. If you have the money I would go for a HD camera. I use RAM mounts for attaching camera to bike, they work great.
    My DSLR is a Nikon D70