The KTM 500 XC-W Thread.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Geek, Mar 16, 2012.

1. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geek, what grip heaters did you install?
  2. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Just some cheap Tusk ones - throttle side isn't working :patch
  3. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Rode the 500 in the Elephant Ride yesterday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Winter riding is tons of fun! I can't tell if you've got studs on there or not, amazing traction is available with them. Sadly no winter riding for me this year, my 300 is all cleaned up for sale this spring, and I just can't make myself drag a shiny new 350 out into the woods in the winter. Instead I'll spend the rest of the cold season thinking of ways to perfect it. I just ordered my HDB bits after a good read through this thread. The Internet cam be an expensive place!
  5. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    nope.. no studs. Lots of slip-sliding :ricky

[​IMG]

The extra wind protection of the HDB fairing was well appreciated when we got going fast as it was waaaaaay below freezing. :eek1

cheers,
    Edward :freaky
  6. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So comparing felt thickness between the legs can someone comment on the differences felt between the RFS bikes and the new 500 model? Is it thinner or thicker when standing? I always felt my RFS bikes were nice and thin and the 08-11 bikes were a lot thicker through the middle. Where does the 500 stack up in comparison?

Has anyone with the HardParts 3.4 gallon tank pictured above on Geeks bike ridden an RFS bike with the same style tank? How does it feel through the middle (between your legs), contrast the two if you've ridden both. I felt on the RFS bike it kept the bike nice and narrow between your legs standing and the width was only felt when putting your leg forward near the radiator shrouds for turns. How is it in comparison on the 450/500 frame?
  7. KrustyKustom

KrustyKustom Lets Go....

Oddometer:
    I just came off a great relationship with my 07 RFS 450exc to a 500 this past October. Having ridden the 08-11 generation with my buddies bikes the 500 is a different animal. While the chassis of the previous generation was great the new one is even better which you can only tell riding them back to back. The new 500 feels lighter and to me the same ergos as my 07 in the tank, seat to pegs etc.

Something interesting is how much lower the center of gravity is on the 500 than a 530. Sitting side by side it looks 1.5" lower under the skidplate, the swingarm looks to go in a bit higher on the frame than a 530 also. I have drug bottom twice creeping over an obsticle that my 450 would have cleared on the 500, but generally this is just an observation not a biggie.

The thing that got me on the new bike is the motor. Sweeeeet! Smooth and controllable, one sump system with more oil capacity than ever on a under 600 cc KTM. Bike gets super mileage, build quality of the engine is awesome, new die cast case is high quality.

I weigh 172 and the suspension is perfect for me.My buddies 530 is super firm and it is stock. Power hit on the 500 is there just more easy to "meter", 530 seems to have more low end grunt but comes on with more authority. If I had a 530 i would want a throttle cam.

I put a Scotts on my 500 and it is rock stable, wide open in sand or on the pavement. No head shake.

Give one a ride if you can
  8. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    So what kind of MPGs are you guys getting out of the 500s?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  9. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    Pinewood Springs, CO(between Lyons and Estes Park)
    26-55mpg so far. Depends on the riding. That probably didn't help:D

55 on road just coasting.
    26 on high speed desert singletrack.
  10. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    The big difference is that I always felt like I was sitting in the RFS frames but the new bike has you sitting on top of it. The 500 feels smaller than the RFS bikes for sure.
  11. PatrickM

PatrickM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay, what are all the buttons?!? I'm counting 11!

And geez, it reminds me I need to order myself another set of HDB guards!
  12. Danger4u2

Danger4u2 KX500 is Danger4u2 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I count 21.
  13. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    ...and there are some you can't see :rofl
  14. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would look way cooler with an I-PAD instead of the roll chart.:D
  15. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    ...that can easily be arranged :evil

What are you doin' slummin' in this thread Indy? Time for another toy? :lurk

:freaky
  16. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> OK, the 3 button switch on the left is a Trail Tech computer switch, they can be wired up to also work with the KTM computer for all the same functions as the KTM switch.

Push buttons on the guard are for the roadbook holder for/rev, usually lives on the clutch lever.

IPhone/IPod remote, 2 on the brake perch are Squadron spot and horn.

The Baja Designs key switch powers up the computer and the top clamp push buttons and they are lights, fan over ride and then 2 open.

Kill on the clutch lever and and start on the brake lever.
    [​IMG]

Crankshaft has put an IPad up there.

Geek, it's snowing, we should go riding.
  17. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl

My bike's getting closer!! I should stop seeing these pictures.... I'm gonna spend way too much! :lol3

oh wait.... I got paid today! :evil

:freaky
  18. KrustyKustom

KrustyKustom Lets Go....

Oddometer:
    Well put. My RFS felt very rigid also.

My 07 handled like a dumptruck compared to my new 500. Hard to imagine the difference.

I have yet to get less than 46mpg on mine, high of 56 in Moab.
  19. trailjammer

trailjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn Edward! Those are some awesome pictures! ...now where's the tow rope and the snowboard you can pull around?! LOL :rofl You need a case saver on that bike before it finds a rock in the snow. :wink: That's some skill riding in the snow!
  20. The Wolf

The Wolf Among The Living

Oddometer:
    anybody have a part number on the baja designs keyed ignition? is it specific to the 12/13 500xcw?