Photos from Michaux SF Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JaxObsessed, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:
    I was riding from Forest Rd to White Rock Rd, from there I wanted to head down to Oak Rd. For some reason Mr. Garmin thought Bricker Clearing Trail would be the right way to go... :huh

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Q6sZ0WFJ6po" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="720" width="1280"></iframe>
  2. Denny Mann

Denny Mann Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bad choice!
  3. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Isn't Garmin great for discovering new roads? :rofl

Anyway, I don't ride alone when doing this kind of exploring.

Fred
  4. Skyclad

Skyclad Original Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like it may be time for me to head back over to Michaux. That trail looks interesting, and maybe even legal.

Edit: Found Bricker Clearing Trail on the SF map. According to the map, it is a drivable trail and legal for use. :clap
  5. turbojerk

turbojerk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    May try and do this...
  6. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was curious about this trail too, and yesterday drove by its southern start at Rt. 233 near Oak Road and the PSU Mont Alto campus. All gated and closed unfortunately; Lupin 3rd must have gotten lucky and hit it when the gates were open.
  7. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:
    Pulled a similar stunt on me when I was in WV near Great Cacapon, on Mountain Rd (renamed get-lost-gully by the locals).

[​IMG]

Same here, I was really tempted but unfortunately I had to turn around: 1.8 miles of mud on a 400lbs bike pushed by a fat ol' turd? :rofl Ehhhhh, not going to end well!

It looked OK from the South end, if I had entered from there I might have tried the whole trail... :evil And you know, with a group of riders... that could be fun! :evil

Unless I missed something obvious, there were no signs or closed gates on the way. Saw a few people but didn't get any WTF-are-you-doing-here looks or GTFO before I call the cops... must be because I'm such a nice guy! :killen
  8. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:

:rofl:rofl
    Might be extra access because the Enduro is next weekend:dunno
  9. Denny Mann

Denny Mann Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate to bust everyone's bubble but I asked Neal Mishler the Michaux Assistant District Forester in an email about the Bricker's Clearing Trail and below is his response. They need to change the map because it is confusing.

Neal
    <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Is it ok to drive on Bricker’s Clearing Trail?
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Thanks
    Denny Mann

No motorized, only bikes or horses. The trail also crosses private land.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Neal Mishler<o:p></o:p>
    nmishler@pa.gov<o:p></o:p>
    Phone: 717-352-2211<o:p></o:p>
  10. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:

FYI, both Garmin and Bing maps show Brickers Clearing Trail as a "drivable" road. Google maps only shows the southern end. I had not set the trail as a waypoint on my GPS, and my route was set as "Driving", not walking or anything else.

My main reference is the Michaux Public use map, linked to by TowPro. PDF document "D_000828.pdf", it shows Brickers Clearing Trail as a "DRIVABLE TRAIL". It is not listed on the Snowmobile Trail maps for Michaux South.
    I'm pointing this out for two reasons:
    1. because I saw other vehicles at the north end of the trail. The white Range Rover at the beginning of my video who had probably followed his GPS and had to turn around, and a couple 4x4s that came by while I wasn't recording.
    2. if it hadn't been for the mud pools (and my limitations :cry) I would have definitely ridden the trail and would think about going back again.

Denny, thanks for posting correct information. Hope this helps other riders.
  11. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    Note to self:
    leave earlier.
    I got stuck in Shippinsburg traffic (forgot that shippinburg road is called Queen street in town).
    Pulled in Big Flat parking lot, GPS said 6:05. guy in parking lot said "Denny left 1 minute ago". I did not pass the group coming into parking lot, and there is 100's of miles of roads up there, no way to try to catch up. :(

Oh well, next trip back up to the area with a bike is 10/19
  12. JaxObsessed

Oddometer:
    Conflicting info needs to be addressed, and the real world prohibitions need to be clear. imho The powers that be must make the closed roads/trails OBVIOUSLY closed.

Strike out on your own.
  13. TowPro

Oddometer:
    I did. Its easy to find an hour of nice back country twisty roads between Big Flat and where my RV is parked. :D

another reason I went for the LC4 over an EXC. They are just as happy on the blacktop as they are on the stone/dirt roads.
  14. Denny Mann

Denny Mann Long timer

Oddometer:
    TowPro Sorry!!!

I have a meeting in the fall after our Enduro with the Michaux District Forest people and I will discuss the issue of maps stating Drivable Trail when they are not. I can not see how they could ticket anyone for driving on Bricker's Clearing Trail as long as the map shows it as a Drivable Trail.
  15. JaxObsessed

Oddometer:
    I knew you would. :clap
  16. badguy

badguy Susan

Oddometer:
    I ended up on Bricker Clearing Trail the first time I wandered around in Michaux just over a year ago. Nice little trail, but I had a feeling I wasn't supposed to be there even though the Garmin led me to it.

How's it goin' Jack? :wave
  17. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    The official Michaux SF map (the foldable one you can pick up at the Caledonia SP visitor's center) doesn't show gates at either end of Bricker Clearing Trail either, but as I posted earlier I found there was indeed a gate at the southern end. That gate being closed was the only thing that kept me from heading up the trail last weekend as I didn't see any signs posted about no vehicles allowed. I agree the maps need corrected.
  18. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
  19. TowPro

Oddometer:
    Here you can find a list of State Forest roads, normally closed to vehicle traffic, which will be open to hunters between the dates indicated for 2012-2013 hunting season.

remember, there is no hunting in PA on Sundays
  20. Denny Mann

Denny Mann Long timer

Oddometer:
    This week we are back to 5:00 starting at Caledonia Power Sports.