My KTM 950 Story....lots of pics!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Pyndon, Jun 23, 2006.

1. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really nice video Pyn. That was one heck of a wheelie too. Good luck!

Gregor
  2. FuTAnT

FuTAnT KTM 990ADV

Oddometer:
    +1. Who needs front tyres when the Dakar will be on the rear wheel ...
  3. pampaX

pampaX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice!!! good luck!!
  4. PeeBee

PeeBee Giant leap for me!

Oddometer:
    Please let us know what your starting number will be, so we can enter that in ASO's tracking webpage. Can't wait... we'll all be cheering from our couches all over the world!
  5. michaelmy

michaelmy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lyndon is racing his 450 RR dakar bike in this weekends beacons rally
    I will be on my 990 R slowly behind
  6. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, after almost 20,000miles without touching the bike other that fitting new suspension and using it on a daily basis it was getting in need of some TLC. The decision to get on top of it came when the oil pressure sensor switch failed and resulted in oil spewing out all over the engine through the pressure switch. So today, I tore it down and fixed it all up.

Service, general maintenance, engine once over and fixed all the broken bits. I've struggled finding the time to do this since my decision to do The Dakar in January so a weekend without racing was a perfect opportunity.

Incidentally, I always write down the valve clearances every time I do them and they had not moved a jot....perfect. This engine amazes me.

Right, back to it. I've got some race bikes to service. Happy the old love is back in action, I even washed it......first time in about a year!

Pyn :pynd
  7. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    It'll rust now without the protective "patina"...
  8. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right, listen up folks. This was a pretty massive undertaking to get it all sorted with the machining required etc. If I can get 5 people genuinely interested, I will put a price together for complete sets of 320mm suspension. Because I do not have the time to do this (with my Dakar effort etc.) I will work with my long standing suspension guy (who incidentally is building my Dakar suspension) to pull the price and kit together to make this happen. We have all the detailed drawings and part numbers required to make it happen. We will probably do it as a sale only, no exchange. I.e. you buy the suspension complete from us and then sell your suspension after if you wish. Easier than people being without suspension and time pressures etc.

Let me know your thoughts all.[/QUOTE]

Im in - pls keep me in the loop on this one. PM preferred.
  9. Pyndon

Oddometer:
    There's a set for sale in flea market. I have no time to do any more. First come first served on this set.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814459

Shipped anywhere in the world.
  10. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last PM I thought you had someone in the US for that set???? :ear
  11. Pyndon

Oddometer:
    It's still on Flea Market.....until the cash is in the bank, the suspension is available. Like I said, first come first served. No money no suspension. :D

Pyn
  12. TA-Zappa

TA-Zappa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope you get the suspension sold, would have loved to buy them but saving money for something more enduro oriented at the moment.

Good luck with the Dakar, saw your video and it was amazing!

Cheers,
    Zappa
  13. Stumpalump

Stumpalump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did water in the swing arm freeze and cause those cracks you had a while back?
  14. Pyndon

Oddometer:
    No, it was fatigue.
  15. rossguzzi

rossguzzi Started on Montesa.

Oddometer:
    Wow, just joined in the big Kato family. Read the first 6 pages of this thread and then the last. (there is a lot !)

Good luck with the Dakar, what a big apple you are biting into. I am in awe !

I just got a 03 950 Adv S. It needs a bit of TLC but is basicly ok. Although reading one of your last post re oil leak, mine is doing same. Hope it is just oil sensor.

I have been a dirt rider many years ago (Montessa etc) then road mostly Italian Ducati etc, but for the last 7 years Aprilia v twin road riding. (also DR400 Yamy then KTM 450 EXC for dirt)

One thing I am curious about, the 950 vibrates a lot more than my Tuono thru the revs. The Kato is fairly stock and is going in for valve check and throttle balance etc. Can I expect to get it relativley smooth?
    I may get a jet kit installed to. I had a JD kit for the 450. Is this the brand of kit I should get for the 950? She pops quite a bit on the decel. Oh it has KTM slip ons by Gualdi (Any good?)

I also have no low fuel light. Any suggestions?

I promise I will take some pics of the bike and post in proper threads from now on. I just got carried away with this thread!

Cheers, and I am sure I will be here for some time. Love the bike so far :)
  16. Pyndon

Oddometer:
    <iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/2207156196_kWXzkQq?width=640&height=360&albumId=26446103&albumKey=PsGPqS"></iframe>
  17. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Giver :pynd
  18. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    Because of this thread I did my own WP rebuild. I'd never broken into an engine further than the oil drain plug and I got it working again.

Because of this thread I'm headed to Alaska next summer with the confidence to fix just about anything I might run across.

Because of this thread I'm going to run this engine until it blows, then fix it. (or buy a SuperDuke one from you...)

Thank you.

Enjoy the Dakar. Take pictures. Have fun. Drink beer. Then write a report when you get back.

But finish this one. Last I read from the Baja race, you were passed out on your bike waiting to get to the mainland. :hide
  19. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. It sold...:1drink
  20. Tbone

Tbone off-ramp slayer

Oddometer:
    I still remember when you bought this from Steverino. Man I thought you were nuts!:D