The KTM 500 XC-W Thread.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Geek, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Jason Abbott

Jason Abbott Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer:
    Got a new set of fork springs to better match the big tank and HID lights. After watching a couple Slavens videos I don't see why I wouldn't just pull the handlebars off and pop the springs in on the bike. Am I overlooking something?
  2. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    Nope, just keep a hand on the damper rod so it doesn't get out of reach. You will want to remove the front wheel to make things a bit easier.
  3. rotorhead511

rotorhead511 Live and let live.

Oddometer:
    Can someone explain to me how the headlight works? When I first start the bike the parking light is on but then when I get out riding the headlight is on. Is this thing connected to speed-o or something?

Baffled
  4. Jason Abbott

Jason Abbott Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer:
    Thank you. That was easy.

5. heavy_-j

heavy_-j Need me some Adv!

Oddometer:
    Man i want me one of these.....this has been a fun thread to peruse...I need to quit before I find myself at a KTM dealership! :lol3
  6. Danger4u2

Danger4u2 KX500 is Danger4u2 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too.
  7. WRW9751

WRW9751 7th Day Adventurist

Oddometer:
    I have a 12" xc-w 500. My light has a switch, on or off no hi-low. I don't have to run with it. If the switch is on the light doesn't come on unless the engine is running. Sicass makes some options.
  8. jonb

jonb Montana Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 2013 XC-W boiled one day on a slow tight climb at 80F. Not acceptable.
    Here is what i did:
    I removed the louvered plastic rad guards.
    Installed Flatland Racing radiator guards.
    Replaced the crap radiator fluid with Engine Ice.
    Installed an overflow tank for the rad fluid.

Just returned from 3 days of climbing around in Montana in the same temps as above. The fan was running regularly on climbs but the fluid did not get as hot. The fluid never made the boiling noise. There was fluid passing into the catch bottle and being drawn back into the radiator on a regular basis.

I am satisfied with the fix.
  9. CamelBill

CamelBill Ride It! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stock headlight does not work very well, if at all, on mine either,. Even with the switch on. :rofl The bulby is fine, lights right up when hoooked up direct to a battery. Me thinky these things are just sucky:deal
  10. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. unaweep

unaweep Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer:
    Where did you put the overflow tank? I have one, but can't find a spot for it!! Thanks
  12. jonb

jonb Montana Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I installed mine up front on the outside edge of the right radiator tucked between the plastic radiator shroud and the radiator guard. It is tie wrapped to the rad guard with three tie wraps. It makes for a super easy install as all you do is run your tubing from the top of the right radiator, around the front and up to the bottom of the tank keeping the tube inside the rad guard. Then run out of the top to the catchment tank to the plastic fitting in the frame where the fuel overflow hose went.
    Mine worked really well this trip. didnt budge.
  13. jonb

jonb Montana Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I assume on the 500XCW there is no way to bring the idle down a little without going into the KTM dealership and having them check your TPS and seeing if its where it should be...right?
    My 500 idles faster than any other bike i have owned but its not outrageous. If i could, i would lower it.
    Are others finding their XCWs idle a little high?
    Thanks.
  14. CamelBill

CamelBill Ride It! Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really, the xcw doesn't have an idle control on the throttle body like the exc? Have you looked?
  16. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    Idle adjust is on the side of the TB. It should idle higher than any carb'd dirtbike you have ever owned, the FI likes it that way. Just ignore it and eventually it will become the new normal to you.
  17. Scubatoe

Scubatoe Retired trained monkey

Oddometer:
    The knob on the throttle body pulls out for cold start, and rotates for idle adjust.
  18. rotorhead511

rotorhead511 Live and let live.

Oddometer:
    You all are right. It's the bulb contact. I took the headlight assembly apart and bent the bulb contacts toward the bulb for better contact. With a loose connection there is increased resistance that bulbs don't like. I'll keep an eye on it but think it will help.

Next I'm going to figure out the high/low control and post pics. It's really not needed but if I have a switch that can control something I want it to work. I have issues.

19. jonb

jonb Montana Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Copy that. Thank you.
  20. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plated my XC-W 500 yesterday.

The Sicass kit was almost a perfect plug and play with the exception of the rear brake light wiring.

I have the Rekluse left hand rear brake so I mounted the switch at the master cylinder.

I had to lengthen the wire just a bit to have it fit.

Sicass offered to make me a custom wire for the same price, I didn't want to wait.

I even ordered the Sicass key set up.