Alaska Trip advice

Discussion in 'Americas' started by knobbyknob, Feb 22, 2013.

1. knobbyknob

knobbyknob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a trip to Alaska this early summer. I'll be leaving from central Michigan and the plan is to get up to Deadhorse. I have to be around my home from June 16 to June 21. Therefore, I can leave Michigan on or around May 20 and be back on June 16 or I can leave June 22 and be trippin' into July. Here are my issues/questions. What's the weather like in late May/early to mid June? Is there a rainy season? I'm sure late June into July is warmer but the kids are out of school then and the roads will be much more crowded? The late June/July option seems more appealing from the standpoint of weather but I am concerned about traffic. Mid May to mid June is appealing from the traffic standpoint but the weather may be too cold/rainy. Thoughts and recommendations appreciated.
  2. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The weather pattern is that there is no pattern. I have researched weather for Alaska a great deal and most accounts say that June offers the best chance of little rain (you will see rain no matter when you go). July is supposed to rain a great deal and bugs are in full swing. August is warm and can be very nice, but you do have to worry about fires obscuring the scenery.. That said, sometimes June will be rainy and July clear, etc. June will be chilly at times. July is getting warmer, and August is warm as well.

The general consensus is that predicting weather is a crapshoot, and its best to go up when you will have the most time to be up there. The more time you have, the more you can wait the weather out and try to see the places youd like to see in good weather.

Many people who live up there also suggest the Dempster as opposed to the Dalton (if you can only do one). Just something to consider..

Do a few google searches on weather for Alaska with advrider after it- you will be directed to many threads that have conflicting advice. Its really really hard to say..
  3. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    May usually ain't always raining, but again , Alaska can change quick. My advice is to just have the best rain/warm gear when coming up here.
  4. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMHO Late June early July is best, I have done it twice with good results.
  5. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    While there is certainly more traffic in June and July it's not enough to warrant planning to avoid it.
  6. boydracing

boydracing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've read several ride reports on Alaska, and I've noticed that all of them took place in June or June/July. Is there a specific reason that no one goes in August. Is the road traffic or bugs worst during that month? I'm planning a trip for 2014 and was planning on going in August, but now I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't go earlier?

Thanks!
  7. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    August. Kind of . The tourist starts to die down a bit. .
    And weather can still be hit or miss. Some days are nice , and some can be cloudy or just rain
  8. srpuywa

srpuywa Big 'G'

Oddometer:
  9. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    While it might be nice and warm in Michigan that time of year, you would be getting back to Michigan about the time the last of the ice is going off the lakes in Alaska. Too early, unless you like to take your chances of hitting snow at higher elevations up here.

Crowds? This isn't Yellowstone Nat'l. Park. Compared to the rest of the U. S. you will be on deserted roads most of the time, regardless what time of year. There will be heavy traffic in the cities, that's a given no matter when you travel up this way.

Yes, we do have a rainy season. Generally, it starts in August, but every year is a little different. If you are riding to Alaska, just prepare for anything and everything. You will probably experience it all.

Traffic, at least once you get north of about N59°, will be the least of your concerns. If you want a guarantee of warm and dry, head for the desert Southwest. If you're up for an adventure that might include anything, head this way. Just dress for it.
  10. Two Wheeled 'Tard

Two Wheeled 'Tard Banned

Oddometer:
    Given the choice, I'd advise June/July. Your comments about "traffic" are silly :) Any traffic there is (and by "Traffic" I mean "You actually saw another vehicle in the last half an hour") is pretty much the same.
  11. knobbyknob

knobbyknob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is all good info. I lived in Soldotna about 30 years ago and I do remember the influx of tourists in and around Kenai during late June to early August. I used to go to the laundromat in Kenai to take a shower and sometimes had to wait in line. There were a lot of folks around. The Alcan was different then, 99% gravel and it was good gravel, for the most part. With the Alcan being paved now and the world basically smaller, I was/am concerned with running with more vehicles. Not a big deal, I'm just curious. I know to go with riding gear that will keep me warm and dry and bring plenty of Cutters.
  12. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Traffic on the Alaska Highway near the Yukon and Alaska border. Mid-June 2012.

[​IMG]
  13. boydracing

boydracing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, from an Alaskans point of view, would it be better to make this trip in July or August, or maybe a combo of July/August? I plan on being prepared for all weather conditions, but would like to avoid a rainy season if there is such a thing. Just curious what the locals would do. :wink::wink:
  14. Philander

Philander Someday...

Oddometer:
    I would lose my mind if I was ever in a crowd like that...:rofl
  15. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    We rode mid June to end of July and had brilliant weather, but that can vary, year to year. We were comparing our pics to those of some friends of ours who had travelled in a camper a month earlier. We were amazed at the difference in the amount of snow and how the rivers were still frozen a month earlier. Take a mossy net for your head ! They can be a real menace.
  16. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been up to Dawson City rwice now all for the D2D event. Weather was great one year and iffy the second time. Mostly on the way out. Both times while there it was excellent for some strange reason! The D2D is around the summer solstice , june 20-21 time. It is well worth planning to get there for this event if you can. A seriously great time.....and a beautifull old gold rush town to explore etc. The Gold Rsuh show is based out of it for one bunch of miners. I have met most of them and had a tour around their mine also. Indian river and Quartz Creek, Todd Hoffman's mine. I stayed at the Goldrush campsite right in Dawson City and they used to come in to do their laundry. Very nice guys to talk to. The dempster is a fantastic ride also......well worth the price of admission!
    Research the D2D and do your best to plan around it if you can....you won't be sorry.
    300 plus adventure riders show up for 2-3 days and then disappear into the wilderness the next day as if they were never there. Really strange!
  17. slo rider

slo rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We went last year from mid-June to early-July. Had very little rain, some cold days, and some warm days. Just be prepared for anything. As for traffic, it's pretty non-existant except for major cities. Have fun, it'll be an amazing trip.
  18. dungbeatle

dungbeatle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Going before June you would freeze and experience some late winter weather if things turned on you. Up towards Deadhorse would be down right cool all the time. Late June early July would be a good time, big area and does not get crowded in the out lying areas, the usual tourist places get a little more attention but remember this is not Yellowstone so crowds do not get huge like in the south.
    Ride over the Top of the World and go into Dawson city for at least a night and see the sights you will be glad you did, and the ride is spectacular.