R80/7 + a newb = a long road to cafe

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by benthic, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    In this photo it looks like the bracket goes from the flyscreen to an adapter screwed into the mirror mount. Would be the same thing on the other side. The part on the flyscreen looks like a ball joint and the part holding the rod in the mirror mount threads looks like a mini handlebar clamp. Can you see it now?
  2. benthic

benthic glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer:
    I went and did it. I dropped my transmission off with Paul at BMW Motorcycles of Escondido. He came very highly recommended by a local guru. His initial impression was that it was worth rebuilding, but just incase he's only going to crack open the case and perform a better inspection at first. Then, if still warranted, we'll do a full rebuild. fingers crossed it only needs bearings and seals...
  3. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Congratulations.

Good Luck.
  4. benthic

Oddometer:
    i already have news.

I was a bit shocked this morning. Jack, the BMW service manager calls to tell me $1100 and then passed me off to Paul to explain it to me and it IS a pretty standard rebuild - bearings and seals PLUS he needs to replace my clutch rod and piston. Renner had seen the piston was REALLY worn, and Paul said the rod was damn near rusted through.

I took a quick look at realOEM and I DID add a bunch of parts up to $500 (i know there has been some recent discussion about the accuracy of realOEM's prices, but i figure it is close enough)

01 ROD 1 09/1980 23131232089 $38.42
    02 FELTRING 1 09/1980 23211230440 $3.97
    03 Washer 1 09/1980 23131232088 $19.71
    04 NEEDLE CAGE 23X6X2 1 09/1980 23131232079 $29.05
    05 Piston 1 09/1980 23131232087 $73.42
    06 Gasket ring 1 09/1980 21521020109 $6.45
    07 Cup 1 09/1980 21511230109 $13.03

01 CYLINDRICAL ROLLER BEARING,RADIAL 47X38X26 1 23211235449 $114.41
    11 GROOVED BALL BEARING 52X20X15 1 23121231495 $27.14
    15 GROOVED BALL BEARING 20X52X15 2 23121233808 $36.58
    04 GROOVED BALL BEARING 62X17X17 1 23121338795 $60.12
    17 GROOVED BALL BEARING 52X20X15 1 23121231495 $27.14

just the bearings are $300:(

Labor is still just the $550. I guess i have to do it.

I think Renner is driving up with me after work to see it cracked open and to watch me cry as i give the authorization to finish the rebuild...
  5. benthic

Oddometer:
    I was just IM'ing with my wife and explaining to her about the transmission rebuild, and ended with:

and this is why i love her.
  6. benthic

Oddometer:
    Renner and I got a quick tour of the disassembled transmission. Paul
    certainly seemed to know his stuff.

anyway, the parts list he told me on the phone is legit and I
    authorized them to proceed. I should have the tranny back next week!
    So now I just have to get my sh!t together and order parts for the oil
    pump/clutch work... I'll probably email the Beemershop tomorrow...

some pics:

[​IMG]
    the magical elves seem to be missing.

[​IMG]
    Paul had already wire wheeled the shaft, but you can see some pitting between the forks

[​IMG]
    that little plastic bushing is majorly deformed and will be replaced

[​IMG]
    clutch rod is very corroded and will be replaced.

[​IMG]
    you can see the pitting on the teeth, but Paul isn't worried about this.
  7. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    You're taking a reasonable approach. Water in the tranny oil (that happens), bearings starting to fail and it was a matter of time before the clearances, preloads, etc went south and the gears started to wear and fail. It wasn't if, it was when, and you just saved a bunch in replacement parts.

She'll probably be around as long as the bike will. Good show...
  8. benthic

Oddometer:
    hey team! happy friday! to celebrate i have questions - mostly cosmetic but related to performance...

Toaster.Tan top braces. they seem to be universally accepted as awesome. I'm going to get one:) But I can't decide what to do about a few things:

headlight brackets - I happen to love the stock airhead headlights and brackets. but with a T.T top brace you have to trim them down OR go aftermarket.

handlebars - if you've been poking around recently, you'll probably have seen the awesomely engraved (CNC routed) logos in the T.T top braces. But to maximize the potential of a logo you have to get rid of the stock holes. This means clip-on bars. I'm exploring this logo option with my graphic designer (wife).

instruments - if you don't have any holes in the top brace then you don't have a way to mount the instrument cluster.

my dilemma really boils down to the instrument cluster. I can find (am taking recommendations for!) new headlight brackets and clip on bars, but I struggle with the idea of changing the instruments. electrical stuff is my weakest area (that's saying something since I'm weak at everything right now!), so I'm intimidated by the thought of having to rewire a new instrument cluster. I also don't know how to choose a new instrument. I'd like to keep the "idiot" lights, and still have a tach, but i don't know that I understand the gen light problem and of course I'd still have to mount them somewhere. i've seen the Acewell thread, but I don't think I want to go that route.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? I know the bike won't be a pure resto, but I'm ok with that - it was never my intention to go all original.

thanks all! have a great weekend! Renner is off to the races and Mike and I are going to an English pub. good times!:)

Spencer
  9. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I think TT is calling the no hole top brace a /5 item since the gauges are not in a pod. Since you don't have a /5 it's not intended for your bike. Of course anything can be made to work given the right inspiration and enough money and time.

Cut the headlight ears. Both ends get cut instead of all the reduction being at one end. Maybe somebody here offers a service to cut the ears for us? I don't know.
  10. benthic

Oddometer:
    i've exchanged a few emails with TT - custome stuff can be done:) but should it!? that is the question;)

I was thinking about this, and really, if i need to find a mounting solution to a different speedo, i might just as easily figure something out to mount the stock cluster...

something for me to ponder this weekend.
  11. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why not drill or drill/tap the TT top brace to work with the stock instruments?
  12. benthic

Oddometer:
    True, I could do that. I've decided to go with the regular TT /7 brace for the versatility it will offer with all the holes ready to go. means I don't have to decide everything right away:) I just have to paypal over some money and should be good to go:)

In other news, not much progress on the bike on my end aside from paying for parts. My transmission was all done back on the 28th, but i didn't want to dive back into the bike until the rest of the parts i've been ordering showed up, and now they have:) I believe I have everything i need to put my tranny back in and do the RMS and oil pump cover. along with that I have new tires (dunlop K70s) and tubes waiting for me, and that whole new front end. I also picked up wheel bearings and swing arm bearings to do... tons o' stuff. I had hoped to get started this weekend after Stoner's tech day, but I ended up doing yard work and building an anti-rabbit fence for my wife's tomattillos. Oh well.

A few pics from Stoner's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. benthic

Oddometer:
    Good News Everyone!

I haven't really worked on the bike much but I think I have completed the Parts Collection phase and am ready to move on to Mini-Tear-Down!

[​IMG]
    As you can see, i've made a few purchases!

[​IMG]
    my rebuilt transmission, new brake lines, gaskets, bearings, push-rod tube seals...

[​IMG]
    rubber parts, brake pads, clip-ons, TT brace, turn signals, (headlight brackets not shown)...

[​IMG]
    new dual disc front end, new tires and tubes, Por15 tank lining kit...

[​IMG]
    and of course the Harbor Freight motorcycle lift! Renner helped me pick this up Monday night:)

I would have started the tear down last night, but I had to assemble the lift (easy), then mess around putting first one, then the other bike up there seeing how easy it was - Much easier with a center stand! Then I decided that I should really do some simple maintenance on my honda - using the lift - before I put the beemer up for any length of time. That all means that I hope to start taking apart the bmw this weekend:)

Spencer
  14. Werner1111

Werner1111 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How much was the lift, delivered? Would you recommend! I need more tools in my garage:)
  15. benthic

Oddometer:

the lift was $299 after the 50% coupon you can find in many magazines + tax. Renner and I picked it up so no delivery charges other than the gas I bought Renner;). I think the website says this lift has an $89 shipping charge.

It was definitely a 2 man operation to get this thing out of Renner's SUV - it weighs about 350lbs.

I haven't done anything other than lift my bikes and put them back down but the lift is surprisingly sturdy. So far I would recommend it. I have read though that many people replace the front wheel lock and add some tie down points...
  16. Werner1111

Werner1111 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I didn't know about the coupon. I did a quick search on Craigslist and found a couple of used ones in LA in that price range.

The move has been a bitch and I still wish I'd been able to got to Stoner's Tech Day. Oh well. Your pictures were great and I got a taste of the action. I'm going to start working on the garage this weekend. I'll be picking up some industrial metal shelving (via Craigslist) in the next couple days and hope to get a new workbench (also via Craigslist) that provides more utility than my current setup.

Then it's GBTD next weekend:)
  17. apt13

apt13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dang that looks like fun, haha. i wish i had a garage. not too fun working on the bike outside in the GA summer heat. so what kinda old parts you gonna have laying around after this? :wink:
  18. benthic

Oddometer:
    after GBTD you should come down here, or I should come up there:) well, if my bike isn't in pieces;)

yeah, the garage is my favorite part of this new house;) as for parts - i think i will only have the old forks and tubes and associated parts.. I might already have a buyer for my single disc master-cylinder, and I'm going to keep the headlight brackets and turn signals in case I ever want to go back to stock for some reason...
  19. benthic

Oddometer:
    I've said it before - i'm incredibly lucky. Renner came by and made things much easier today as we took apart the bike...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    races out thanks to Renner's race puller:)

[​IMG]
    crank blocked for future work

I've got more work to do this weekend, but decided to take a break:)

Spencer
  20. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer: