BHB's First XR600R + Winter Rebuild

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Brauhausbier, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier Focused

Oddometer:
    Thanks Wattner! I'm picking up some starting fluid after work and will try that out tonight. We'll swap in the Mikuni Flatslide and see what happens and add a dash of starter fluid:kboom:lol3
  2. Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier Focused

Oddometer:
    Thanks Luke, I had the same thoughts.:thumb Thanks for all the help last night:clap I owe you one!
  3. TourPros

TourPros Local wherever I go

Oddometer:
    kick down till you feel it stop. Then use decomp to go just a hair past (just a hair) that and let it up and kick it. This procedure works on my 6 all day long
  4. uranys

uranys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The slide should just slightly be up. I was going to suggest you check the idle adjuster. I couldn't start one of mine after a rebuild, finally got it lit and it was set to idle at like 4k rpm.

As far as effort to kick it, it should be the same as the 640 although it may have less resistance if the rings are dry. You could squirt some oil down the plug hole and see if it makes a difference, although it shouldn't really affect starting
  5. Wattner

Wattner Long timer

Oddometer:
    The old, sure fire XR drill.... Hold in compression release, kick motor through five times with ZERO throttle. One swift kick with compression release in and FULL throttle...

let compression release off, bring to TDC (Top Dead Center.... the hardest part of the stroke), then release the kickstarter back up and give it a full kick through, no compression release. This works almost 100% of the time, if the carb is adjusted correctly. This clears out a flooded motor

Try the drill a few times and if this does not get the bike to fire, there is likely another issue
  6. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    Hotcam = no compression release, guys...

BHB, you'll be doing some kicking... put the tires in the gutter with the curb on the left so your left foot is up a bit, gives you a bit of height advantage while kicking. :nod :lol3
  7. Wattner

Wattner Long timer

Oddometer:
    DOH.... The drill will work, just slow going to not jamb your leg.... 5 kicks NO gas, one with FULL throttle, find TDC and give it a man kick! Watch out for the kickback, it can be a cast affair! DAMHIK
  8. Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier Focused

Oddometer:
    Round 3/ Still unable to start the XR:cry

I got home after work and cleaned out the Mikuni and swapped that in.

My buddy Dave came over who has had an XR400 to help me trouble shoot and see if we could start it.

--- Gas was on and in the carb - confirmed

- choke on

- confirmed spark on outside of motor

- tried kicking on compression for a while, no pops, spurts or sputters

- injected starter fluid down the airbox - nothing

- injected starter fluid directly down the spark plug hole - nothing

- injected gas down the spark plug hole - nothing

Seems that we have spark outside the cylinder, but maybe not in the cylinder? I could not believe that nothing could be ignited? I'm mystified.

We even tried bump starting. The motor definitely went though a few cycles - nothing.

I'm running out of ideas. Might start calling around for a shop that might have time to check out my bike. I was so hoping I could bring life back to this bike, and more mystified than ever of what could be the smoking gun?

Anyone have any further ideas? Thanks:ear
  9. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
  10. TourPros

Oddometer:
    dont want to sound like a DICK here but did you double check as you were cranking around with the sight cover off to get to top dead center that you were on the respective valves you were adjusting ? If they are too tight the bike will have everything but will be releasing compression on the wrong stroke through the exhaust valves. Try setting your exhaust valves loose and try and start it.
  11. Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier Focused

Oddometer:
    Thanks TourPros. We'll try that for sure tomorrow. That was my exact concern all Monday evening. Thanks for the invite out to HR:freaky I'm looking forward to it:thumb
  12. Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier Focused

Oddometer:
    Luke just came through with what could be the smoking gun::beer

HotCam Valve Clearance - 0.15mm intake, 0.2mm exhaust

I have mine set for the OE clearance right now - 0.10mm intake, 0.12 exhaust

I neglected to check this out. Thank you Luke!!! Can't wait for a little road trip to Hood River tonight! :clap
  13. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

Duh...

Whose driving this bus Willis
  14. Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier Focused

Oddometer:
    :baldy:doh:stoned:thumbup
  15. TourPros

Oddometer:
    Like I said on the last page. Dont want to be a DICK but?????
  16. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    Hope that's it! :freaky
  17. Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier Focused

Oddometer:

I knew it would have to be something that I just totally missed:doh

I have a good feeling about tonight:photogShould be out of work hopefully by 4:30pm.

At least our packaging line is going ultra smooth and fast today. Check it www.widmer.com
  18. TourPros

Oddometer:
    How is that Drifter Pale Ale ? Ive been drinking Double Mountain and Sessions Black (Full Sail) for a while now..
  19. flyjosh

flyjosh Stave It Off!!!

Oddometer:
    Drifter is my new fav! Just edged out the Drop Top.
  20. Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier Focused

Oddometer:

Drifter Pale is a great brew! Made with imported Nelson Sauvin Hops from New Zealand + a relatively new High Alpha Hop know for its citrusy/tangerine flavor and aroma - the Summit Hop.

The Drifter Pale is also dry hopped and ale fermented! A delicious NW Pale Ale:slurp

Won a silver medal at the GABF in 2006 in the Pale Ale category. I'll see if I can dig a couple up and bring that with me.:beer