Toggle switch or button? (roadbook)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Mike_MRS, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Mike_MRS

Mike_MRS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions on suitable button backs/covers?
  2. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    How are you going to wire it so you don't blow a fuse when you accidently press both buttons at the same time? There are ways to do it with the right type of pushbutton switches, but I'm not sure you can find small enough switches with the right features.

I think the toggle is easy to use, but they are slightly more prone to breaking if you crash and hit something just wrong.
  3. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Buttons all the way...

have been using these Touratech thingies side by side (also great for when running two trip computers)

[​IMG]
  4. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    Most of the pros use toggle :dunno
  5. fimp

fimp Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would prefer the buttons but that is my personal feeling and not my opinion as an engineer. :D:deal

APEM buttons are of very good quality and will survive most of the things you will throw at them :D but when they fail (as with the toggle of course) they do this without any warning.

My concern is that I have not seen a serviceable combo switch. Touratech, F2r, RNS etc ... They are all sealed. That means if I break the toggle I need to change the combo... Not good... It should be done this way and if the toggle is either damaged from an accident or if it fails you can change it with just an allen key :deal ...
    The only credit I give to Touratech is that it has a thin profile and you can fit two side by side as Brodovitch did... But then again the reverse button is a pain in the a$$ to use, you have to be a monkey or something... :D

As far as functionality goes, I prefer the toggle feeling but that is personal....

May be the people who use the combo ones can comment on their survive ability ? :huh
  7. italrally

italrally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nearly nobody from the rally pros use more touratech switches. to much problems in the sand !

There are a lot o better products on the market, look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. CPWSAFARI

CPWSAFARI Silverback

Oddometer:
    [
    My concern is that I have not seen a serviceable combo switch. Touratech, F2r, RNS etc ... They are all sealed. That means if I break the toggle I need to change the combo... Not good... It should be done this way and if the toggle is either damaged from an accident or if it fails you can change it with just an allen key :deal ...

The new combo switch on the KTM450RR has a replaceable toggle - not sure who makes them ?
  9. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depends on what "servicable" means to you. A lot of these remote models, including the F2R,Meca double button model and a similiar model from OZZO racng, seal their switches in hard epoxy, which makes it near impossible to remove. Had to fix a unit for a mate a few months ago, a real PITA with a mini grinder!

I use silicone on my models, similar to what is in the inside of an ICO unit or inside your CDI unit on your bike. It's sturdy enough not the brake in any way, seals the inside of the toggle switch hole ENTIRELY and is removable with a blade/screw driver if needs be. The KTM model has a plastic plug to fill the hole, not sure if the inside is still with silicone, I doubt it though...
  10. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Usually the buttons will service the rider without any problems if they are of good quality, I was more thinking about the toggle switch which is at the bottom :ear ... May be easier to break? :ear Of course the sealing and everything makes everything harder. At least the toggle may be able to be sealed on its own compartment without any silicon but just a sealed cover ? :huh Then you could just replace the thing ? :huh