THE BIGWHEEL THREAD!!! Yamaha BW350, BW200

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Mr. BigWheel, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Cliff h

Cliff h [IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer:
    Rebel Yell,

My #2 350 is acting much the same way that your is. I thought that the carb was dirty on mine, so I cleaned it, but it seems to have made no difference. Also like yours, it will only idle for 30 sec. to a minute or so without some throttle input by me. And like yours mine will re-start after a 2-4 kicks (my battery is dying so I have to resort to the kick method). I was going to try swapping cdi's from one bike to another, but I have not gotten around to it yet.

As far as the lighting, you may have a bad lighting coil, but assuming that your bulb is good (I paid $2 for a new one from the dealer), check for ground in the connection where the harness plugs into the bulb itself. I ran an aux. ground and low and behold, I have a working headlight ( I still have to aim it properly though).

Cliff.
  2. DEAVER

DEAVER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. DEAVER

DEAVER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. DEAVER

DEAVER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fatcat meet mr bw 350:D.Love your black n white kittay:clap
  6. DEAVER

DEAVER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So there was my first photobucket experience. Recieved the pics of this 350 i bought and had relatives pick up this summer for me. It apparently runs great with a slight leak possibly from the bottom of the carb where the float is contained, maybe a worn gasket. I paid 2500 canadian and the only other 350 i saw was on the other end of the country for 4000.00 and that one was like it came off the showroom floor. This one the previous owner believes has less than 500 miles, but probally just a selling point. Though the tires look original as do the brakes. It has now sweaks or stumbles. Can't wait to get it either before Christmas or early new year. Either way it is in possession of my wife's aunt and her husband bout 3000km's away. I was itch'in for it back when it was supposed to be delivered in early Sept. Anyway didn't pan out so i bought a Can am renegade 800R to keep me occupied...That thing is fukin nutZ believe me. Looks real good IMO. So i'll have to wait and see.
  7. DEAVER

DEAVER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They must have a dozen cats, but is a farm so..... lol
  8. Shercoman

Shercoman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome find!!
    You'll love it!
  9. Shercoman

Oddometer:
  10. RustyPhoenixMotors

RustyPhoenixMotors Oops...

Oddometer:
    Neat, but over done on the design... Also sounds a tad heavy and underpowered, ESPECIALLY with the sled conversion. Might be fun if they plan on actually building them and can get it street legal.
  11. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like it but the quadtard cvt needs to go let me shift my own gears.I so wish yamaha made one w a wr 450 engine .Price it at 6500=7000 grand and alot of us would flock to it like white on rice.
  12. Shercoman

Oddometer:
    Send me a WR and I'll build you one.
  13. RWBWheel

RWBWheel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 'parts ' 200 bike and it needs parts so i was just looking at 'Kimpex' track sysyems for ATV's and could not help but think how well treir 3.0 kit would work well in winter on the back of a Bigwheel...the track is 11.5" wide and would fir the swingarm well..just a matter of rigging the mounts and converting the drive..I sent them an e-mail if a person could get 'just' a front right setup and the specs and pricing to see if it could happen.
    Has anyone (you Alaska guys ?) seen or think a track on the back would work? ckeck their site..
    maybee a ski on the front...(single)...
    Wa.State does not allow wheeled vehicles on snomachine trails and I'm thinkin' this could work...350 would be much better (someday)..
  14. DEAVER

DEAVER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just get a snowhawk.
  15. Mr. BigWheel

Mr. BigWheel b00b

Oddometer:
    My Snowhawk is a 500 twin-cylinder, two stroke. It's considered underpowered by most Snowhawkers. Our mighty aircooled 350 would turn a track at a snails pace while guzzling gas. The 200 would allow the rider to sleep in the saddle if it was equipped with a track.

It is generally acknowledged by the snow-bikers that the best candidate for a track kit is the Husaberg 570. Pure horsepower is a requirement for driving the mechanical monstrosity that is a track. By the time you have the Husaberg mated to a Mountainhorse track kit, you are well into $15,000.

I like the looks of the Brutus and will so totally buy one if I win the lottery. I don't particularly care for the weight, however. I would prefer to send a KTM to Shercoman for a fat-tire conversion that can go offroad.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
  16. jaubuchon

jaubuchon Cheapest Boy Alive

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know what kind of Carb the bw200e uses in stock setup and where I could find a very cheap CDI for a bw200e
  17. Mr. BigWheel

Mr. BigWheel b00b

Oddometer:
    jaubuchon,

There are a number of new knock-off carbs on ebay for the 200 such as this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-Carb-YAMAHA-BW200-BW-200-Big-Wheel-1985-1986-1987-1988-/160886468121?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ABW&hash=item257594ae19&vxp=mtr

There have been a few very skeptical owners who have tried them and have given them good reviews. For $35 with shipping included, these counterfeits make it almost pointless to clean a carb considering the amount of time you'll invest.

As far as the cheap cdi for the 200, I'm afraid there is no such thing anymore. The new stock has been sold out and the used ones are overpriced and always suspect. No one has found a plug and play replacement but a unit from an xt200 has been used a few times.

A small cottage industry could be supported if anyone finds a substitute for the original CDI. Right now, that is the weak link on both the 200 and 350.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
  18. jaubuchon

jaubuchon Cheapest Boy Alive

Oddometer:
    Thank you Mr.Bigwheel
    I was also told by the owner that a big bear cdi worked on it, is this true?
  19. Shercoman

Oddometer:
    Is the
    Yamaha Warrior engine the same or close to the BW engine?
  20. Mr. BigWheel

Mr. BigWheel b00b

Oddometer:
    The Warrior uses the same cylinder and top end. The bottom end is completely different and I don't think the Big Bear engine would be a reasonable substitute for the BW engine because the bottom end and intersects the cylinder at a completely different angle.

The CDI for the Big Bear 350 seems like it should have a similar ignition curve and advance. However, none of the connectors are plug-and-play.

This is the BW350 cdi:

[​IMG]

and a closer view of the connectors:

[​IMG]

Here's the Big Bear's CDI:

[​IMG]

and some of the Big Bear connectors:

[​IMG]

They are clearly not compatible. However, someone clever with redneck electronics might be able to splice together a cure for the Cdi Malady.

Any takers?

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel