2013 GNCC thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Tbone, Mar 7, 2013.

1. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I'm thinking that was a good call DSJ.
  2. dirtysouthjacket

dirtysouthjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, I got really lucky by reading that fine print. 35XJ, sorry you missed it. It can't be that bad.... I mean its not like its as bad as the lines at the fair, or the DMV, or Walmart at Christmas right? :rofl
  3. valvecrusher

valvecrusher tractus pro pensioâ„¢

Oddometer:
    It's been raining 8 of the last 12 days...high temps of late in the low 40s...

After 24 hours of 36 degree temps and rain, the sun came out this morning bringing temps in the mid 60s...

The racer forecast for Saturday is 70 degrees, sunny and light breeze....
    the track will be mushy slop, worked over by quads for hours...

The Biker race forecast for Sunday is 74 degrees, sunny, and light breeze..
    track conditions are a full wet slop, quaded out with DEEP ruts..

TerraFirma: the earth is oversaturated with water, spongey and near liqufied mud....expect super slick roots, rocks, and washouts...

If the course is shortened, it wouldn't be a surprise...

The 'creek crossings' are gonna be SUPER lively this year!..

cya there!
  4. dirtysouthjacket

Oddometer:
    I am frankly going to die. Go ahead and start calling dibs on all my crap! :lol3
  5. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dibs on the BMW.. LOL
    Hell I'll take the KDX200 too. Lol
  6. dirtysouthjacket

Oddometer:
    Oh I just assumed you wanted my sweet Harbor Freight Trailer!

PS I'm about to eat dinner and then start packing. I decided to go out for one last bike ride on the BMW before I tear the front end off for the Shiver swap.
  7. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice.
    Thought you were packing all day? Lol
    I'm in the same boat. Me and the wife rode the bikes to dinner.
    About to load everything up.
  8. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    gonna be so fun...

here's my set up, stop by and say hello!
    [​IMG]
  9. dirtysouthjacket

Oddometer:
    me and jonathan had zero reception all day. We have a white Jetta and Blue ford focus nothe with small trailer. We are about 3-5 rows directly behind the main gncc registration tent. Ive got the green kdx two stroke and all white shoei helmet. Where are you parked?
  10. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was a long day, and we haven't even raced yet...

Hopefully we run into you tomorrow.

Sucks not having any signal there.
  11. dirtysouthjacket

Oddometer:
    We have a green tent as well.
  12. 400psi

400psi Cropdusting

Oddometer:
    Me and 35xj will be arriving early this a.m.
  13. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    had a couple beers for you guys after the race, where'd you go?
  14. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, stopped by your spot and no one was around.
    We were pretty wiped, and tried to cut out just after three.
    Spent an hour and a half in the traffic jam trying to get out.
  15. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    how'd you do? howd you like it?
  16. 400psi

400psi Cropdusting

Oddometer:
    How did you guys like it . Holy crap was that crazy! how'd you do? I dnf'd with a broken or severly sprianed thumb after whiskey throttlling into a tree..
    Good times and really enjoyed my first one.
  17. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn Pete I hate to hear that. Glad you enjoyed it regardless.

Well, I'll let Jesse recount his experience.
    As for me, that was the craziest thing I have ever seen.
    I don't have a lot of time right now, I may go into more detail later.
    After that second hill with the mud bog at the bottom right before it i was basically done...
    It took so much out of me trying pick the bike up after going down half way up, then getting run over, and then getting the bike up. I had arm-pump so bad it was crazy. Half way through the first lap, after half a dozen other falls, I was trying to figure out why my brakes wouldn't work. Finally realized the brakes were fine. I just couldn't pull the lever hard enough. My forarms were so trashed I couln't even make a fist. (Hell I can barely type or write even now..lol) I was basically just along for the ride if I hit a rut wrong, couldn't correct it to save my life. I'm not even sure how many trees I hit. Or how many times I was hit by other riders.
    When I finally made it to the run up to the finish line, I even went down there. Not even sure what happened. I went through the finish line and told them I was done..
    Would have been really stupid to continue. I also probably only had about 10oz's of my 100oz's of water left. Probably would have died on the trail. lol
    Not sure what time I did the lap in. When I finally turned the timer off about twenty or so minutes later it was at 107 minutes.

I'm really glad I did it. But I would have to do some serious training beforehand. I just don't get to ride enough.

Sucks we didn't get to meet back up with you guys.

Edit: Oh, and my ribs hurt when I breath today. Lol

Me.
    [​IMG]

Jesse in green.
    [​IMG]
  18. 400psi

400psi Cropdusting

Oddometer:
    Awesome! it was really great to meet you guys. I hate we missed you after the race.
    I had a great time yesterday! Nice recap of the race. That mudhole/ hillclimb was a bitch
  19. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep, that was a pretty brutal course! those pictures are great, they show #86(our buddy josh) stalled trying to restart!

good to meet you guys. let us know when you want to go for a non super intense ride
  20. dirtysouthjacket

Oddometer:
    Sorry, we didn't stay around. We finished the race, laid around the trailers, packed up, turned our transponders in, and hurried up to get in the car at 3pm, so we could sit in traffic til 5pm. We should have parked and came to your trailer.

But yeah. Holy crap!!! That was so intense!

I had so much adrenaline going at the start. I've been involved in racing in some form or fashion over the years, mostly in college. But always in a support, engineering role. Never as a racer. The dead engine start only helped to intensify the awesomeness of the start. I got some good video of that. Me and Jonathan were in a drag race. Video evidence shows that he won the sprint to the corner, but only cause I could barely keep the front end down and the back end was sliding everwhere. Going to have to practice dead engine drag racing sometime. But Jonathan I got good video of you almost wiping out on that second turn.

But then we got to that monster hill at the start. I think it took me 7 mins to get up it. LOL
    I paused at the bottom to let the congestion clear and then followed two guys up. One guy stopped and dropped his bike in the middle of the trail, so I slowed down and then stopped and fell over. I ended up having to go back down the hill, and let 3 or 4 other classes pass me before I got back up it. Had a hard time starting the bike. But everyone cheered when I reached the top. :lol3

So yeah after that and all the kicking of the bike, I was beat like Jonathan. So I took it pretty easy, let every one pass me. I got lucky on the big hill after the mud bog and actually passed a few people. I had one other small silly drop. But I stopped 6 or 7 times on the first lap to recharge. I wiped out on on the outside of one of the hairpins on the motocross part of the tracks. A lady came up to me and offered me water and words of encouragement. I hung out there for about 3 mins and just watched dudes fly by. At this point I think I was getting double lapped. I went back after the race and thanked the lady and her husband. There was one big downhill that I ended up not being able to hold the brake and clutch in and I went down hard and saw some stars. Probably going to get the helmet inspected after that one. I got up and tried to drink some water and was all out. 3/4 of the way through the first lap and I was out of water! I finished the first lap in 1.5 hours. :rofl

But the second lap went much better, about halfway through it, a guy rides up next to me with a safety vest on and says he is the race sweeper and that I'm the last rider on the track. I ended up only stopping maybe once I think. And then had two drops. One I did a nice stoppie over the handlebars on a downhill and the bike was stopped straight in the air on its nose. Too bad the gopro had already died. The race sweeper was nice and helped me pick the bike up. We got to one of the final checkpoints and a safety guy said I had to quit, and I said hell no and that the pros weren't going for another 45 mins. The race sweeper backed me up and they let me keep going. It actually wasn't too bad since I had the track to myself! But I finished the second lap in about 57 mins and if I am right, the second lap was longer than the first by about 1.5 miles due to the start location. All in all had an awesome time. I got a brush guard ripped off, a big contusion on my left thigh, maybe mildly concussed, and a big bruise on the back of my left calf from a guys front forks hitting me from behind. Forearms are also shot like Jonathans.

I'll edit the video and get it up. Only really got the start because a tree took out the video around the 18 min mark. :lol3

Good to meet you guys, are you thinking about going to the RDV rally in May?