Can this newbie be saved...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Trophy Mike, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    And WTF does that mean?
  2. Trophy Mike

Trophy Mike w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer:
    Sorry, been watching too much Don Rickles on those Dean Martin Roasts. You don't need to pick on the fat girl for being fat. You're better than that. Your 6 pts earlier were about the best comments on this thread.
  3. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Explain the Immigration quip. I got Airborne wings and a Ranger tab fuckhead.
  4. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :kboom

:lol3
  5. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, and BTW, her physicality absolutely does have everything to do with her situation, and might even be the whole problem. Try this for starters Jethro (as in Bodine):

1. Slower reflex time from brain to muscle.
    2. Slower reaction time from muscle to action/execution.
    3. Less mental confidence from being fat (this actually effects women more than men, since men tend give-a-shit less about being a lard-ass).
    4. Typically the more overweight, the weaker the abs and lower back. Which is muy importante for riding as it is the core of the body.

Now contrast that with a rider chick like nicomama. No Harley, works out, no soap-opera in the head, rides dirt and street, rides solo, self-sufficient, etc. Comprende?

Now YFF go tell Immigration to hurry and get over here to deport my ass. Finally, a way to quit paying all these fucking taxes and start smoking Cuban cigars again legally. :wings Don't come to Costa Rica, we have long memories :wink:
  6. Trophy Mike

Oddometer:
    Cordially invite Nicomama to weigh in on the discussion.
  7. DataDaddy

DataDaddy @ the new dad thing

Oddometer:
    Back to topic... this is headed toward the wrong horizon :deal
  8. haithabu

haithabu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To be fair to Harleyryder she appears to be quite safety conscious from reading her blog. She did the PLP when she began and took the MS course when it was suggested to her after a few weeks riding. She is certainly aware of the risks:

I think people here are underestimating HR because of the way she plays up her uncertainties. There is a certain self-satirization going on here I think.
  9. Trophy Mike

Oddometer:
    By popular demand Harley Ryder and her crew.
  10. haithabu

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I would definitely recommend the lowering kit.
  11. danny4744

danny4744 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lifestyle marketing at its worst, someone get this woman a buell blast.
  12. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess she isn't concious enough to realize that they only have time to teach theory and drills in most rider courses. Whether or not one practices the material in a closed area (until proficient enough to not be a rolling danger on public roads) is up to the individual.

The main question remains...Why buy a bike (especially a FIRST bike) that you have no hope of handling safely?
  13. haithabu

Oddometer:
    Well, if she's made it this far she probably can handle it safely.
  14. RangeRidn

RangeRidn WildMonkey

Oddometer:
    Sure...apparently she's so nervous about starting out again from a full stop that she has taken to slowing down and rolling through those "big red signs" and she has to remind herself that she's supposed to come to a complete stop...
  15. Gitana

Gitana A work in progress

Oddometer:
    Pictures? :D
  16. Trophy Mike

Oddometer:
    Oh, alright.
  17. xcgates

xcgates Whaaa?

Oddometer:
    I don't see that as a problem. Starting from a stop is the hardest part when learning how to use a clutch.:dunno

Especially when I was starting out in a stick shift car, I frequently rolled through stop signs, and I still do (bike and car) slow down early for a red light so I can just keep rolling in first gear, or put the clutch in and not come to a complete stop.

Not exactly a big deal for me any more, but if I don't need to come to a complete stop, I'll just keep rolling. Especially in winter in my car.
  18. STROMVADER

STROMVADER Long timer

Oddometer:
    YUPPER! You don't need an M endorsement to buy a bike. Too many punk ass kids buy rockets and rip around in baseball caps and tapout shirts with no time under thier belt. Fucking turds that endanger everyone around them. She needs a smaller bike or a trike and spellcheck. Kudos to her for trying.
  19. STROMVADER

STROMVADER Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think riding dirt bikes prior to street riding makes a big difference. you eat shit a lot when learning in the dirt. It is more forgiving. I rode dirt for 11 years prior to riding street.....LEGALLY.:lol3 I guess wide open rips on pavement w/ a YZ 250 isn't considered road practice. It did sharpen my evasion skills!:rilla
  20. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lot of those people don't even have a license. Besides...The M license test, in this state at least, is a joke. You don't even have to do an emergency swerve for the test anymore. Most people still don't even take the test on even a mid-class standard or anything. There are places around that rent 250 Nighthawks just for people to take their test on. Then they go out and ride their 1000cc-plus behemoth sportbike or cruiser, without any other practice, tests, or training.

Starting out from a stop, or parking, is difficult? You need more practice. I do it on bikes and in stickshift vehicles that aren't mine all the time. I spend a minute or so getting used to the clutch friction zone and other controls AWAY from a public road, and then I'm good to go. Starting from a complete stop, uphill, while turning, is almost a no-brainer...and I'm no professional wunderkind or anything.